Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Paying for patches and the "sense of community"

Inerzia

1- Exactly, and I want to have (what you call) a philosophical debate about Helix patches (if it only was just that) May I? Please? :)

2- That's actually funny. I ride my bike everyday, sometimes through a forest. Are you sure you're not spying on me or something?

1. That is why a bike ride was only a suggestion :)

2. You're welcome

I think that "tipping culture" is very American. I cringe when I see people either encouraging others to take "donations" and even more so when they are being sought.

Where I'm from "tipping" is something you would do to a cow in a field, possibly whilst intoxicated.

There used to be a great cartoon by Gary Larson of the cows going out and tipping people at night. I understand your distaste for the whole donation and tipping thing but if you are European the reason tipping isn't necessary is that Europe actually pays its working class employees a living wage, e.g. minimum wage for a McDonald's worker in Denmark is $20. Your minimum wage is much higher and, due to higher taxes, your social services are much better including socialized health care. Try telling a waitress with no company provided health insurance and a family to feed making $5 an hour she should expect to be happy with her salary and not expect tips. The European and American systems are quite different.

I have seen 'freeware' provided for years with all kinds of applications using the 'Donation' model and it actually works fairly well at times. A piece of particularly good software inspires people to voluntarily fund the programmer who spent their time developing it. The cream tends to rise to the top and donations go towards those who provide a genuinely excellent product rather than people having to convince themselves that the no-return policy commercial software they just shelled out bucks for is worthy. Eventually the donation model can fund an even better product or move on to be a commercial product by popular acclaim. I assume this has been the trajectory for some of the people selling presets here. I would actually prefer to see the donation model than the 'pay up front'' model for presets although I doubt it would be as lucrative for the truly talented preset designers. For the foreseeable future though I will just continue to design my own presets but I understand for some people their time is worth more than the relatively low cost of commercial presets.

• Upvote 1

There used to be a great I cartoon by Gary Larson of the cows going out and tipping people at night. I understand your distaste for the whole donation and tipping thing but if you are European the reason tipping isn't necessary is that Europe actually pays its working class employees a living wage, e.g. minimum wage for a McDonald's worker in Denmark is $20. Your minimum wage is much higher and, due to higher taxes, your social services are much better including socialized health care. Try telling a waitress with no company provided health insurance and a family to feed making $5 an hour she should expect to be happy with her salary and not expect tips. The European and American systems are quite different.

I have seen 'freeware' provided for years with all kinds of applications using the 'Donation' model and it actually works fairly well at times. A piece of particularly good software inspires people to voluntarily fund the programmer who spent their time developing it. The cream tends to rise to the top and donations go towards those who provide a genuinely excellent product rather than people having to convince themselves that the no-return policy commercial software they just shelled out bucks for is worthy. Eventually the donation model can fund an even better product or move on to be a commercial product by popular acclaim. I assume this has been the trajectory for some of the people selling software here. For the foreseeable future though I will just continue to design my own presets.

Sorry i think I came across wrongly there, im totally ok with tipping staff etc and understand why tipping is important, necessary and fair over that side of the pond. Totally onboard.

I'm also a big fan of the "donation" model when it comes to unsigned bands or artists or freeware. Even something like Reaper probably comes under this banner too.

I mean more, for example, people on Facebook groups accepting "donations" for explaining to a new Helix user how to turn on their Helix and just so happening to have way to accept such donations already setup.

I mean what sort of guys are we? The sort that returns a wallet full of cash and accepts a reward or the types that return it and say nah that's ok mate don't worry about it.

• Upvote 1

It's not just that, though.

I have a cousin who fixes everything in his cars. He thinks I'm NUTS for not doing that.

Well... if I take my brakes apart and then put them back together, I guarantee that I will die the next time I drive that car.

We aren't all built with the same capacities.

It's like the guys at Best Buy's Geek Squad and stuff like that. 90% or more of what they do is stuff the user can learn them selves if they are smart and savvy enough or strive to become that way.

But if everybody knows how to fix stuff on their computer, then those guys are out of work, and they're on unemployment, then they end up getting really angry at the world and they buy a gun and shoot everyone.

It's a public safety issue, really...

