Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for a handful of folks to test new Cab IR library

jroseberry

I won't be able to test now, but I am wondering where you will be selling these packs, among some of your others (if you have them).

I want to give them a go, and everyone here seems to love them, and they rival or beat the main IR distributors.  

So once you get them readily available to purchase show the site, so I can purchase them. 

I won't be able to test now, but I am wondering where you will be selling these packs, among some of your others (if you have them).

I want to give them a go, and everyone here seems to love them, and they rival or beat the main IR distributors.  

So once you get them readily available to purchase show the site, so I can purchase them. 

I'll post a link once the site is updated... and the pack if officially released.

Cost will be minimal...

Like most everyone else, I'm really liking your IRs.  Here's my sample - this is with the Brit 2204 amp w/KWB distortion in front, followed by a pair of your SM7b IRs at edge and center-off positions, transistor tape delay, and reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/user-22828532/x-49-100

Thanks!

Nice!  Thanks for posting.

Amazing just how different each player's examples sound.

• Upvote 1

NOTE:  I always use a high-pass (low-cut) filter prior to the Amp block.

If you're hearing too much bottom end using the IRs... and you're not using a high-pass filter prior to the Amp block, please try doing so.

It makes a world of difference (really tightens up and cleans up the bottom end).

If you're also a Fractal user, I'd recommend doing the same (for the same exact reasons).

Nice!  Thanks for posting.

Amazing just how different each player's examples sound.

Thanks!

I did forget to mention that I also have an SY-300 guitar synth in the loop which is running a very simple bass tone with a high pass cut providing some low bass on a separate track.  If you're note above is referring to that, that's my addition (for better or for worse) and should not reflect on the IRs themselves.  Personally, I liked the addition - I thought it thickened up the track with a good bassy big-sound fullness. :)  When I listen to that "bass" track by itself it's more of an ambient rumble that is felt as much as heard.  I liked it.

Anyway ... loving the IRs.  I have your IRs in one snapshot and my other favorite OwnHammer IRs in another so I could quickly switch between them.  I definitely noticed the lack of fizz in yours that was present in the OwnHammers that my ears must have become immune to before even though I have a 6k high-cut on the OwnHammers.  Comparing both side-by-side switching back and forth, the difference is very noticeable.  You've mentioned that was one of your goals, and I can definitely say that you have succeeded.  :)  Both IRs snapshots use a 72 Hz low-cut in the IR blocks.

Thanks!

I did forget to mention that I also have an SY-300 guitar synth in the loop which is running a very simple bass tone with a high pass cut providing some low bass on a separate track.  If you're note above is referring to that, that's my addition (for better or for worse) and should not reflect on the IRs themselves.  Personally, I liked the addition - I thought it thickened up the track with a good bassy big-sound fullness. :)  When I listen to that "bass" track by itself it's more of an ambient rumble that is felt as much as heard.  I liked it.

Anyway ... loving the IRs.  I have your IRs in one snapshot and my other favorite OwnHammer IRs in another so I could quickly switch between them.  I definitely noticed the lack of fizz in yours that was present in the OwnHammers that my ears must have become immune to before even though I have a 6k high-cut on the OwnHammers.  Comparing both side-by-side switching back and forth, the difference is very noticeable.  You've mentioned that was one of your goals, and I can definitely say that you have succeeded.   :)  Both IRs snapshots use a 72 Hz low-cut in the IR blocks.

Wasn't referring to your example (or any others posted) when talking about the high-pass filter.   ;)

I just wanted to mention that... in case someone was finding the bottom end a little much.

On distorted sounds, a high-pass filter before the Amp block does wonders...

Glad you like the IRs... and the lack of "fizz".

Ironically, no EQ or filtering was used during or after the capture process.

Instead, we tried to get the sound "right" upfront... so no further filtering of the top-end was necessary.

In regards to the bottom, I wanted to leave a little of the "boom" in there... because sometimes it's cool and it's easy to pull that out (high-pass filter) without otherwise affecting the tone.

