Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My first finished track with the Helix Rack

SvenMagnus

Hi,

Here's my first song with the Helix :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2553312/OUT/Music/Electric%20Ant/Anthem%20of%20the%20Living.mp3

The main synth line is my bass going through a custom Helix patch, with some external processing added... there's some guitars too, mostly at the end, but they're a little less prominent.

I'm curious what you guys think... Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Hi,

Here's my first song with the Helix :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2553312/OUT/Music/Electric%20Ant/Anthem%20of%20the%20Living.mp3

The main synth line is my bass going through a custom Helix patch, with some external processing added... there's some guitars too, mostly at the end, but they're a little less prominent.

I'm curious what you guys think... Thanks!

I really liked it, had a 'Techno/Electronica' feel to it. Nice to see all kinds of genres being played with the Helix, particularly ones I don't ordinarily listen to or hear on the Forum.

Wickedly cool, a hard exit ramp off my usual listening highway. I really have no idea what I am hearing or the effects, etc being used. Is that all priv or can you tell us some of the things you were doing? 

Sure.. The main synth that's used throughout is created by sending my Ibanez SR1800 bass through the Helix. The patch is like this : 3 OSC Synth > Vermin -> SV Beast Brit.

Then in Logic Pro X, I run it through Izotope Alloy 2 for some compression and eq'ing, and then through the Glitch plugin for some stutter and the tape stop effects, and sometimes I switch on Logic's bitchrusher. I also added some sidechain compression, but I'm now thinking I have to increase that a bit, to make it pump more.

There's a simple melody at the end of the song (at about 02:17, and it repeats later) that's played with a Dusenberg guitar, through one of the Helix presets (I think it was Plexi Monster), and this is also run through both Alloy 2 and Glitch. There's a second guitar in there too, but would be very hard to explain which sound it is :)

The other synth sounds are all Logic's Alchemy. I also used Glitch on them.

Sure.. The main synth that's used throughout is created by sending my Ibanez SR1800 bass through the Helix. The patch is like this : 3 OSC Synth > Vermin -> SV Beast Brit.

Interesting that you chose the Vermin with the '3 OSC Synth'. I posted a couple of days ago that the 'Vermin' was my favorite distortion sound with the synth block after experimenting with all of the drive/distortion blocks. I don't usually use the 'Vermin' so I would not ordinarily have employed it but it sounds just right to my ears with the synth.

Interesting that you chose the Vermin with the '3 OSC Synth'. I posted a couple of days ago that the 'Vermin' was my favorite distortion sound with the synth block after experimenting with all of the drive/distortion blocks. I don't usually use the 'Vermin' so I would not ordinarily have employed it but it sounds just right to my ears with the synth.

Yeah, I think the Phat Rat preset inspired me to try that distortion. I like the harshness.

It also sounds great after a Mutant Filter, that produces some very usable electro sounds too, at least when used on bass.