So willful ignorance is the way forward? That'll end well for society...;)

FWIW, I would argue that setting up a guitar requires far more finesse than changing a set of brake pads. If you can turn a wrench without knocking yourself unconscious, and have even the most rudimentary spatial orientation skills, then you are more than sufficiently equipped to replace your own brake pads. Grinding the rotors, perhaps not....baby steps.

Sorry i think I came across wrongly there, im totally ok with tipping staff etc and understand why tipping is important, necessary and fair over that side of the pond. Totally onboard.

I'm also a big fan of the "donation" model when it comes to unsigned bands or artists or freeware. Even something like Reaper probably comes under this banner too.

I mean more, for example, people on Facebook groups accepting "donations" for explaining to a new Helix user how to turn on their Helix and just so happening to have way to accept such donations already setup.

I mean what sort of guys are we? The sort that returns a wallet full of cash and accepts a reward or the types that return it and say nah that's ok mate don't worry about it.

I get you now, charging for an informative post is definitely not ok and absolutely violates the sense of community that permeates this forum and that Inerzia referred to when he started this topic.

I get you now, charging for an informative post is definitely not ok and absolutely violates the sense of community that permeates this forum and that Inerzia referred to when he started this topic.

Well, it's not being done on this forum. It's being done somewhere else.

Everything in the world is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

I just got home.

I plugged in the Helix.

I selected GDs Dumble Amp.

I played it for 90 minutes without stopping for air, I lost myself. I haven't stopped laughing.

Price $ 20

Value - PRICELESS

Go on...challenge yourself.......get the Dumble...heheheheheheheheheheheheh...I dare you

• Upvote 3

To the op: I also have the same question with you. I did bought glenns amps. They are great. Not something that can't be done with current helix stuff though. Why i did it? Cause it was easy, rather to spend time doing it myself.

Now if you ask me, if selling patches is ok, I am against it, that is the reason i don't sell patches.

That is the reason and the meaning of community. 

If i will buy again? Never. As you correctly stated, the equipment is different and the tone will also be different than the video you see-listen.

So willful ignorance is the way forward? That'll end well for society... ;)

FWIW, I would argue that setting up a guitar requires far more finesse than changing a set of brake pads. If you can turn a wrench without knocking yourself unconscious, and have even the most rudimentary spatial orientation skills, then you are more than sufficiently equipped to replace your own brake pads. Grinding the rotors, perhaps not....baby steps.

I'm not disagreeing with your premise, but as someone who has helped MANY people over the years with their vehicles...  you'd be surprised at how many smart talented people can't "turn a wrench without knocking (someone) unconscious, and (don't) have even the most rudimentary spatial orientation skills"  I'm just say'n.

I have created both freeware and commercial software.  I have several fillable/printable pdf forms out in the world.  I almost always put a "donate if you found this useful and feel moved to do so".   For me it's easy to do, because I have actual Acrobat software, not just the reader.  And no, saving as .pdf from a word isn't a real acrobat form either. But I digress..  If someone wants to donate, they can and it makes me feel good too.

I do the same on forums I run.  Some people feel that if you've saved them a ton of money with some advice, they just feel they'd like to give back in some form.  Helping to pay the bills works for me.  

I DO get what you are saying about "putting a donation button up" right away, does seem like putting the cart in front of the horse...  on the other hand..  for the average person that wants to make a donation...  they shouldn't have to work even harder to make their donation.  Contact you...  ask how.. then you either have to set something up in PayPal then or give them an addrees... etc etc.. now they're making me work harder for something that I don't really care about but makes them feel better..     nope... easier just to put the donate button up and if people use it... hooray... if not... hooray as well.   glad to help.

I have created both freeware and commercial software. I have several fillable/printable pdf forms out in the world. I almost always put a "donate if you found this useful and feel moved to do so". For me it's easy to do, because I have actual Acrobat software, not just the reader. And no, saving as .pdf from a word isn't a real acrobat form either. But I digress.. If someone wants to donate, they can and it makes me feel good too.

I do the same on forums I run. Some people feel that if you've saved them a ton of money with some advice, they just feel they'd like to give back in some form. Helping to pay the bills works for me.

