Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use Direct Output for foldback purpose?

BOLDRON

Hi everyone!

We have just bought with my band a HF in-ear system for foldback purpose.

In addition to voices and drums, we would like to get guitars and bass into our in-ear plugs as well, without using mics to pick-up the speakers.

Then, we have tried to connect a standard XLR cable into the Direct Out plug of my HD100 Spider Valve, through our mixing table (on which our HF in-ear system is connected too).

Unfortunately, we have not managed to get any sound out from the Direct Output, while the usual guitar sound came out from the amplifier speakers. Even by turning up the master volume knob on the amplifier, it just turns up the volume out of speakers and has no effect on Direct Output volume. Moreover, there is no additional knob to set the Direct Output volume, unlike the HD100 MKII.

I have found only contents about recordings with this Direct Output, not about foldback purpose (which means to have both signals out from speakers and out from Direct Output, not only out from Direct Output).

Therefore, has anyone already used it for that purpose?

If yes, how have you done it?

Have you faced the same problem of signal absence?

How do you set the direct output volume independently on the master volume of your guitar speakers?

Thank you in advance for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do this all the time when I was using my SV MkII (Same preamp and user manual as the HD100).

Press the Presets knob, press the L/R arrows until SETUP is displayed, Press UP/DOWN, Choose->DirOut->Studio.

Now you can use your Direct Out XLR jack to the mixing console. This is a post Preamp/FX send that is not affected by the Master Volume on the HD100 (use that for stage volume, or just put it to off if you have other monitors), but the LEVEL setting for the patch will affect the volume sent to the console since it is part of the preamp sound.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1