Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Future of Helix

No6h

Hi. I've been playing guitar for four years now, and are ready to get serious about my tone. I just went to a L6 clinic on guitar tone, featuring the Helix, and I was impressed with the tones they got. This prompted me to go and test one in the store, and the Fender type clean tones and MESA hi gains were extremely impressive. Saying that, the amp selections in Helix seemed a little bare. Axe FX/AX8 comes with 121 different amp models, where as Helix only has 25. What I am wanting to find out is whether future firmware updates will add more models, and/or how long might it be until a significant hardware update? thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

It's hard to believe that any firmware upgrade will change the very nature of the Helix.  Firmware upgrades, so far, have been incremental improvements, rather than creating a new machine.

It usually takes more than an afternoon in a store to find some sounds that you like.  You have to twirl knobs and click on things, not that that isn't a ton of fun in itself.

If you liked the sounds that the people demonstrating were getting, you can probably get those sounds too (although I've been playing for almost 50 years and the people demonstrating the Helix on youtube always make it sound better than I can).

As far as a hardware upgrade, I'm tied for 'the last person to know' with everyone else.

Don't buy or not buy a Helix or an AX8 because of the number of amps it has. First and foremost, buy something you think sounds and feels good, and is inspiring to play.

Helix also has a really great user interface, easy to learn and quick to get around on. Best there is, hands down, no contest, nothing comes close unless you're using a computer editor.

Helix also has a bunch of switches, configurable to do lots of different things, each with its own scribble strip to label it, a big color display, a bunch of inputs and outputs of various kinds, including 4 external effect loops and the ability to be an 8-channel audio interface for your computer, and it can load external IRs for an essentially unlimited selection of cabs (though many that people like aren't free).

Personally, I get sounds I really like out of a lot of the amps and cabs in Helix, but that really comes down to personal taste.

I find this truely a strange comment.  I'm imagining it has to do with your age and being part of the digital generation - no insult intended.

Only a few years ago the absolute top bands in the world would have been awed to go into the studio and be presented with the range of amps on offer in the Helix.

Great tone is not a product of lots of amps.

Most amps are either Marshall or Fender based with a few Vox clones added to the mix.

If you sat with a good selection of equalizers and speakers, I think you could get 95% of all the other amp sounds out of that collection.  If you know the history of a lot of the amp brands you will find they regularly started as one of the above modded. That will be generally a drive stage or a tweak to the EQ at some stage in the preamp.

I've not found I could not get a great sound out of the existing amp collection for every requirement I have. Check out Glenn De Laune's videos on youtube.

Tell me where you think he's showing the restrictions particularly. It's understanding how to build tone that's important.

The Helix will not accurately reproduce every sound out there - but the people who got those sounds probably made the most suitable sound they could for the song they were recording out of the limited selection of gear available to them (with less choice than the Helix offers) - and that's what its about.

I'd be more inclined to point to the pedal collection if I was you.  Delay and reverb in the Helix is good - but there are a wide selection out there, and some could be considered "better".  

Luck enough, the Helix has great effects loops, so you can always plug on in if its really bugging you.  And you can build that into you patch for full automation if your pedal can handle that.

Live, I'd say that was probably being just too picky given the different acoustics of each venue.

Recording - well you will be using something outboard anyhow.

So I think this type of conversation comes from you not having had the chance to play through lots of amps and get sounds in the studio and live with t5raditional analogue equipment.  A huge range of amps sounds like a good selling point.  I think it's just a place to get lost for a very long time trying to make a decision!  And the best tone will be in your skill and ears anyhow.

I've noticed there are some people here who really want to do that - they get off on playing with the devices for ever - maybe the AX8 is better for that.  If that's what you want to do.  

If you want to build a really playable rig, I think the Helix wins - but they are very close.  Think about what you want to do/connect/etc, not the number of amps.............I'm sure that's a wrong turn.

Hi. I've been playing guitar for four years now, and are ready to get serious about my tone. I just went to a L6 clinic on guitar tone, featuring the Helix, and I was impressed with the tones they got. This prompted me to go and test one in the store, and the Fender type clean tones and MESA hi gains were extremely impressive. Saying that, the amp selections in Helix seemed a little bare. Axe FX/AX8 comes with 121 different amp models, where as Helix only has 25. What I am wanting to find out is whether future firmware updates will add more models, and/or how long might it be until a significant hardware update? thanks in advance.

If 25 amp models aren't enough to find the tone(s) you want, then 121 won't be enough either.

As for what's coming and when...nobody knows but the updaters themselves, and they ain't talkin'...