I DO get what you are saying about "putting a donation button up" right away, does seem like putting the cart in front of the horse... on the other hand.. for the average person that wants to make a donation... they shouldn't have to work even harder to make their donation. Contact you... ask how.. then you either have to set something up in PayPal then or give them an addrees... etc etc.. now they're making me work harder for something that I don't really care about but makes them feel better.. nope... easier just to put the donate button up and if people use it... hooray... if not... hooray as well. glad to help.

Wonderful post. Very helpful. Where may I donate?

Facetiousness aside, I already said I'm totally on board with donations as payment for "freeware". But then, by definition it Is not free but has a A user defined value.

Asking for donations for freeware is a consequence of uninforcable copyright. Real freeware is exactly that: free.

And like I said, people can do what they want.

I'll let my stomach decide if I'm ok with someone asking for "donations". If it turns slightly then I know I'm not ok with that particular situation. Sorted.

First of all, I don't want to hurt anybody's way to make (or help to make) a living. With that out of the way:

There's something that's been bugging me for some time now, and maybe I just don't really understand why some people want to pay for 3rd party patches that they're gonna have to tweak to taste anyway, and, no matter how similar the gear used (to that used in making the patch), they're never gonna sound the same, so I ask myself, what's the point?

In the past, I've used custom tone to get samples of what others think sounds like a given song or artist, only to find that, even though there were some good patches, some others (even from the same authors as some good ones) weren't even in the ballpark of what they were trying to get.

I can understand that there can be some reasons to buy other guy's patches, like lazyness, lack of ability, lack of perspective (maybe being helix proficient but not knowing how to get that certain sound), and maybe the most important of them, lack of time, but I'm curious about your reasons, really.

It's just that, I just want to know what you all think about that matter.

And ...doesn't it harm the sense of community? I mean, why should anybody (specially people whose patches may be just as good as "commercial" ones) share patches on customtone when there are others that don't share theirs?

Any thoughts?

I think what glenn, fremen and others are doing is great. I always have to do major tweaking any way but they are putting in major work and if their work can get me a headstart and save me time? Great!

I am not lazy. I would rather spend any of my limited time for tweaking on making stuff I personally need. I used two of glenn's acoustic patches but by the time I was done, they don't even resemble what I bought. They helped me get a sound I was needing and the time saved was well worth it.

There is also a difference between a guy that maybe tweaked a cool tone and decides to share it and guys that are putting in tons of time trying to make patches that will be usable to others.

• Upvote 1

I can understand that there can be some reasons to buy other guy's patches, like lazyness, lack of ability, lack of perspective (maybe being helix proficient but not knowing how to get that certain sound), and maybe the most important of them, lack of time, but I'm curious about your reasons, really. 

It's just that, I just want to know what you all think about that matter.

Any thoughts?

I have bought patches from Fremen and Scott and I regard the fact that I paid as being similar to buying a friend a drink after they had done me a big, big favour. Simple as that! I know that it is not "laziness" or "lack of ability" or lack of knowledge, maybe a short cut as a time saver which I regard as valid.

• Upvote 3

I have bought patches from Fremen and Scott and I regard the fact that I paid as being similar to buying a friend a drink after they had done me a big, big favour. Simple as that! I know that it is not "laziness" or "lack of ability" or lack of knowledge, maybe a short cut as a time saver which I regard as valid.

That's what its really about.   And even to use a bartender metaphore...  I don't "expect" to get tips when I bartend, but I do put out the jar.  If someone wants to tip me, they don't have to make a fuss or interrupt me from something else..  They either use it... or don't.  It's all good with me.

I'm not disagreeing with your premise, but as someone who has helped MANY people over the years with their vehicles...  you'd be surprised at how many smart talented people can't "turn a wrench without knocking (someone) unconscious, and (don't) have even the most rudimentary spatial orientation skills"  I'm just say'n.

So soooo true... 

When I started with Helix, I was really disappointed with factory preset.

So I decide to create by myself starting from zero applying my knowledge.

I was really satisfy of my Job, I made a live video of my band and many people ask me to buy the patch

All my patches are made expecially for live usage, with snapshot and real time effects.

I spend lot of time to create them and I think it is correct to ask a small fee.

