Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noise from USB

Flotsam71

Hey guys ...just wondering if the HUM X thing will get rid of noise from USB... I get a very annoying static...white noise, when connected to PC. Mouse movements...anything on PC creates noise through guitar amp. Even if helix is off. Is this the same as ground loop noise. Helix is off as playback device...so that's not the issue. I tried a USB issolater from amazon. PC didn't see helix anymore...so retuned it. Using a laptop stoped noise...so I'm thinking HUM X will work on PC. Any thoughts guys?? Thanks!!

I don't think it will work. Sorry.

But I hope if you try it that I'm wrong.

I used to have a problem with noise with an interface in my house, but used a laptop, so I just unplugged the power supply from the laptop while recording and dealt with it that way.

I have the same issue when hooking up my Helix to my pc with USB. I built an isolation transformer to put between the 1/4" out of the Helix & the 1/4" input of my power amp. Yes sounds like a ground loop to me. The available isolation devices should take care of it - Isolating either part (USB or audio path) will help, and the most common ones are available like you say. Was not familiar with USB isolators, but that apparently did not pan out for you... Not specifically familiar with Hum X, but if it's made for audio with either 1/4" or XLR (or both) they work fine.

My main desktop pc is on one electrical circuit, and my Helix & amp on the other side of the room on an outlet apparently from another circuit. I made my isolation transformer about 8 - 10 years ago, just a little thing in a project box... I use it whenever I hook up my Helix to the pc. Have not tried my laptop with the Helix, as I don't have the software on it. It's Win10, so I should try it just to see if I have any problems from that....

Dave

Do you have any additional audio outs connected from you're laptop to the speakers? 

RCA or 1/8 or something like that?

I had a huge amount of USB buzz with my unit and got rid of most of it by disconnecting my 1/8" wire from the laptop output (which was connected to the same speakers I'm monitoring the Helix through)....

Good luck. Do write to support. They're a bit slow, but helpful!

• 4 weeks later...