• Upvote 3

more amps... within a more cluttered interface... just make it more frustrating and confusing.... the right few amps=more time to play....

seriously... try not to get to overwhelmed with the technology stuff.... it will hurt/limit/slow your playing!

• Upvote 1

I find this truely a strange comment.  I'm imagining it has to do with your age and being part of the digital generation - no insult intended.

Only a few years ago the absolute top bands in the world would have been awed to go into the studio and be presented with the range of amps on offer in the Helix.

Great tone is not a product of lots of amps.

Most amps are either Marshall or Fender based with a few Vox clones added to the mix.

If you sat with a good selection of equalizers and speakers, I think you could get 95% of all the other amp sounds out of that collection.  If you know the history of a lot of the amp brands you will find they regularly started as one of the above modded. That will be generally a drive stage or a tweak to the EQ at some stage in the preamp.

I've not found I could not get a great sound out of the existing amp collection for every requirement I have. Check out Glenn De Laune's videos on youtube.

Tell me where you think he's showing the restrictions particularly. It's understanding how to build tone that's important.

The Helix will not accurately reproduce every sound out there - but the people who got those sounds probably made the most suitable sound they could for the song they were recording out of the limited selection of gear available to them (with less choice than the Helix offers) - and that's what its about.

I'd be more inclined to point to the pedal collection if I was you.  Delay and reverb in the Helix is good - but there are a wide selection out there, and some could be considered "better".  

Luck enough, the Helix has great effects loops, so you can always plug on in if its really bugging you.  And you can build that into you patch for full automation if your pedal can handle that.

Live, I'd say that was probably being just too picky given the different acoustics of each venue.

Recording - well you will be using something outboard anyhow.

So I think this type of conversation comes from you not having had the chance to play through lots of amps and get sounds in the studio and live with t5raditional analogue equipment.  A huge range of amps sounds like a good selling point.  I think it's just a place to get lost for a very long time trying to make a decision!  And the best tone will be in your skill and ears anyhow.

I've noticed there are some people here who really want to do that - they get off on playing with the devices for ever - maybe the AX8 is better for that.  If that's what you want to do.  

If you want to build a really playable rig, I think the Helix wins - but they are very close.  Think about what you want to do/connect/etc, not the number of amps.............I'm sure that's a wrong turn.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It really has pointed out the fact that AX8 may cause an option paralysis - and that learning to work with what you currently have is an important skill. I do think it will take a while to really get the best tones out of this unit, and maybe having less could mean more. I am also inspired by the Edge who is a very effects driven guitarist so looking into the pedal selection is now a higher priority. Again thank you so much.

I have posted versions of this before, but I think I have the words to convey my thoughts more accurately this time.

I think of the Helix this way.....   It has component modeling technology.  There are 25 basic setups of amps.  Honestly, I'm not sure how they stretched it to 25, because an amp with 6L6's driven by a 12AX7 isn't going to be much different than another amp with 6L6's driven by a 12AX7.  Except for some boutique and experimentation, there are not that many options of tubes and class of amplification in the scheme of things.

WIth those 25 "configurations" for starting points.. we can change parameters such as Bias, Sag, Ripple and more that dramatically change the tone and playability of an amp.   Lets not forget compression, gain, and eq.  The changes that we make with the twirl of a knob can be the difference between a Marshall, Carvin, Laney, Fender, etc..   Sure other components change, but in the real world, you have to change transformers, and caps, and filter circuits to compensate for the changes that we take for granted at the twirl of a knob.  Now add not only cabinet IR's but the ability to do tone matching with IR's and add eq, sustain and compression, gain... and well...   we all have 1000's of amps in our Helix.  

While we're on the subject of tubes...  really we were...  Which version of which amp?  What brand tubes?  In some cases tubes are swapped completely in the same model...  My Carvin can have EL84's or 6L6's.  My Roland can use a 12AX7 or a 12AT7.   With the helix, we just turn a knob or three.

My wish is to have a reference of what the actual amplifiers used.  Not just "hi-watt" or "Engl" but basic configuration, easy to look up.  I know I like amps with EL34 power tubes...  Of the amps modeled in the Helix, which ones have EL34 tubes, EL84, 6L6, 6V6, 6550 or KT88.   If you are unfamiliar and think the list goes on and on... nope... it doesn't.   There are a few more, but basically... that's the majority of guitar amp power tubes and that combined with the "Class A"  or "Class AB" circuits, and you define the overall sound of an amp.  The only thing left is the pre-amp stage.....

