Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix AND S-Gear

johnonguitar

... or any software modeller for that matter...

Been meaning to hook Helix up to S-Gear using Helix as an audio interface for a while now. Had some spare time this afternoon and just wanted to tell you guys it works great.

I had Path 1 pre-S-Gear and Path 2 post S-Gear using Ownhammer IR's in Helix.

I had total latency of about 5-6ms

I'll be honest, it didn't work at first. I have no idea why it started working all of a sudden or what changed but it randomly did start operating and has been solid since.

Minotaur into The Duke is awesome.

The Stealer into stereo Tri-Chorus and stereo VDD with some chamber reverb is the business too

Why would you do this? Well as much as I LOVE the Stealer and genuinely wish someone would base a real amp on this sim (modelling will eat itself) I don't love it enough to want to bring a laptop to a gig to use it as opposed to the Plexi BRT or Mod 2204

However, what it does do is allow you to take S-Gear with you to someone else's studio and have a practical way of interfacing, through Helix XLR outs, to whatever equipment they are using.

It also adds a tonne of effects to S-Gear. A switchable Z guitar input. And if I learn how to do it, USB midi switching? (I hope)

None of this would be possible with an FX8 or Ax8 or Kemper or whatever the other ones called.

So don't be afraid to hook your favourite standalone plugin up to Helix via USB and treat it like an insert loop.

Next stop is Absynth for ambient reverbs. Eat dirt strymon :D

• Upvote 1

Great idea! I've used S-Gear for years to record guitar tracks. I rarely mic an amp anymore. After I got the Helix I started using it for recording but it didn't occur to me to use it as a "stomp box pedalboard" in front of S-Gear. Thanks for that!

I use TH3. Tried all of them plenty of times including sgear. one thing ive never taken the time to do but always wanted to try was using TH3 or sgear or whatever as a preamp. sgear > interface out > hardware power amp > hardware cab

Great idea! I've used S-Gear for years to record guitar tracks. I rarely mic an amp anymore. After I got the Helix I started using it for recording but it didn't occur to me to use it as a "stomp box pedalboard" in front of S-Gear. Thanks for that!

You even have enough I/o in Helix through USB to go-

Guitar -> Helix Path A

Path A -> S-Gear

S-Gear -> Helix Path B

Helix Path B -> DAW

so you can have pre and post efx and still get back to your daw for recording

• Upvote 1

I use TH3. Tried all of them plenty of times including sgear. one thing ive never taken the time to do but always wanted to try was using TH3 or sgear or whatever as a preamp. sgear > interface out > hardware power amp > hardware cab

I done a small pub gig going direct with S-Gear during the summer. Was a bit impractical to be honest. However I could see the laptop making a comeback (purely for self indulgence) now I have Helix as an interface and controller

Edit: must have been in April

• Upvote 1

I have every single patch set up this way on a laptop, using Mainstage as an audio and midi hub. You can also set the Helix's footswitches to play notes, or sequences, and to control plugin parameters. In fact this was one of its main selling points, for me..

This feels like that moment in The Matrix when Neo takes the red pill

I know what I'm doing with the rest of my night!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have every single patch set up this way on a laptop, using Mainstage as an audio and midi hub. You can also set the Helix's footswitches to play notes, or sequences, and to control plugin parameters. In fact this was one of its main selling points, for me..

This is exactly what I want to do! Would you be up for helpin a guy out trying to pull this off? It would be worth it to me to pay someone to consult me on this while I try to get it all up and running.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/7/2016 at 2:50 PM, johnonguitar said:

... or any software modeller for that matter...

Been meaning to hook Helix up to S-Gear using Helix as an audio interface for a while now. Had some spare time this afternoon and just wanted to tell you guys it works great.

I had Path 1 pre-S-Gear and Path 2 post S-Gear using Ownhammer IR's in Helix.

I had total latency of about 5-6ms

I'll be honest, it didn't work at first. I have no idea why it started working all of a sudden or what changed but it randomly did start operating and has been solid since.

Minotaur into The Duke is awesome.

The Stealer into stereo Tri-Chorus and stereo VDD with some chamber reverb is the business too

Why would you do this? Well as much as I LOVE the Stealer and genuinely wish someone would base a real amp on this sim (modelling will eat itself) I don't love it enough to want to bring a laptop to a gig to use it as opposed to the Plexi BRT or Mod 2204

However, what it does do is allow you to take S-Gear with you to someone else's studio and have a practical way of interfacing, through Helix XLR outs, to whatever equipment they are using.

It also adds a tonne of effects to S-Gear. A switchable Z guitar input. And if I learn how to do it, USB midi switching? (I hope)

None of this would be possible with an FX8 or Ax8 or Kemper or whatever the other ones called.

So don't be afraid to hook your favourite standalone plugin up to Helix via USB and treat it like an insert loop.

Next stop is Absynth for ambient reverbs. Eat dirt strymon :D

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm new to Helix, but I have loved S-Gear for years. I have no idea how to route what you are doing with S-Gear into Helix. Hope you or some other knowledgeable soul can help. Thanks.

I do use Helix with S-Gear, but only for front of the amp effects. I prefer S-Gear’s Mod, Delay and Reverb Things for back of the amp effects. And this keeps the signal chain simpler. I had been using S-Gear as my gig backup rig. But 1) Helix floor has been solid and reliable for the last 3 years, so I’ve never used the backup, and 2) I have an HX Stomp now.

For recording, I use Helix Native with S-Gear, so I don’t need any complex routing, its easy to control with MIDI, re-amping is easy, and everything can be automated, 

• Like 1