Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d Wireless USB Stick Advice

Hi Guys,

I apologise if this has been covered in depth. I can't seem to find any clarity on this stick model yet though. I just bought a Linksys Cisco AE2500 USB wireless dongle for my M20d. Yes, I know it's got an "A" in the model name, and the compatible dongle stated was just an E2500 - but I took a punt on buying this one, as the E2500 is almost non-existent in my country (Australia). Anyway, I plug it in to the M20d, and wait for it to initialise/be recognised, but nothing happens - the M20d just says "Status: No network adapter present". So is that it then.. give it a bin burial? I had hoped both models would be virtually identical. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If the M20d doesn't recognise it then there is nothing you can do about it - it is not going to work.  The A probably indicated an different chip set that the M20d firmware is not compatible with.  

I can't remember which USB Wifi adaptor I got but it was on the list and going cheap from Amazon and as long as I use a USB extension cable to move it away from the mixer (I have a 2m cable) then it works great - I have had it working over 40m away (open field), so the devices do work - but I have 2 that were not on the list and I get exactly the same response from the M20d that you do.

The main advice these day as the recommended devices go obsolete and Line 6 don't provide a firmware update to support newer devices is to get the Apple USB to Network adaptor and then use any WiFi Hub that you want - Airport Express is often suggested but any will work.

• Upvote 1

If the M20d doesn't recognise it then there is nothing you can do about it - it is not going to work.  The A probably indicated an different chip set that the M20d firmware is not compatible with.  

Brilliant Rewolf.. that's really what I was wondering about - thanks very much. I'm on to my second stick now, as those recommended are hard to find over here. But all good.. I'll keep looking for a recommended one.

The most reliable way to go for the M20d wireless app is the Apple products. Don't know exactly why but I've almost never heard anything but how simple, easy, and fast it is to set up the wireless connection using the Apple USB adapter and Airport Express. I've heard about a lot of problems trying to use other adapters, even the recommended ones.

I went with the Apple setup running the app on my iPad. Took two minutes, worked immediately, and I haven't had a single issue. Works first time every time.

• Upvote 1

This is more of a heads up as I too use the Apple ethernet adapter to non Apple dual band router setup. My M20 shares a rack with 2 Line 6 XDV wireless mic units and whilst my iPad connected no problem, we started to get mic drop outs, which wed never had before using the adapter/router. At first we thought maybe outside interference but the solution was to disable the 2.4Mhz side of the router and run in 5Ghz only. We've done some pretty big gigs since with no dropouts.

• Upvote 2

It's cool that peeps have had various sticks work that aren't documented as such - it keeps things interesting! It's also interesting to me that, in the "official Line 6 wireless dongle setup video" on You Tube, Sean Halley (surely the most assured product demo guy ever?) actually uses a Cisco Linksys AE1000 stick, which I don't remember as being a recommended one, or even documented or discussed anywhere for that matter. And then, the one that IS officially documented is the later E2500 model. So with my Jethro 6th grade edumercation, I thought I'd extrapolate the two and presume the AE2500 a sure bet. Lucky for me I've got Jed's oil inheritance coming..

Edit: I just realised the E2500 is actually a full router, whereas the AE2500 is just the usb stick that pairs to it. So perhaps the "A" is just code for 'adapter'? Duh...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi...I just bought a M20d and very new here...What type of USB wifi dongle will work to hook up my ipad?  

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/stagescape-m20d-mixer/wifi-connectivity-sd-card-compatibility-r112

... and for more info.....

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/stagescape-m20d-mixer/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the links.  I've just picked up a Samsun WIS12ABGNX  wifi adapter (on the approved list) and it seems to work just fine.  I notice it comes with a 500mm extension cable which I assume is for use with televisions to give it a bit more range?  Is anyone else using this adaptor?, and do you use the extension cable?...mine seems to be working just fine without it but maybe out at a gig and I'm 40 ft. out front it might not work so well?

I have a different adaptor but I find that it barely has any range when plugged in directly - perhaps 20ft. With a 2m USB extension chord I am able to put the adaptor on top of one of the speakers (M20d typically at side of stage) and I have had full control from 50m away at an outdoor gig.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Good News, there is a wifi adapter that you can get that is cheap and will work with the M20d.  I bought it on AliExpress.  In total cost just $12.40.  The only draw back is it comes from China and takes about 3 weeks to arrive if you live in the US.  Simply search for WIS12ABGNX and you should find the USB Wifi adapter for Samsung  TV's (See attached photo).  Works great and it's cheap.   What more can you ask for?   

IMG_1190.PNG

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one. 

I've tried 3 "modern" wifi adapters with the m20d and none work. 

Is anyone using a current adapter that's readily available with success? Could you link me to one?

The few recommendations listed previously are exceedingly rare finds. The Samsung one is going for $200 on ebay!

Thank you!

For reference, from @Line6Tony 's "official" recommendations from 2016:

• EnGenius EUB-9801
    • Linksys AE1000
    • Samsung WIS10ABGN
    • Apple USB to Ethernet adapter (UPC: 885909439560) in conjunction with a WiFi Ethernet router
    • 5/18/2020 update: We expect that many modern adapters, especially name-brand, will work, but we don’t have any in particular to recommend

Before you invest in an adapter be sure your mobile device (iOS, Android) is running an OS version that is supported by the (not recently update) M20d firmware. For iOS I believe the M20d wi-fi capability ended with iOS 13. Devices running iOS 14.x are no longer compatible with the M20d wi-fi feature.

• Like 1