Oh... yeah that's right...  we can sorta mix'n match pre-amps too....

Seriously... I think there are enough amps in the Helix already... and while there are even a couple I'd like to see added at some point, I'd rather see IR Management, maybe some Reverb and Looper enhancements,  etc etc.  FIRST...

• Upvote 1

I have posted versions of this before, but I think I have the words to convey my thoughts more accurately this time.

I think of the Helix this way.....   It has component modeling technology.  There are 25 basic setups of amps.  Honestly, I'm not sure how they stretched it to 25, because an amp with 6L6's driven by a 12AX7 isn't going to be much different than another amp with 6L6's driven by a 12AX7.  Except for some boutique and experimentation, there are not that many options of tubes and class of amplification in the scheme of things.

WIth those 25 "configurations" for starting points.. we can change parameters such as Bias, Sag, Ripple and more that dramatically change the tone and playability of an amp.   Lets not forget compression, gain, and eq.  The changes that we make with the twirl of a knob can be the difference between a Marshall, Carvin, Laney, Fender, etc..   Sure other components change, but in the real world, you have to change transformers, and caps, and filter circuits to compensate for the changes that we take for granted at the twirl of a knob.  Now add not only cabinet IR's but the ability to do tone matching with IR's and add eq, sustain and compression, gain... and well...   we all have 1000's of amps in our Helix.  

While we're on the subject of tubes...  really we were...  Which version of which amp?  What brand tubes?  In some cases tubes are swapped completely in the same model...  My Carvin can have EL84's or 6L6's.  My Roland can use a 12AX7 or a 12AT7.   With the helix, we just turn a knob or three.

My wish is to have a reference of what the actual amplifiers used.  Not just "hi-watt" or "Engl" but basic configuration, easy to look up.  I know I like amps with EL34 power tubes...  Of the amps modeled in the Helix, which ones have EL34 tubes, EL84, 6L6, 6V6, 6550 or KT88.   If you are unfamiliar and think the list goes on and on... nope... it doesn't.   There are a few more, but basically... that's the majority of guitar amp power tubes and that combined with the "Class A"  or "Class AB" circuits, and you define the overall sound of an amp.  The only thing left is the pre-amp stage.....

Seriously... I think there are enough amps in the Helix already... and while there are even a couple I'd like to see added at some point, I'd rather see IR Management, maybe some Reverb and Looper enhancements,  etc etc.  FIRST...

I totally see where you are coming from, and agree with you 100%. I never thought of it like that.

Number one priority for me on the Helix is stability. I use it live like many others here and nothing is more important to me than being able to rely on it during a gig. No OS/firmware/software issues like freezing or locking up, expression pedal setting itself to 1%, etc. and no hardware issues under normal use like joystick failing, knobs breaking off, switches going bad, or expression pedal failing. Making the Helix as bullet proof as possible and repairing issues that turn out to be manufacturer defects without saddling the customer with any or at the most a minor expense  is far and away my greatest concern. Most of all no catastrophic failure that knocks it completely out of commission during a performance.

I would love to see more effects as well as improvement of existing effects (e.g. '3 OSC Synth', 'Pitch', etc.) where needed. I don't want to belabor the polyphonic thing as we already have an active forum proponent for it but that would be huge. I wouldn't mind seeing a wider range of distortion pedals and a really good 'Slow Gear' "auto-volume" type pedal.  I also like the Moog pedals as well as some of the synth-like pedals like the EHX Mel9. I'm sure other people have their favorites that I would be more than happy to experiment with.

The reverbs could definitely stand to be upgraded as Line6 has told us directly that these are the ported HD500X reverbs. Right now it is my understanding that we essentially have the generation of reverbs from an older and far less expensive and powerful piece of hardware (HD500X). I would imagine they can make some much better ones for the Helix.

I appreciate that there are only so many basic amp designs that many other amps are based on but a few more good amp models would not hurt either. There are a substantial number of amps out there have distinct characters of their own despite the fact that many of them have similar architectures. Even if you can get the sound of most amps now by playing with the various amp parameters (e.g. bias, sag, etc.) and EQ I would prefer not to spend my time doing that and instead have a wider (not necessarily huge) choice of amp models ready to go if possible. I do like the idea of being able to swap different tubes in and out (essentially having tube models to choose from).  I also recognize that option paralysis is a potential pitfall but it can also become a convenient excuse for a lack of options. There is probably a good compromise regarding the number of amp options and that number does not need to be the same as Fractal. Overall however, new amps models are low on my priority list, though some additional ones would be just fine with me.

