Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New version of HD Edit?

jegarcia

Lines 6 folks.

Any probability that we'll see an updated version of this software?. While it is better than tweaking the POD HD500X by hand as software it  really leaves a lot to be desired and it is really clunky

- The look and feel is from the 80s

- You can't delete patches..you have to do tedious cut a paste actions

- Why did you make it so small?. The text is really hard to read if  you use a studio type of workstation where the monitor is further back. Every time I use it I have to lean forward to read anyting.

- You have black text on top of a very dark blue background...this is really hard to read!

- Why isn't it a full screen app?

Please guys.... an udpate asap! - That said I do love th my pod + DT25 setup...it is preety sweet

JG

• Upvote 1

It'd be nice if they could Open source the editor so the public could modify it.  Wouldn't cost Line6 any money or time.  Not sure if that would give away any secrets about the product but my guess is it wouldn't.  Just changing parameters, not algorithms.

• Upvote 1

It'd be nice if they could Open source the editor so the public could modify it.  Wouldn't cost Line6 any money or time.  Not sure if that would give away any secrets about the product but my guess is it wouldn't.  Just changing parameters, not algorithms.

Even if it did give out secrets, at this point in it's life cycle, they aren't going to lose anything (except model pack sales). They said that they can't make the product in this price range. They have moved on to new programming. 

It would be like Texas Instrument letting us in on the source code for the TI-99/4A. There is simply nothing left to gain. 

- The look and feel is from the 80s

You and I experienced the 80's very differently, then...or perhaps I've just gone blind from looking directly at too many neon green guitars. ;)

That aside, don't hold your breath for any updates. The HD series is at least 5 or 6 years old at this point (or more? I forget)...with the speed at which today's tech changes, that's what's known as "ancient". If your want a new interface, you're gonna have to pony-up for a Helix.

@ Guru

Not so sure about that. According to L6 the Helix is a different product category and I don't  believe it is intended to replace the POD Series given the very large price difference between the two. I see the POD as a product for mid level guitarists ahd home musicians. To me the Helix is more for really serious amateurs and pros. Now it could be that maybe L6 is no longer interested in the lower tier of the market which could explain why they haven't replaced the POD or update the vey lmited HD Edit application in a long time.

Either way the HD Edit software reaaaally needs an update. Its look and feel are very outdated.

Either way the HD Edit software reaaaally needs an update. Its look and feel are very outdated.

And I need my hair back, and the blood pressure I was born with. Oh well...we're both bound to be disappointed.

Every few years, tech dies. It is what it is. They're not likely to keep updating products a generation behind their current "flagship" device. You're far more likely to see a less expensive "Helix Light" being pitched to the POD demographic. Why? Because that will sell gear. Updating the editor for units that were sold years ago isn't going to make them any money. You might want to keep your POD for the next decade, but L6 doesn't share that vision. They want you to buy something else. You can argue all day long that things "shouldn't" be this way. But they are....

mid level guitarists ahd home musicians. To me the Helix is more for really serious amateurs and pros. 

Mother lollipopper, you aren't going to win over any lollipopping friends by insulting us. 

You just called a Grammy winner a novice player that lives in his mother's basement. 

And at the same time you said his choice of gear was inferior.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But as to the rest of your statement... 

The things that could be made for $500 in 2010 cannot be made for $500 today. The HD500. if made today, would cost almost as much as the Helix --- obviously, things like color touch screens and 100 various jacks cost more than what is available in Pod, but the manufacturing prices have changed for the things that are similar.

And, on a side note, let's hope that Hillary Clinton does not win the election today. If she does, the cost of all products are going to go up. You think $1500 for a Helix is bad - imagine $1500 for a Chinese made Epiphone.  

Why win these things if you can't throw 'em in someone's face every so often.

I hear ya...that's why I saved all that $hit my Mom used to hang on the fridge from when I was a kid. That way whenever I gotta straighten somebody out, it's like "BA-BAM! How you like them apples?!?!"...;)

I know they've pretty much bailed on the HD500 BUT I do wish they would at least have HD Edit convert all of those ^^^(%^&%$$%&%^&*(^&*(^%^&$& percentages to dB and Hz and whatever else. I have an extremely rudimentary background in programming but from what I know, I don't think it would be that hard to edit the code in HD Edit to do that. I know the actual unit won't get that but putting it in HD Edit would be a fantastic compromise for all of us Line 6 supporters.