Many people use my pacthes to learn to use Helix, they ask me support and modifications.

It is the same situation to pay for guitar lessons.

Bye

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This topic comes up far too often for my liking. It is no one's business if I or anyone else prefer to buy or make patches to sell. Reasons have been stated many times why people do and do not buy them. In my opinion most people who comain about it want the patches and do not want to pay for them. It has nothing to do with Community at all. The thought that people are actually upset by what others spend their money on is almost laughable and posts like these do far more to harm the community than someone selling patches does. I normally avoid confrontation in forums but this topic is old and disturbing. I thank people willing to take time to make patches to sell for those that are not able, or in my case, too lazy to spend that much time. A large number of owners are not pros and would not even know where to start in making impulse responses or have the equipment available to do so. A hobbiest will make a couple patches but could never make the quality patches. Can I do it? Yes. But why can't others buy if they want. I am sorry but these are mostly "sour grapes" post by people who do not want to pay. I have said my peace and will not respond further or even read replies. I have nothing against anyone and do respect most posts and topics but this is a non productive post that constantly comes up and quite frankly has no place on the forums

• Upvote 1

This topic comes up far too often for my liking. It is no one's business if I or anyone else prefer to buy or make patches to sell. Reasons have been stated many times why people do and do not buy them. 

People are always going to find reasons to get upset by things that don't actually affect or even involve them. I can't understand it, but I also don't worry about it too much. Or at all. If I want to buy some presets for my Helix the last thing that's going to factor into that decision is whether some guy on the forum is going to disapprove.

This topic comes up far too often for my liking. It is no one's business if I or anyone else prefer to buy or make patches to sell. Reasons have been stated many times why people do and do not buy them. In my opinion most people who comain about it want the patches and do not want to pay for them. It has nothing to do with Community at all. The thought that people are actually upset by what others spend their money on is almost laughable and posts like these do far more to harm the community than someone selling patches does. I normally avoid confrontation in forums but this topic is old and disturbing. I thank people willing to take time to make patches to sell for those that are not able, or in my case, too lazy to spend that much time. A large number of owners are not pros and would not even know where to start in making impulse responses or have the equipment available to do so. A hobbiest will make a couple patches but could never make the quality patches. Can I do it? Yes. But why can't others buy if they want. I am sorry but these are mostly "sour grapes" post by people who do not want to pay. I have said my peace and will not respond further or even read replies. I have nothing against anyone and do respect most posts and topics but this is a non productive post that constantly comes up and quite frankly has no place on the forums

Maybe it's a topic you have come across far too often. I haven't. So I was curious and I asked.

If you think this is laughable, go on, laugh. I'm glad I made you laugh. You're welcome. It's free, don't worry. 

So this is laughable, I'm probably a freeloader, and a non productive sour grape... but you have said your piece and will not respond or even read replies. Fantastic.

Hit and run. 

People are always going to find reasons to get upset by things that don't actually affect or even involve them. I can't understand it, but I also don't worry about it too much. Or at all. If I want to buy some presets for my Helix the last thing that's going to factor into that decision is whether some guy on the forum is going to disapprove.

I don't approve or disapprove, because it's not my business, as you all keep saying. I just don't see the point, and I wanted to know what you all think about.

Your oppinion is also useful for me. Thanks.

So... sorry I asked, you two, may I burn in the flames of hell for my transgression.

I just wanted to see what other people thought. It is interesting for me, and nice to see people politely contrast their oppinions. 

I'll tell you to do what others are telling me to do about patches:

Don't want them? then don't buy them ---> Don't like this topic? ...well, you know what to do

I was really satisfy of my Job, I made a live video of my band and many people ask me to buy the patch

All my patches are made expecially for live usage, with snapshot and real time effects.

I spend lot of time to create them and I think it is correct to ask a small fee.

Many people use my pacthes to learn to use Helix, they ask me support and modifications.

I've watched some of your videos Marco, even before I opened this thread.

YOU sound amazing, with YOUR presets, YOUR guitars... maybe you would like how I sound with my Helix too (maybe not)... and maybe both of us would sound horrible through each other's gear.

