Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphones for HD500x - What Impedance recommended?

hag01

I want to use the HD500X for studio works, with a professional flat and natural studio headphones, for mixing and mastering.

Therefor, sound accuracy and quality is very important to me.

I need to know what impedance the HD500X headphoned input built for, optimal.

Another think I must know is: if the HD500X built for high impedance headphones, 300 Ohms for example, does it mean that if I'm connecting to it a 300 Ohms headphones, I don't need a headphones amplifier?

Been using AKG 240S cans for years. Among the best bang for the buck out there. There's not much else you can buy for $70-$80 that will perform as well.

However...I just treated myself to a pair of their K701's, and wow what a difference. Neighborhood of $200 on Amazon. Amazing clarity, and given their completely open back design, the low end while still quite present, isn't overpowering. They give the POD (being as bass-heavy as it is) a little breathing room down low. I don't need to be as heavy handed with the low-cut filters and mid-focus EQ...I can leave things a little closer to what would typically "make sense" for a guitar player.

^ Love it. Cruisin' great review: I was looking for a pair that breathed efficiently while yet preserving effervescence. :)

Just don't spend to much on 'em...for some reason, the big retailers are still demanding $400 or more for them. You can get them for just a little more than half that price.

150 - 600 ohms plugged right into the jack.

What are the consequences if you use a less than 150 Ohm headphones with the Pod HD500X?
I know it's possible and even can sound good, but remember I'm using the Pod HD500X as a sound interface for mixing and producing audio tracks, so naturally I have high demands in that regard.

TBH your mileage may vary and it depends on your ears. I've used some pretty cheap headphones and they sounded acceptable to me and yes, the more expensive ones did sound better ($100 better eh) but then I am not looking for perfection as I run the HD through an amp and the tones I make sound great through it but not so much through the headphones. That said people have used headphones with varying impedance 55 ohms and up and have posted that they like what they hear. If you run a search like "pod HD headphones" I am sure a bunch of topics will pop up to keep you reading for days. :)

What are the consequences if you use a less than 150 Ohm headphones with the Pod HD500X?

I know it's possible and even can sound good, but remember I'm using the Pod HD500X as a sound interface for mixing and producing audio tracks, so naturally I have high demands in that regard.

Consequences? It will curve your spine, and The Allies will lose the war...;)

Lower impedance cans (in theory, anyway) should start to clip sooner, if the output is expecting more resistance. So if you're in the habit of cranking them to ear-splitting levels, then maybe you should look into a higher impedance set. But as I've said, I've been using a pair of 55 ohm cans (in exactly the way you describe) for years without a problem. If anything was gonna break, it would have happened long ago.

• Upvote 1