VOTE FOR LINE 6. Remember the Fractal E-mail and fraudulent charity scandals!!!! Although I guess it won't matter since the whole thing is fixed anyway. (This is meant to be merely a non partisan joke. Don't get upset).

@ Guru

I see the POD as a product for mid level guitarists ahd home musicians. To me the Helix is more for really serious amateurs and pros.

A LOT of people see it differently than you. I see the HD500 as an opportunity to get almost the same quality of sounds with a bit more effort at a relatively very good price. If anything the HD500 needs someone with MORE knowledge of a good sound (i.e. serious amateurs and pros) to get a good sound out of it. It sounds less refined, more raw, to me.

Guys my comment was simply to highlight that there is a significant price difference between the POD and the Helix and because of that it is more difficult for a non pro to justify the latter. I'm sure there are pros that use the POD and amateurs that have the Helix but I don't believe this what L6 intends. L6 has said themselves that the Helix is a different product in a different category.

My comment to L6 still stands....L6 improve the clunky HD Edit or make a product in a similar price range that has a decent editor.

Oh.....and integration with the DT25 would be great  :)

it is more difficult for a non pro to justify the latter. 

As a professional, I wouldn't have bought the Pod if it was amateur quality. I eat because of gear. I can't risk taking a chance on inferior gear. It either suits my needs or I don't buy it. 

As a professional, I can't justify buying gear when I already have fully functional gear. 

As a professional, I don't have time to chase technology. I bought what I needed when I needed it. I will keep my Pod until the day it quits functioning. 

Your thoughts are misguided. You have a lot of learning to do about life. Everyone knows that people spend more money on hobbies than they do professional tools. 

I own a chain of music stores. Oddly enough, I don't cater to professional musicians. I consider myself a hobby shop more than a music store. I have little old ladies who have never played music before in their life, spending $100,000 on an organ because it is a hobby. They start with the $2,000 model and work their way up to the expensive ones. It is a hobby. They will spend money. 

Ever go to one of those vintage car shows? Their main car may be a $20,000 economy car. But they have a 1956 Thunderbird that they spent $50,000 to fully restore over a 5 year period. And then they only drive it 100 miles a year. 

Gun collectors? A sniper owns one gun. But the hobbyist will have an arsenal. 

People spend money on hobbies. 

It's not as good as it could be, but it's what we have, and I doubt it'll be updated. Which is a shame IMO.

Bizarrely, I think that the old PODxt/x3 "Line6 Edit" is a better Editor than HD Editor. You could easily copy individual patches from other sources (backups etc) instead of having to go through a long-winded and a convoluted process, or restoring all the patches.

Anyone know of an easy way to do this in HD Editor?

........ You could easily copy individual patches from other sources (backups etc) instead of having to go through a long-winded and a convoluted process, or restoring all the patches.

Anyone know of an easy way to do this in HD Editor?

Not sure I understand exactly what long-winded process you want to avoid, but you can drag/drop individual patches from a file folder on your computer to any slot in the HD Edit program window.

The "long winded" process is when you have a backup of a Bundle, but only want to restore 1 or 2 patches. It is certainly easy enough to restore a full backup or an individually saved patch.

In Line6 Edit you could open the Bundle and select individual patches, and copy them over, as the "Live" window was on the right, and the left window was the Archive.

With HD Edit, you have to open the Bundle, then open the patch so it shows up on the unit, then go into the unit and store it to one of the "free" memory slots, close HD Edit and power off the unit.

Mate, I ask this question about just about every plugin I use! 

It is ridiculous not to be able to resize them.

But just wait till these code makers get to our age! Then we'll see the resize option for sure! LOL 

LOL totally agree, this is one of the reasons I picked my BOSS ME-80 over the HD500X. At least I can resize the ME-80's Tone Studio to full screen! 

