Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

LateratoR

Greetings!

If you are reading this then you are probably a proud owner of the Helix. With that said, I'm looking for an answer. 

Has anyone had their presets and settings wiped out in any given situation? I'm talking when a breaker pops, after transportation or even just booting Helix up normally. Has anyone had that issue, or should I really get into the habit of backing my presets up?

I use Helix Rack to tour with. It's been absolutely fantastic to use but with touring, you know that stuff seems to go wrong at the most inconvenient time. I'm just trying to gather a failure report. 

Questions does not pertain to corrupt files that occur from updating Helix - I already knew that was a thing.

Thanks folks, and keep on Helix-ing! 

Jaime Trevino of RockStar

post-2441377-0-66638500-1478521590_thumb.jpg

Anything could happen. If you spent a lot of time on your presets, don't have a backup and something goes wrong, that's not an ideal or even good situation. So if I were you, I'd get yourself in the habit of backing up your presets. Doing this by setlist is fine. You could also backup the presets individually. I do both of these. Maybe backing up by bundle (everything - all setlists) would work for you, but I think most people ignore bundles. Also, make a note of the firmware version used for the backup, for example in the folder name you're putting the backup file(s) in.

I was a beta tester, so even in trying to mess Helix up, I've never had it so the presets were wiped on their own. I think the likelihood of that happening is near zero. It is, however, a good idea to back up your presets just in case. To me, the larger risk is that something becomes corrupted and you are forced to do a reset, and because of that your presets are lost. I've never had this happen either. It does seem like nearly all of these situations arise because of issues with updates -  people not following instructions, a corrupt install, or whatever. Overall, still pretty rare.

I use Helix Rack to tour with. It's been absolutely fantastic to use but with touring, you know that stuff seems to go wrong at the most inconvenient time....

Exactly. And that's why you should always have the most recent version of all your presets backed up, even if Helix had an ironclad guarantee to never fail (which, of course, it doesn't).

Like duncann and phil_m I have never had any presets suddenly wiped out. But I have had system crashes (during beta testing) where the recovery procedure required a factory reset that wiped out all but the factory presets. That could conceivably happen at any time although I haven't experienced it with a public firmware release.

Anytime you edit presets and don't backup the changes, you are leaving yourself exposed to data loss - and if/when it happens it will be your fault, not Line 6's.

No battery that I'm aware of. They use EPROM memory of some sort to save the preset and other data as far as I know. The internal battery question came up when someone asked if a clock/time display could be added to the Helix. For that to happen, it would need an internal battery to keep the circuit going with power off, like the coin-sized ones inside a PC. None of the PODs had this, nor does the Helix, from the info from that request.

Dave

No battery that I'm aware of. They use EPROM memory of some sort to save the preset and other data as far as I know. The internal battery question came up when someone asked if a clock/time display could be added to the Helix. For that to happen, it would need an internal battery to keep the circuit going with power off, like the coin-sized ones inside a PC. None of the PODs had this, nor does the Helix, from the info from that request.

Dave

The early PODs did have an internal battery - the 1.0 and 2.0 - but none of the other PODs have one.