Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing Strings On The Jtv 69

hi maybe another stupid question but i never changed strings on a guitar with a trem. how do you change the strings on the jtv 69. i looked at it and im lost  thanks for your help cal  or should i take it to a tech.I dont know if the techs around here could change the strings on the jtv 69 or not.Im in cambridge on. canada.

Changing strings on the 69 is probably easier than most guitars out there because of the locking tuners. I recommend changing the strings one at a time in order to avoid worrying about the trem being pulled back. To remove the old string, simply loosen the thumb screw on the tuner, pull it out, and pull it out of the bridge. Snap the new string into the bridge, pull up through the locking tuner so there's tension on the string, tighten the thumb screw, and essentially that string is done. The nice thing with the locking tuners is you don't have to have extra slack at the tuner to wrap around it. The locking tuner does that work for you. Repeat this process for every string. Once you have that done, tune the guitar and cut off the extra at the tuners.

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

really newbie to jtv and variax in general, so please bare with me! I understand the idea, and process of changing the strings one at a time…. but clean rosewood fretboard and fret wires, don't you need to remove all or one example i heard was the inner 4 strings, Clean replace the inner 4 and then the 2 E strings? Is it safe to block or shim the tail end of the Trem to keep it level, and remove all the strings? and I think I just tightened the locking pin too much, as when i started to tune ( before stretching Elixirs ) my A string just Twanged and broke at the tuning head. Too much Locking ???? this is the first time i have changed the strings. only had the guitar for a while, but the strings had fret wear, so I jumped in head first….

Thoughts? Suggestions? laughs are understandable! thanks in advance!

You can replace all at once if you shim the back of the trem so it doesn't get out of wack with no string tension.  You need to tune up all of the strings together and they will interact as the trem adjusts when you tighten the new strings.  If you don't need to clean the board I would replace them one at a time.  It's quicker and easer to get back in tune that way.  I have not had problems with locking tuners but I usually lock with enough slack to put about a wrap on the post.  My JTV69S came with only a fraction of a turn on the tuners.  I have locking tuners on my old Variax 500 and I have never had a string break at the tuner.  I used the Planet Waves self trimming tuners - really like them.  They cut off the end of the string when you turn it about a quarter turn from the starting point.

Thank you so much for the quick get back!! Really appreciate it.  About the broken string, do you think it was a case of too much on the 'Thumb Screws" so to speak? did i cut thru it? Maybe? or just one of those things? it happens….! i did get a lot of dirt and grim off the fretboard and onto the cloth. Although the guitar is new, i think it must have been out for and while and some fair amount of play, testing, whatever, As is mentioned, there was fret wear in the strings. I may have really set my self up for a pain this time, but i will learn from it! I left the two E strings on and just sorta pushed them aside to clean the fret board.  I also used a cloth/leather type support under the tail of the Trem, but I did rather quickly see that it was not enough to totally level the trem. well i still have more stings to put on…. I figured i'd better check out here, before going on, since what i thought was going to work, didn't go as planned…. I will look at the other tuners you mentioned, as i would like to do some upgrades to a couple of other guitars i have.

Thanks again! 

Not sure why you broke a string.  My JTV is just about due for it's first string change.  It's still got the ones on it that it came with.  I have had it a couple months now.  With my other locking tuners I have not gone overboard tightening the Thumb Screws and I do try to put at least one wrap on the post.