Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External overdrive pedal in a S/R block

FarleyUK

Hi all,

Got my repaired Helix back after about a week (huzzah!), and have connected my new Rocket Fuel OD pedal to FX Loop 4. However, I'm getting a lot of what sounds like noise and clipping coming from my amp in 4CM when doing this; it's fine if I disengage the S/R block the OD pedal is in, and also if I use the OD pedal direct into the amp without the Helix.

It's been suggested that the OD pedal might be too 'hot' for the return of the loop on the Helix - is that right? I find it pretty weird if so - all loops are set to instrument level, as that's what the pedal is outputting. I don't see why it would be overloading the return level....?

Try to lower the output volume of the pedal, and the send volume of the s/r block, just to check.. some pedals are conceived to really drive the analog amp input, and you don't want this to happen in an AD conversion.

Otherwise this could be a bad cable as well, but you may have sorted this out already..

Hi all,

Got my repaired Helix back after about a week (huzzah!), and have connected my new Rocket Fuel OD pedal to FX Loop 4. However, I'm getting a lot of what sounds like noise and clipping coming from my amp in 4CM when doing this; it's fine if I disengage the S/R block the OD pedal is in, and also if I use the OD pedal direct into the amp without the Helix.

It's been suggested that the OD pedal might be too 'hot' for the return of the loop on the Helix - is that right? I find it pretty weird if so - all loops are set to instrument level, as that's what the pedal is outputting. I don't see why it would be overloading the return level....?

What blocks do you have after the FX loop block on the Helix? It's possible you're clipping those depending on what they are. I doubt that the pedal is clipping the return.

What blocks do you have after the FX loop block on the Helix? It's possible you're clipping those depending on what they are. I doubt that the pedal is clipping the return.

The patch contains only 2 blocks, both S/R ones; the first is the FX loop with the OD pedal in it, and the second is the S/R for the amp in 4CM.

Well, I guess just try setting the loop the OD is in to instrument. There's nothing wrong with doing that, really.

Yep, it already is :)

So am I right in saying that the pedal shouldn't be 'clipping' the return of the loop? Or is it likely doing something to the D/A conversion?

Yep, it already is :)

So am I right in saying that the pedal shouldn't be 'clipping' the return of the loop? Or is it likely doing something to the D/A conversion?

No, I can't imagine it has anything to do with D/A conversion. Are you sure you're not clipping your amp's input? What level do you have the second loop set to?

No, I can't imagine it has anything to do with D/A conversion. Are you sure you're not clipping your amp's input? What level do you have the second loop set to?

The second loop levels are all untouched - just so I'm sure, what's the best way to check for clipping on the amp input...? Keep it in 4CM, put the amp on a clean channel and play to see if there's any distortion etc.?