Anyway, I think it's a nice touch to be available for support and modifications, it definitely adds value to what you're doing

I see your point about guitar lessons. I don't fully agree, but they're similar enough. I see what you mean.

YOU sound amazing, with YOUR presets, YOUR guitars... maybe you would like how I sound with my Helix too (maybe not)... and maybe both of us would sound horrible through each other's gear.

Anyway, I think it's a nice touch to be available for support and modifications, it definitely adds value to what you're doing

I see your point about guitar lessons. I don't fully agree, but they're similar enough. I see what you mean.

Of course I'd Like to see you :)

I am totally agree with you! Buying helix to achieve the same sound of other guitar player makes no sense.

Helix Kemper and Fractal are new things who change some rules in the market. It seems easy to reach desidered sound withou big effort.

This is not definitively true! It is the same as digital photo!

But...! But these devices let permit for a big amount of people to grow up and to understand the way with less effort.

I don't like to sell my patches only, I like to esatbilis new relationship and share needs and experiences.

I am not a professionist but I play guitar since 35 years, I like to share my experience and get all suggestions from worldwide, I am still a baby :))

Bye

This topic comes up far too often for my liking. It is no one's business if I or anyone else prefer to buy or make patches to sell. Reasons have been stated many times why people do and do not buy them. In my opinion most people who comain about it want the patches and do not want to pay for them. It has nothing to do with Community at all. The thought that people are actually upset by what others spend their money on is almost laughable and posts like these do far more to harm the community than someone selling patches does. I normally avoid confrontation in forums but this topic is old and disturbing. I thank people willing to take time to make patches to sell for those that are not able, or in my case, too lazy to spend that much time. A large number of owners are not pros and would not even know where to start in making impulse responses or have the equipment available to do so. A hobbiest will make a couple patches but could never make the quality patches. Can I do it? Yes. But why can't others buy if they want. I am sorry but these are mostly "sour grapes" post by people who do not want to pay. I have said my peace and will not respond further or even read replies. I have nothing against anyone and do respect most posts and topics but this is a non productive post that constantly comes up and quite frankly has no place on the forum

He's got as much right to bring up the topic as you have to think it's not valid.

I'm not entirely sure where you get the idea that you are somehow the forums conscious from but the only thing that's laughable in this thread is your sanctimonious post.

I believe it is important to keep an overall positive tenor on the forum (and humorous wherever possible). I love hearing people's positive impressions and experiences with Helix but I also want to hear about the bugs, hardware failures and suggested improvements. Topics and posts questioning what is sold by third parties as well as reviewing them are not only inevitable but a critical part of a sort of forum user's 'Consumer Reports' that helps make sure that the quality of what is being offered up to Helix users for purchase stays high. This topic and the user who started it have every right to bring this up on the forum, the OP did it in a respectful manner and topics like this although a little awkward at times actually improve quality control. Ironically, although the preset designers may dread them, these discussions give the commercial preset sellers a lot of free PR and may serve to change some people's minds and actually encourage them to buy those presets. This topic could well result in a net gain for those guys.

Trying to censor reasonable approaches to this debate like the one Inerzia took to this topic is not the way to go and will never work . I believe this topic should and will come up periodically and I enjoy hearing different perspectives on the subject and hope people take an opportunity to offer up alternatives to paid presets as well as tips for how to best employ paid presets and reviews as to who is making the best ones.

I believe it is important to keep an overall positive tenor on the forum (and humorous wherever possible). I love hearing people's positive impressions and experiences with Helix but I also want to hear about the bugs, hardware failures and suggested improvements. Topics and posts questioning what is sold by third parties as well as reviewing them are not only inevitable but a critical part of a sort of forum user's 'Consumer Reports' that helps make sure that the quality of what is being offered up to Helix users for purchase stays high. This topic and the user who started it have every right to bring this up on the forum, the OP did it in a respectful manner and topics like this although a little awkward at times actually improve quality control. Ironically, although the preset designers may dread them, these discussions actually give the commercial preset sellers a lot of free PR and may serve to change some people's minds and actually encourage them to buy those presets. This topic could actually result in a net gain for those guys.