• Upvote 1

Really like your IRs; the SM57 1.5" edge is one of my favourites, as is the CV7. They have a real Cab-in-the-room kind of quality, very inspiring. I did a quick (and very dirty) recording with Garageband on the iPad, but unfortunately I'm not able to get a Soundcloud account working to upload the recording. Will try to follow up. I'll keep you posted when I get it to work.

Thanks!

Really like your IRs; the SM57 1.5" edge is one of my favourites, as is the CV7. They have a real Cab-in-the-room kind of quality, very inspiring. I did a quick (and very dirty) recording with Garageband on the iPad, but unfortunately I'm not able to get a Soundcloud account working to upload the recording. Will try to follow up. I'll keep you posted when I get it to work.

Thanks!

Finally got it to work.

https://soundcloud.com/user-219692670/jroseberry

I used your preset with the SM57 1,5" edge IR and the "thump" engaged.

One of things that I noticed that your preset was significantly louder than my normal presets. Most of the time I try to keep the level the same as the default setting of the Helix amps and cab give. I was a bit scared to get the signal into clipping, but obviously I'm way on the safe side.

Thanks again Jim!

• Upvote 1

I dislike the whole 57 vocal mic thing many so seem to love, Jim's are by far the best sounding but for me its the larger condensers CV4 I like, to me the 57 IRs, I have tried so many, while very popular apparently, to me sound so thin and mid rangy, the guitar is already midrange. I prefer Ribbon mics. Like to see JIm get some Ribbon mics. He does not have a bad IR in the bunch, even his 57 stuff is good which is not an easy thing for me. Really do not care for that sound. I also have some Ownhammer Ribbon mics I like a lot as well. I think its more like the recording guys like that sound and frequency restricted response and the 57 thing, to me I like I more rich and full range sound. Roseberry's IRs get a big thumbs up from me. Seems like he has something in there no matter your preferred tone ideal.

Dig the Neve stuff as well, love to have a Mesa Cali V EQ curve on one of those notching about -3db at 750hz and a slight V on the low and high end. Dig the Thump 1 a lot myself. 

• Upvote 1

I dislike the whole 57 vocal mic thing many so seem to love, Jim's are by far the best sounding but for me its the larger condensers CV4 I like, to me the 57 IRs, I have tried so many, while very popular apparently, to me sound so thin and mid rangy, the guitar is already midrange. I prefer Ribbon mics. Like to see JIm get some Ribbon mics. He does not have a bad IR in the bunch, even his 57 stuff is good which is not an easy thing for me. Really do not care for that sound. I also have some Ownhammer Ribbon mics I like a lot as well. I think its more like the recording guys like that sound and frequency restricted response and the 57 thing, to me I like I more rich and full range sound. Roseberry's IRs get a big thumbs up from me. Seems like he has something in there no matter your preferred tone ideal.

Dig the Neve stuff as well, love to have a Mesa Cali V EQ curve on one of those notching about -3db at 750hz and a slight V on the low and high end. Dig the Thump 1 a lot myself.

Cv4 sounds great in isolation but when it comes to mixing entire tracks, especially with distorted guitars, you lose a lot of definition. 57's can sound thin in isolation but they sit can sit in a track much better.

Finally got it to work.

https://soundcloud.com/user-219692670/jroseberry

I used your preset with the SM57 1,5" edge IR and the "thump" engaged.

One of things that I noticed that your preset was significantly louder than my normal presets. Most of the time I try to keep the level the same as the default setting of the Helix amps and cab give. I was a bit scared to get the signal into clipping, but obviously I'm way on the safe side.

Thanks again Jim!

Hey Edwin, 

Was digging that example.  Thanks for posting it.

Particularly liked the melody.  What amp were you using?

When playing in isolation, the tendency is to gravitate toward a larger/fuller sound.

An SM57 (with no EQ) probably isn't the most inspiring mic for this type scenario.

