Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Lockout

jjelectric

Running Firmware 2.01:  Have had several instances of the Helix going into a lockout mode where no controls are accessible.  Thought it might be localized to the Helix unit I had, so changed it out for a new one.  For the most part the new unit has been functioning nominal, but I did have one instance of the screen lockout error occur in a weeks time (the other unit had about 12 instances in a week).  The only way to get out of this is a reboot.  I'm not sure yet what I might be doing to trigger this, but I can't believe I'm the only one that is seeing this problem but didn't have time to scroll all the post on this thread.   

I've had this happen too, even without the Editor running. I've unsystematically traced it to a couple of suspected causes:

1) Loose cables/connections with one or more EXT pedals.

I spent half a day during beta testing trying to chase down a 'recipe' that could reliably reproduce the frequent system crashes/freezes that I was experiencing. It seemed totally random and resisted all my efforts to reliably reproduce it (a real requirement in order to be able to debug the issue). Eventually I noticed that an FX parameter value assigned to an EXT pedal sweep was fluctuating wildly on the display although I was not touching the pedal. A visual inspection showed that the pedal plug was not fully inserted into the jack. I fixed that and the problem immediately disappeared. So there was no bug after all. I promptly poured a double scotch and took a hammer to my forehead.

2) One or more patches may be somehow corrupt.

There was a lot of change to the patch/preset format in the Helix update from v1.x to v2.x and it seems that some unknown (at least by me) sequence of operations can permit a v1.x-created preset to be imported into the v2.x firmware with some loss of data integrity. Until said patch is identified and rebuilt (preferably manually) it can cause Helix to freeze.

With one specific patch that I recall the freeze-up was predictable and repeatable. I would turn Helix off with the patch active, then restart with my Variax connected via VDI. No editor. I could use the joystick to navigate the signal chain, and the display would track properly. I then did nothing but depress the Variax Model Select knob and Helix froze. This was repeatable. Note that the only change to the patch was to activate the Variax modeling; no amp/FX/block parameters were changed. The same procedure with other initial patches did not freeze Helix, so I concluded that the specific patch was somehow corrupt. I manually re-SAVEd the patch and the problem was resolved.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to identify the troublesome patches. I am in the habit of saving and reloading setlists, not individual patches, during firmware upgrades. Hence the freezing issue can occur anytime after a setlist with one or more corrupt patches is restored after the update. I have tried to systematically diagnose this situation by reinstalling the v2.01 factory firmware and presets, then restoring some individual patches that had been saved under v1.x firmware. I then spent several minutes with each patch, one at a time, trying to observe a freeze-up. Most patches did not cause any problems but occasionally I would stumble upon one that did. Manually SAVEing the patch (hence rebuilding it) seemed to solve the problem. It was such a tedious task that I soon gave up the systematic approach so I occasionally still stumble across such a patch.

I want to emphasize that this has just been my experience. It's my interpretation of my unsystematic observations and is not in any way an official description or explanation from Line 6.

• Upvote 1

I've had this happen too, even without the Editor running. I've unsystematically traced it to a couple of suspected causes:

<Snip>2) One or more patches may be somehow corrupt.

There was a lot of change to the patch/preset format in the Helix update from v1.x to v2.x and it seems that some unknown (at least by me) sequence of operations can permit a v1.x-created preset to be imported into the v2.x firmware with some loss of data integrity. Until said patch is identified and rebuilt (preferably manually) it can cause Helix to freeze.

With one specific patch that I recall the freeze-up was predictable and repeatable. I would turn Helix off with the patch active, then restart with my Variax connected via VDI. No editor. I could use the joystick to navigate the signal chain, and the display would track properly. I then did nothing but depress the Variax Model Select knob and Helix froze. This was repeatable. Note that the only change to the patch was to activate the Variax modeling; no amp/FX/block parameters were changed. The same procedure with other initial patches did not freeze Helix, so I concluded that the specific patch was somehow corrupt. I manually re-SAVEd the patch and the problem was resolved.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to identify the troublesome patches. I am in the habit of saving and reloading setlists, not individual patches, during firmware upgrades. Hence the freezing issue can occur anytime after a setlist with one or more corrupt patches is restored after the update. I have tried to systematically diagnose this situation by reinstalling the v2.01 factory firmware and presets, then restoring some individual patches that had been saved under v1.x firmware. I then spent several minutes with each patch, one at a time, trying to observe a freeze-up. Most patches did not cause any problems but occasionally I would stumble upon one that did. Manually SAVEing the patch (hence rebuilding it) seemed to solve the problem. It was such a tedious task that I soon gave up the systematic approach so I occasionally still stumble across such a patch.<Snip>

Were the problems you mentioned in your final paragraph still with your Variax guitar connected?

PC or mac

I should have mentioned that first.  Mac. 

I mostly just use the editor for backup now. 

I'll add that it is few and far between.  Could be my El Captain version - who knows.  Never happened live or disconnected from USB. 

Edited by gsking1

Have you had any instances of problems, freezes, lockups, etc., without a Variax guitar being comnected?

I have always had my Variax JTV-59 connected via VDI since the v2.01 update so, no I haven't had any problems without it. But that's not saying anything useful under the circumstances.

Eventually I noticed that an FX parameter value assigned to an EXT pedal sweep was fluctuating wildly on the display although I was not touching the pedal.

Mine has frozen as well, but not because of the pedal Im thinking. However I could not save the preset while the numbers were jumping on the wah, and the cable connection was not loose or connected wrong. Just by moving the "Mission" pedal a bit fixed the random numbers from floating around and allowed me to "save" the preset (before I could not save it).  Im not sure if Helix is catching the pot in a place that it cant determine the proper resistance, or if the pedal itself is at a point thats not reading right until I move it some.