Trying to censor reasonable approaches to this debate like the one Inerzia took to this topic is not the way to go and will never work . I believe this topic should and will come up periodically and I enjoy hearing different perspectives on the subject and hope people take an opportunity to offer up alternatives to paid presets as well as tips for how to best employ paid presets and reviews as to who is making the best ones.

Stop talking sense in a calm and articulate manor please.

• Upvote 2

When Snapshots became available, I broke down and bought Glenn's Snapshot Set to see how he was using that functionality. It was less than the cost of a lunch and I learned a few things much quicker than had I piddled around with it on my own. I was also curious how his patches would sound with my gear and playing style - which was about what I figured - significantly different from his YouTube videos. But it was worth it to me, and I wanted to chip into Glenn's efforts because I've learned so much from him over the years with various multiFX and modeling gear.

Bye

But patches are already DONE.

First of all you did it for yourself.

Why ask "small fee" for these patches? To compensate time which you spent on doing something for yourself? :)

It's not the same as paying for guitar lesson at ALL, as in case of a guitar lesson teacher spend his own time exclusively on you. :)

No offense.

Just don't understand this kind of thinking.

Goodness, I haven't seen such potent righteous indignation since that time someone referred to a college student using a gender-specific pronoun! I'm not saying the topic is taboo or that it shouldn't be discussed. The point that I would make is simply that the fact that some would paint purchasers of commercial presets as lazy and un-skilled, and purveyors of commercial presets as opportunistic profiteers, doesn't necessarily make it so. That said, my comment really didn't add much to the conversation and probably would have been better left unsaid. Or perhaps said better. For my part in this brief derailment I apologize.

But patches are already DONE.

First of all you did it for yourself.

Why ask "small fee" for these patches? To compensate time which you spent on doing something for yourself? :)

It's not the same as paying for guitar lesson at ALL, as in case of a guitar lesson teacher spend his own time exclusively on you. :)

No offense.

Just don't understand this kind of thinking.

Done or ot done where is the difference? I created patches I don't use for live, only to make experiment

Iphone apps have a fee, many software have costs.

Not only the time is a cost, the experience also!

If you can do the same patch of course you don't need to buy.

The important thing is the possibility to choice!

I bought several IR for my patches, some of them are unuseful but this is part o my research.

I am really happy because I bought IR who play very well.

No offense of course! These are only personal opinion :)

Not only the time is a cost, the experience also!

Exactly! :)

As for me - I like to share my experience. If I did cool patch for myself (or at least I think it's cool ;) ) it's a pleasure to me to share it with everybody.

And actually this is what I do for Ukrainian/russian speaking Helix community. :)

Many people post youtube videos where they explain how to build patches. (like Chad Huskey -

)

They are spending time on creating patches, they are spending time on video recording, narrating, editing, etc. just to share they experience with everybody for nothing.

Much appreciate their work.

Never purchased any, and have no plans to.

That being said, if someone manages to get paid for something they'd likely be doing on their own anyway, more power to 'em. When I was 10, my allowance was contingent upon me walking the dog and taking out the garbage...now I hafta do those things for free. Oh well...;)

Bye

Just taking a little detour from the subject at hand to say... that sounded really good! YOU and the HELIX! Man, if there's still a gap between digital modeling and tube amps at this point, it's barely big enough to stick a credit card through!

As for the original subject, I've said my piece. I haven't bought anybody's presets, but I'm not opposed to the idea of selling or buying them and I can't see any reason to get upset if people want to do either. There are much bigger things to worry about in life.

I understand your distaste for the whole donation and tipping thing but if you are European the reason tipping isn't necessary is that Europe actually pays its working class employees a living wage, e.g. minimum wage for a McDonald's worker in Denmark is $20. 

Which means you could buy a little over 3 gallons of gas there as compared to 10 or more here in the states... So much for a living wage...  ;)

As far as me spending your money go's, well, thats none of my business. Buy and sell what you want to I say. Just don't expect me to pay for it.

Which means you could buy a little over 3 gallons of gas there as compared to 10 or more here in the states... So much for a living wage... ;)

As far as me spending your money go's, well, thats none of my business. Buy and sell what you want to I say. Just don't expect me to pay for it.

20 dollars doesn't put my fuel warning light off :,(