There are also some minor features or issues that have been outstanding for a while like improving the way the scribble strip on the expression pedal displays that I would like to see addressed. I also think there are many improvements that could be made to the Editor. So much to do, so little time. I guess it all comes down to priorities. In the meantime, I have more than enough flexibility on the Helix to displace every second of practice time with twiddling if I allowed it.

• Upvote 1

Apart from my ( atypical )  request for a PolyTone.  I find it hard to think that the current range of amps cannot  - after suitably tweaking in a preset - cover most tonal situations.     So many amps are just boutique versions of the classics anyway.  

Some have said that there are definitely some high gain HM type amps that are sorely missing. But as someone not into that genre I have no idea. Is it really so ? 

Maybe someone should do a YouTube Blind Test where someone plays a 100 REAL tube amps and we all guess which one is which. 

I seriously doubt many would be able to get anywhere close to 100/100.  

And oh.....  I guess we really could do with a Dumble... 

Amen !

When I started playing guitar I had 1 good amp (fender vibrolux something), 1 overdrive pedal, and a boss SE-50 multi effects for the occasional flanger/chorus/reverb.  Many years later I've found is that I still gravitate towards a similar sound re-created with modeling so even though I have many digital amps at my disposal, I use very few.  I'll bet I'm 95% of the time on something similar to this, then remainder spent among another 5 amps that I practice with.  So think about how will you will really use it and don't base you decision on the number of amps. 

You can take every amp in Helix and change cabs, mics, IR's, eq and come up with an almost infinite array of tones.

I have a Kemper, too, and owned both Axe fx ii xl+ and ax8. I can take Helix or the Kemper and get whatever I want out of them.

I use Helix when I want a small simple rig and Kemper when I want my big Mac daddy... the other is the backup rig for the one in use.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! Wow, I had no idea!

Yeah the Bolt 60 is my exception to the EL34 preference I have.  It has 6L6's.  I generally just used the clean channel and ran my Rockman gear into them.  The clean is a very clean that can handle a lot of input and stay clean... but get warmer rather than break up.   I had to keep spare 12AX7's in my bag cause when I would hear distortion on the edge... they were going.    

In the 80's when the Marshall JCM800 combo came out, I had saved all my pennies to buy one.   While I was waiting for them to get it out of warehouse the sales guy told me to check out this Bolt 60...    By time he got back I ended up taking the Bolt 60 home.  A few years later bought a second one.  

Yeah the Bolt 60 is my exception to the EL34 preference I have.  It has 6L6's.  I generally just used the clean channel and ran my Rockman gear into them.  The clean is a very clean that can handle a lot of input and stay clean... but get warmer rather than break up.   I had to keep spare 12AX7's in my bag cause when I would hear distortion on the edge... they were going.    

In the 80's when the Marshall JCM800 combo came out, I had saved all my pennies to buy one.   While I was waiting for them to get it out of warehouse the sales guy told me to check out this Bolt 60...    By time he got back I ended up taking the Bolt 60 home.  A few years later bought a second one.  

Thanks for the info.  Just saw one at Reverb.com and it's got me gassing'.  Better not though - no room in the house for it.  lol 

I think its kind funny when the Fractal amp #'s get compared. Aren't a lot of them the same amps but with various toggles changed around stuff?

there are more than enough amp models in Helix to fit just about any tone you want, along with WAAAY more room for additional tone shaping options. plus the interface is literally a decade ahead of Fractal.

I think its kind funny when the Fractal amp #'s get compared. Aren't a lot of them the same amps but with various toggles changed around stuff?

there are more than enough amp models in Helix to fit just about any tone you want, along with WAAAY more room for additional tone shaping options. plus the interface is literally a decade ahead of Fractal.

Once upon a time, your average player had one amp...ONE!!!...and a few pedals.

Now 25 isn't enough? Have we run out of actual problems? Boggles the mind...;)

Now 25 isn't enough? Have we run out of actual problems? Boggles the mind... ;)

We still have plenty of problems (just look at this election), this just makes for a good distraction. It's all relative, Monaco is complaining about the quality of the caviar this year while people in destitute countries discuss where their next meal is coming from. It is definitely a First World privilege to even be having this conversation but as long as we are I say bring on the new.

