Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Early Ty Tabor sound?

twystedriffs

Hey all, so Kings X is my favorite all time band, and my 3 piece band plays anything, so want to add Its Love to the set. I am getting close with the main sound, but can someone help me with that crazy low mid punch in the leads? Or main tone, just hoping someone on here has gotten close on the helix! Maybe an eq block or low flange setting? Everything has that small amount of constant buzz, such a cool tone but its eluding me! Thanks in advance

Wish I could help ya...I've been trying (and mostly failing, lol) to emulate his tone from the first couple of albums for years...tougher than a lot of other players for some reason. Perhaps something to do with those old Lab Series amps that he used back in those days. Much easier to get the Ear Candy/Dogman and later sounds...

Seeing them in NYC in a couple of weeks!

• Upvote 1

There's a lot of Joe Walsh sound in that song.  You might want to start with a similar rig setup as Joe.  He had a preference for Fender amps and Fender amp clones...particularly Dr Z and Frontman amps along with a tube screamer with a predelection toward lower mids in the 1200 hz range.  Pretty much a humbucker based guitar.

I agree I have been using Line 6 products for 20 years now I guess. I can buy land most artists very quickly or at least something similar. We already Play Groove Machine and I have a great patch for that. But the early stuff is a sound that has forever eluded me. I guess it is the lab series stuff but nothing else gets close to the sound. I'm actually getting pretty pleased with the Rhythm sound. But I can't get the lead to send anywhere close! Have fun in New York, I'll see them as often as I can probably eight or nine times so far over the years and met them a number of times. I just love that I play in a band that plays King's X!

I never consciously try to emulate other people's tones, but I do like some lower voiced midrange in my lead sound and my favorite way to get that with the Helix so far is with the Minotaur's tone control. It acts like the filter on a ProCo Rat, but I like it better than the Rat model (Vermin). Try it in front of a medium or high gain amp and set the Minotaur's tone somewhere around 5. It's up to you whether you want to get more drive out of the amp or the Minotaur, but you'll want to set the drive somewhat low on one of them or it will get pretty noisy.

I'm generally more of a jazz/rock fusion guy, but my roots are in rock and I do like King's X a lot; I have about a half dozen of their albums and have seen them live; great band!

I don't know if this will help but... hey, I tried!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been chasing Ty's early tone for years with various pieces of gear. Then I bought a Strat Elite and had a Lab Series preamp pedal built. I put the pedal into one of the fx loops of the Helix and there it is. So much of the tone is the strat elite and it's unique preamp and tbx and mdx tone controls. The guitar is very sensitive and different from a regular strat. With the strat elite I could get pretty close with the Marshall 2204 model since it cleans up nicely as you roll down the volume.