The "Thump" tone-shaping IRs add a boost at 150Hz.  That'll help thicken up the SM57 sound.

In a band/ensemble environment, too much bottom end and you wind up stepping on the bass and kick drum.

It's a delicate balance of not neutering the guitar sound... and not killing low end clarity of the full mix.

I'll create a Neve "Cali V EQ curve".  Thanks for the suggestion.

Working on some combination IRs as we speak...

Cv4 sounds great in isolation but when it comes to mixing entire tracks, especially with distorted guitars, you lose a lot of definition. 57's can sound thin in isolation but they sit can sit in a track much better.

This is true with many condenser mics.

They capture a more "Hi-Fi", full bodied, detailed tone... but lack the aggressive nature of a dynamic.

The CV4 maintains more of that aggressive quality than many condensers.

Part of this is due to the frequency response being more flat (no presence peak in the mids).

You can put a little bump in the mids... and it helps considerably.  Try the 1.5kHz mid boost IR.

Common practice is to mic with both a nice condenser and dynamic... and mix the two to taste.

You get the best of both worlds...

Hey Edwin,

Was digging that example. Thanks for posting it.

Particularly liked the melody. What amp were you using?

Thanks!

For both guitar parts I used your Marshall preset (iirc it's the 2204 Modded amp model) with my Les Paul. Left part was neck pickup with guitar volume at about 6-7 and right part bridge pickup with volume maxed.

I actually thought I would not like these IRs, since I also tried the OH free Mesa 412 and I didn't like them too much. Also, I don't like the Helix Mesa 412 cab too much. For Marshall sounds I prefer the Helix Marshall cabs with the 160 ribbon mic. But I think your IRs really stand out. Can't wait to try 'm in other settings. I'm also really digging your thump EQ tone shaping IR.

But if I may make some suggestions for creating IR sets, it would be a Marshall 412s (from the 60s), a Bluesbraker-style 212, a Fender Twin Reverb 212 and a Fender Bassman 410

Again, thanks!

• Upvote 1

Thanks!

For both guitar parts I used your Marshall preset (iirc it's the 2204 Modded amp model) with my Les Paul. Left part was neck pickup with guitar volume at about 6-7 and right part bridge pickup with volume maxed.

I actually thought I would not like these IRs, since I also tried the OH free Mesa 412 and I didn't like them too much. Also, I don't like the Helix Mesa 412 cab too much. For Marshall sounds I prefer the Helix Marshall cabs with the 160 ribbon mic. But I think your IRs really stand out. Can't wait to try 'm in other settings. I'm also really digging your thump EQ tone shaping IR.

But if I may make some suggestions for creating IR sets, it would be a Marshall 412s (from the 60s), a Bluesbraker-style 212, a Fender Twin Reverb 212 and a Fender Bassman 410

Again, thanks!

Thanks again for the feedback.  Much appreciated.

Great suggestions on future cabs!  

Thanks Aaron.

Like that minor chord in the B section.

Using the Fatality amp?

Using the PV Panama Amp....

Just listened to it and realize the tone needs quite a bit of work.

This particular sound however, was achieved in about 5 minutes, copying Troll1337's signal chain, hence not bad :)..

Need more time with these but awesome work JR.

Using the PV Panama Amp....

Just listened to it and realize the tone needs quite a bit of work.

This particular sound however, was achieved in about 5 minutes, copying Troll1337's signal chain, hence not bad :)..

Need more time with these but awesome work JR.

Updated with Troll's tone (thanks!), minus the compressor.

Sounds a little too distant to me...

https://soundcloud.com/baron-toria/jr-ir-test-helix

What do you guys think?

Again, need more time with these :). 

• 5 weeks later...

I have found the the new Archon Lead paired with Jim's B56_Edge IR is absolutely magical.  I may never use another Amp/IR combo ever again. LOL.  If any of you on here have Jim's IR pack give that combo a try.  I have pretty much nailed my Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII tone with this combo now.  I'm smiling ear to ear.  Thanks Jim....

• 2 weeks later...