• Upvote 2

Now 25 isn't enough? Have we run out of actual problems? Boggles the mind... ;)

Pretty amazing when you can fit 25 amps and all those giant 4x12 and other cabinets and pedals galore in a backpack now.  I wonder how much all that would weigh if someone were to tally up all the totals on everything Helix has in it - weight and dimensions?  I'm guessing it would take several tractor trailers to haul all that gear that you can now carry in a book bag with one strap over your shoulder. :)

Pretty amazing when you can fit 25 amps and all those giant 4x12 and other cabinets and pedals galore in a backpack now.  I wonder how much all that would weigh if someone were to tally up all the totals on everything Helix has in it - weight and dimensions?  I'm guessing it would take several tractor trailers to haul all that gear that you can now carry in a book bag with one strap over your shoulder. :)

Kind of like the early days of computers when it took a warehouse of giant tube driven mainframe monstrosities with truckloads of punch cards to do even simple computing that any smart watch can now execute with ease. Technology marches on!  :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It really has pointed out the fact that AX8 may cause an option paralysis - and that learning to work with what you currently have is an important skill. I do think it will take a while to really get the best tones out of this unit, and maybe having less could mean more. I am also inspired by the Edge who is a very effects driven guitarist so looking into the pedal selection is now a higher priority. Again thank you so much.

If you look at early Edge work, he used very few effects, pretty much a couple of Memory Man delays, an MXR Compressor and his amps (plus a couple others).  I highly recommend you start simple and work your way up.... If you're looking for edgey type sounds, pick a delay, get to know it really well, a compressor and go from there.

I agree with what seems to be the general consensus here; 25 amp models are more than enough, especially taking into consideration all of the options we have to manipulate those models. I started using digital modeling way back when Line 6 came up with the AxSys 212 combo amp. My basic tweaking method is to make 4 patches, each with a different amp model to make whatever sound I'm going for; then tweak each to satisfaction, compare and choose. I discovered that I can get four different amp models to sound pretty darn close to each other with enough EQing. Don't drive yourself crazy with option overload! If you have a sound in your head, you're very likely to find it in Helix sooner or later if you're willing to turn enough knobs. Also, don't restrict yourself to expectations of what the "real world" amp that's being modeled is supposed to sound like. I came up with a lead tone that sounds pretty similar to my old Mesa/Boogie Mark IIc by using a Marshall JCM 800 model with the Minotaur (Klon model) distortion box in front of it. I found that appealing Mark IIc midrange voicing with it's filter parameter.

... the interface is literally a decade ahead of Fractal.

Ain't it the truth! Fractal has some great features but the interface on the Helix along with its I/O options is what made the choice so easy for me. The single area I believe that Fractal did a better job on the interface was providing enough parameter knobs so that all of the critical parameters on an amp can be tweaked without paging or for that matter even pulling up the amp block. However I feel this is vastly outweighed by the superior design of the Helix in almost every other area.

I'm certain more amps and effects will make to Helix, probably with the next update as well. It's just the name of the game, the competition offers it, so they will too. But I don't think Helix will ever get as many as Fractal and that's fine by me. I'm never going to be without something to check out i Helix anyway. But when you think about how much better Helix is now compared to when it came out, it'll be very exciting to see what It'll look like in a year!

It's been said quite a few times here, but I'll say it again.

It may have tons of amp models, but at the end of the day, I use a Dual Rec, a 5150, a JCM 800, and an AC30, 98â„… of the time. dometimes a fender, but they are all amps I already had before I got the helix.

So even though it has so many options, you probably will find yourself gravitating to the same few amps every time.

Thinking out loud and in no specific order or patch in mind- Like the JTV-69 Variax Strat setting that needs to be redone IMO (just too mild in comparison with my 93 Strat), Im thinking instead of adding gobs more amps, maybe refining what we have now to an even higher level (if possible) tone wise, would be more to my liking. No Im not saying I don't like most of them, but theres alway room for improvement. Case in point, Kemper just released a firmware upgrade that added some killer delays... They already had delays but improved and added to them.

Just on the same topic, didn't the Vetta II have 74 amp models, 25 Cabs, and over 80 effects stomp boxes?  Why would they have cut all of that out?  Is there a reason for that?  I've had the Vetta II for probably around 10 years now and I'm looking for something smaller with which I can get most or all of the great sounds I get out of the Vetta II.  I am an effect junkie sometimes, and I love having the different selections.  I understand and agree that 25 is a lot, BUT, if they already had 74, why cut down to 25?  It just doesn't make sense to me.

Yup. How many people do you know that own 25 tube amps?... and bring all of them to the gig?

I disagree. Let's say the average guy can get by with only 6 amps. Great. Which ones? When I got my HD500 it made me realize I needed an axefx. I could not deal with the DSP limit on HD500 and lack of SLO and matchless. Helix has a better set of amps out of the box, for me, plus DSP limit is way higher.