Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Virgin Vetta Combo Set Up

HB99

Hello all.  I've been using my Vetta since 2002 (purchased in Moline, Illinois and shipped to Germany and back to IL for the last 12 years) and have NEVER updated it (reasons and excuses are long and boring).

I've been downloading tons of info and software versions for the past 2 days now.

I had to go to town (30 miles away) today for my daughter's chemo treatment so I dropped by my "local" music store and ordered a M-Audio USB UNO Midi Interface from them.  It should arrive in a few days.  Until then...I read, read, read...

I'm sure you know by now that this only leads to more confusion.  I have more than a few questions and concerns before I start the update process.

Before I start, I am running Windows 10.  I've only downloaded the Windows 10 version of the programs.  I noticed that Line 6 Edit doesn't have a Windows 10 version.  I still have my old desktop with XP for a back up, but I may have to download the XP versions based upon your input. 

Here are my most important ones:

1.  Do I need to upload each version of the updates in order or can I just skip to the last one?  This would also apply to each of the programs.

2.  Are the different patch files compatible?  (V1.01, 1.03. 1.05 and 1.10 are .syx files while the Vetta II are .l6t).  Can both be loaded (mixed), or are only .syx files used?   

3.  How long is the upgrade process?  And the patch upload process?  I would like to know if it takes 1 hour or if it's going to be an all day event.

4.  Is Line 6 Edit necessary in the upload process?  If it is then I should probably use the Win XP PC for this.

5.  I also noticed several complaints about dead Vettas after uploading an Armens (?) 2.05 program.  And this site took the program down.  I think it's best to leave that alone.

Thanks to all who leave a comment and to those who just stop by to read my ramblings.

Bill

Hey there I just went through this last week so check the posts out as it should help you.

This site never had the Armin's mod and if you go that route forget about using L6 Edit. The cabs are not recognized and will lock things up.

You only need to update to the latest 2.5 if that is your goal - one file. The process takes ~ 15-20 minutes and includes new patches for that firmware.

I used an XP pc and it worked. You need to go through and test your Vetta with the Uno using the old version of L6 Edit V2 (in the DL section check the archived or old software box as it is the oooOOoold one and is the only one that works for the old Vetta firmware) - change patches, save stuff, etc to make sure everything connects and there are no issues. When you are confident you can go two ways - MidiOx loading of the firmware or the L6 Monkey V1.19 version I used (it was nice as Monkey actually walks you through the steps).

There is a real good Facebook group so search it out there, the files you want and more experienced people than I are there. If you decide to go the MidiOx route there are instructions there and ways to possibly fix your 70 lb brick. :)

Hope that helps!

Bill

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Just getting a reply has put my mind at ease...some.  ; ' )

It's not really a brick.  I've been using it for years.  Something did burn out a couple of years ago.  Had to go to Chicago to get it fixed after a year of them not being able to get me in for repairs.  Luckily I have a couple other amps sitting around for playing.  Truth is, I didn't miss it much since I went solely to 12 string acoustic for a couple of years now.  Playing a 6 string is still feeling a little weird.

Changes in scheduling now has me going to "the cities" (Quad Cities, IL/IA) on Wednesday instead of tomorrow.  I won't get my cable until then.

I'll have to DL some software now.  What I have now are just the latest versions.

As for FaceBook...it'll NEVER happen for me.  I haven't even ever sent a text or tweeted...old school.  If anyone wants to contact me they need to do it the old fashioned way:  on the phone.  I don't even take pictures with the camera.  I have a camera for that.  LOL

Again, thanks for the assistance.  Time to get to work.

How large is your patch library?  All links to patches, even on Vettaville, are dead.  Any chance of zipping and emailing a bundle to me? 

Bill @ homebrewer_99@yahoo.com

UPDATE:  I found L6 Monkey V1.19 in the archives, but L6 Edit only goes back as far as V2.05.2.  The good news is it states to use Monkey higher than 1.08.

Again, thanks.

Bill

NOTE:  I'll mark this as SOLVED after I update the Vetta...just to be sure.

That version of Edit should be cool and it is the best way to test the midi in/outs.

If I had a patch library I would be more than happy to send it to you but I just blanked the whole user patch sections to start over with the V2.5 firmware. You can probably check out the Custom Tone library here but TBH you probably already make better tones then what are there. :)

If I do stumble across a some good archives I will keep you in mind.

Good Luck too my man, hope everything goes smooth!

Bill

BillBee:  I was hunting through some old hard drives of mine and found an old library of patches.  The .syx files (now melded with "newer" patches) is just under 2MB and just under 1100 patches.  I've done a bit of culling on duplicates (including ones with minor spelling differences) and removed about 200 of them.

I'm getting a bit anxious now.  UPLOAD PARTY!

If you're interested in a copy contact me at homebrewer_99@yahoo.com.

Later...

Bill

• Upvote 1