And I need my hair back, and the blood pressure I was born with. Oh well...we're both bound to be disappointed.

Every few years, tech dies. It is what it is. They're not likely to keep updating products a generation behind their current "flagship" device. You're far more likely to see a less expensive "Helix Light" being pitched to the POD demographic. Why? Because that will sell gear. Updating the editor for units that were sold years ago isn't going to make them any money. You might want to keep your POD for the next decade, but L6 doesn't share that vision. They want you to buy something else. You can argue all day long that things "shouldn't" be this way. But they are....

Well then that's just too bad for Line6 cause I'm not interested in any of that Helix stuff. If they think they gonna get some sales from introducing a 'Helix light' or something even close, I'm going Boss or Fractal Audio. 

LOL totally agree, this is one of the reasons I picked my BOSS ME-80 over the HD500X. At least I can resize the ME-80's Tone Studio to full screen! 

Dumbass, you choose inferior sound from an inferior device so that you can resize on a computer?

Brilliant. I guess we should all start buying our gear at Wal-Mart. Who needs quality anymore.

• Upvote 1

Dumbass, you choose inferior sound from an inferior device so that you can resize on a computer?

Brilliant. I guess we should all start buying our gear at Wal-Mart. Who needs quality anymore.

LOL if that is the case, how are you going to prove that the HD500X is superior? This is music you dumbass, if it means I can clap with my butt cheeks and make noises that is pleasant to my ears then so be it. 

If being able to resize is vitally important to you, then you probably have a computer that is dedicated to music instead of using it with you home computer. 

That means that you can adjust the screen resolution instead of the program interface. 

Yes, at this point in time of my learning curve, a resizeable screen is important to me and NO I'm not going to get a computer that is dedicated to music. If Line6 is not going to fix this, I'm going BOSS or just be like a 'fractal snob' which thinks that Line6 are just 'inferior'. LOL 

Well then that's just too bad for Line6 cause I'm not interested in any of that Helix stuff. If they think they gonna get some sales from introducing a 'Helix light' or something even close, I'm going Boss or Fractal Audio.

I'm sure L6's marketing director is quaking in his boots. Just because you wouldn't buy one, doesn't mean no one would.

Besides, it's just a guess anyway...nobody knows what they're gonna do, or not do. But generally speaking, older products/projects get shelved, and updates become less and less frequent, until ultimately they're nonexistent. It's just the way it is. Nothing lasts forever, and no company on earth will maintain endless support of everything they've ever made, until the end of time.

If you want to spend 3-4x as much on Fractal so you can have a bigger editor window to stare at, fine...it's your money.

A $500 product better be inferior to the $3000 products. 

The inferiority, however, isn't in sound quality. It is in the fact that if you want to virtually crack open your virtual amp and replace one brand of virtual tube with another brand of virtual tube --- you can't do that for $500. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sure L6's marketing director is quaking in his boots. Just because you wouldn't buy one, doesn't mean no one would.

Besides, it's just a guess anyway...nobody knows what they're gonna do, or not do. But generally speaking, older products/projects get shelved, and updates become less and less frequent, until ultimately they're nonexistent. It's just the way it is. Nothing lasts forever, and no company on earth will maintain endless support of everything they've ever made, until the end of time.

If you want to spend 3-4x as much on Fractal so you can have a bigger editor window to stare at, fine...it's your money.

LOL yes I agree with you but I just can't be bothered with whether Line6 is gonna fix that resizeable screen or not. I would rather JUMP. 

To be honest, not all faults are bad. I do find the problem of HD500X's uneven volume between clean and dirty amps and how you would need to balance it up with boost and mixer blocks rather appealing. 

• Downvote 1

LOL yes I agree with you but I just can't be bothered with whether Line6 is gonna fix that resizeable screen or not. I would rather JUMP. 

To be honest, not all faults are bad. I do find the problem of HD500X's uneven volume between clean and dirty amps and how you would need to balance it up with boost and mixer blocks rather appealing. 

I don't know if you noticed but the font this post was made in is a smaller font than what's normally here. Just a little ironic given the comments on the size of Edit. I thought it was funny, not a character flaw.