Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 First Impressions at Band Volume(now with Band)

Old-Rocker

This is a follow up to my Possible DT25 Purchase,thread.

As i posted in previous thread,i have bought the DT25,but i couldn't get a band practice organised,so i took the Amp over to our normal practice room,where i'm very familiar with my normal sound/volume,i also took the Amp i've been using for about 12 mths to compare.

Plugged the DT in no downloading,just the Amp at factory settings.

This Amp will nail my required sounds & is (to me)way better than my present amp,which i didn't bother to plug in :)

I can't believe this amp uses the same pre-amp tech as the 500X(which i have read on the forum is the case),i tried for months to get a usable sound out of a 500X,but gave up & sold it,all my posts are probably find able,if anyone's bothered or interested.

I will only need Topology 2 & 4(from now on T2,T4),

T2,A & B,will give me my Rhythm/Lead ,versions of my Rhythm & Blues/Rock & Roll sounds(think driven Feelgood,Stones,early James Burton(Ricky Nelson era).

T4,A & B will give me Rhythm/Lead versions of my more used Rock/Blues sound(Billy Gibbons ish).

Now what i need to be able to do is to Switch A & B(easy with a Footswitch),but i think more difficult switch T2 ,T4.

Just realised as i'm writing this,i can't do what i'm thinking,all the CH A/B Gain.Eq controls are static :( ,back to the drawing board :huh:

Anyway back to the sound,i can't believe i've never seen/heard on of these in use at a gig.

Sorry for my rambling,disjointed post,they always end up like this(old age)

• Upvote 1

Now what i need to be able to do is to Switch A & B(easy with a Footswitch),but i think more difficult switch T2 ,T4.

Just realised as i'm writing this,i can't do what i'm thinking,all the CH A/B Gain.Eq controls are static :( ,back to the drawing board :huh:

Anyway back to the sound,i can't believe i've never seen/heard on of these in use at a gig.

Yep, you just discovered that even though you can load 8 different amp/cab/reverb settings it is STILL only a 2 channel amp.  That was the benefit of the HD500 as it seamlessly integrated with the DT allowing you to switch between 30 different amp/cab settings along with the effects chain and remembered all the knob positions for each patch.  Might be worth picking up a used one cheap and giving it a whirl with the L6 link.

• Upvote 1

Yep, you just discovered that even though you can load 8 different amp/cab/reverb settings it is STILL only a 2 channel amp.  That was the benefit of the HD500 as it seamlessly integrated with the DT allowing you to switch between 30 different amp/cab settings along with the effects chain and remembered all the knob positions for each patch.  Might be worth picking up a used one cheap and giving it a whirl with the L6 link.

But will it ruin the sound of the DT ?,i really couldn't get a single usable patch out of the 500X i had & i'm talking,just simply a good dry Guitar sound,not effects.

But will it ruin the sound of the DT ?,i really couldn't get a single usable patch out of the 500X i had & i'm talking,just simply a good dry Guitar sound,not effects.

I certainly didn't have problems with the tones from the HD500 and DT.  It really opens up the full potetntial of the DT by giving you such controlover the various parameters you can't control otherwise and having all 30 amps and cabs available is huge.

• Upvote 1

Radatats,If you don't mind me pursuing the 500X pre into DT question,are you saying you find that the 500X pre into the DT,works just as well as using the DT pre ? 

Also,from reading manuals etc,am i correct that when using the 500X into the DT,the Guitar is plugged into the 500X input,then the Guitar(as well as control) signal is carried by the L6 link via an AES 110 Ohm. cable?.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Also,from reading manuals etc,am i correct that when using the 500X into the DT,the Guitar is plugged into the 500X input,then the Guitar(as well as control) signal is carried by the L6 link via an AES 110 Ohm. cable?.

Correct.

• Upvote 1

Radatats,If you don't mind me pursuing the 500X pre into DT question,are you saying you find that the 500X pre into the DT,works just as well as using the DT pre ? 

Thanks.

I sold my 500 last year to get the helix but yes, I found it just fine with the DT, no big difference in tone.  Some folks claim its not the same but I never found that to be the case.  And being able to switch the amps and effects was absolutely worth it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks,Radatats.I'll chew on it & maybe try & beg/borrow a 500X & see how i feel.

I have to say that after months of failure & frustration with the GT100 & HD500X,i vowed i would NEVER buy such a device again,in fact i said to the boss,if i ever bring one of these MFX pedals into the house again,she could have me certified as insane & cart me off to the nearest institution,she can't wait, :(

But the idea of having instant recall of my DT settings,might make me risk it.

Don't even want to think about the consequences of a Helix. :D

• Upvote 2

As with Rads I must say I've not had the same sort of problems. I've managed to get such good sounds direct from the pod that I've stopped taking the DT to gigs and just take JTV, pod and a small rucksack. My back is loving it!

I did get the opportunity to A/B a 500x and Helix at Yamaha in London and although I didn't have 'my' patches they were happy for me to save settings on both and after 30 mins or so I am now saving up for a Helix!!

I know the pod can be daunting with so many settings but if you use your ears and don't think too much about particular amps that might help. One of my fav driven patches I use a lot has a gibtone amp dualed with a tweed with the 6 ins speaker. I doubt this would sound good if you actually put the amps side by side but through the pod it sounds very 'Marshally' to me.

Well i finaly,got to use the DT25HD & Cab last night at gigging volume,these are my thoughts.

To use Channel switching with Different topologies is going to be tricky,as probably every DT owner knows,there can be big volume differences,which may be able to be dialed out with more experience?.

Anyway to get to the important bit,the sound quality & gigging level suitability.

With our 3 piece Rocky/Power blues type band,no problem with mixing with the caveman :) .

Topology 1: useless for me way too clean,i started playing in the 50's when clean didn't really exist & i've not moved on much.

Topology 2: may be ok with a bit more familiarity,but immediate impression,not enough Body(a bit Marshally?)

Topology 3:I could & probably will use this setting,with gain whacked up(a lot)good driving gutsy sound & with Guitar volume backed off,cleans up really enough for me a bit like my old AC30TB (the one with the white control panel on the back).

Topology 4:This setting alone is worth the price of admission(for me),the best highish gain channel i have ever played through,i could cover our whole set -list with Top 4,

Channel A: with the gain backed off to about 10'to,I could go from 50's rock & roll(with Guitar volume just cracked open to a Great rocky bluesy rhythm(with Guitar volume at about half way,to a nice rock lead with Guitar full up really sings. 

Channel B:Will do enough gain that most everybody playing in a Pub band could ask for,even decent Metal.

So,Topology 4 is great & once i've sorted out maybe 1 more Topology,this Amp can be the best Amp i've ever used(i tend to cotton on to an Amp  i like pretty quick)& then stick with them 'till they become un-reliable or sadly too heavy,

I'm going to just check i'm not delusional about the sound over the next few gigs(i don't think i am)then i'll buy another to keep it company.

2 of these should sound amazing on stage,can't wait :rolleyes: .

Anyway that's my little revue & thoughts

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...