Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Paying for patches and the "sense of community"

Inerzia

OMG.. Why does this thread even exist?  It's not like Line 6 were selling the patches.  And even if they were, so what?

Buy 'em or don't.  Who cares?  Please.  Let it go.

Make free patches for everybody... Or don't.

Personally, until food and everything we need every day are free for the taking, I'm all for paying people for their effort.  But if I don't feel like buying a preset, I don't.  

In fact, Line 6 SPENDS a lot of money to provide a forum for us to share presets if we feel like it.  And now we're going to hold that against them?

sigh

• Upvote 1

OMG.. Why does this thread even exist?  It's not like Line 6 were selling the patches.  And even if they were, so what?

Buy 'em or don't.  Who cares?  Please.  Let it go.

Make free patches for everybody... Or don't.

Personally, until food and everything we need every day are free for the taking, I'm all for paying people for their effort.  But if I don't feel like buying a preset, I don't.  

In fact, Line 6 SPENDS a lot of money to provide a forum for us to share presets if we feel like it.  And now we're going to hold that against them?

sigh

Get offended by the existence of this thread... or don't.

It seems that, after 4 pages of some interesting and some very interesting points made, it must have generated some interest.

Anyway, you're welcome to say whatever you want, of course, even if it's just to tell the rest of us to drop it. Not that I will.

• Upvote 1

Maybe this will make this thread go away. Or maybe people will get mad and freaked out!!!! IDK, anyway, Thank you guys for all of your support through the past 4 years. I really appreciate each and every one of you here, You've given me encouragement and also some very good constructive criticism. Rock On!!

• Upvote 2

Glenn - you ARE doing great service to this community and don't let Inerzia's principles take you down. He's got the right to have his opinion and so does everyone else. Personally I didn't buy any patches from yourself (although... now that I think of it... I might have, for POD HD500...   :)  ), but only because the  patch I was interested in you've kindly explained step by step on YT (D.Gilmour's SOS) and for that I'm extremely grateful.

As long as there are customers willing to pay for stuff, there will be providers willing to sell stuff. Nobody forced anybody to pay for anything (except for the Helix itself, which I did feel forced... as in - there was this irresistible Force pulling me towards buing it... GAS some folk call it... but it may be something far more dangerous...  :D  ) 

As the old proverb goes - cheap (or free), quick and good very rarely exist together. You either need to put some time in learning/creating patches (or anything else), or be prepared to pay for the service. CBTL is giving his great patches for free, but that's his choice and I wouldn't hold it against him if he decided to start selling them (especially now that he's proven many times over that they're top quality!).

As for the sense of community - I don't think one excludes the other. Mankind is one big Worldwide community and so far we've come quite long way while paying for stuff in one way or another...   ;)

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

There is a definite mix of quality of these patches that are chargeable, that's for sure - and what makes it hard to tell is that when you hear the 'sample', it's hard to tell if it's being post-processed etc. Pretty sure that nobody else can get the exact same sound with any of the patches that they download, when compared to the sample clips.

That being said - I've found Glenn's patches are top notch (although the thing that does frustrate me is the way that to change the 'normal' amp values and params are now split across at least 2 blocks - purely due to how the patch was created to simulate a 'non stock' amp. Just me being anal maybe :)). The pack I wish I never bothered with are the Choptones hard rock ones though; they're basically every amp as a preset with different gain levels.....

I don't have any issue with people selling stuff if it's something that's cost them time and effort. The only issue I have is the post production and tinkering that goes on to sell these patches.

You watch the videos and think 'Wow! those sound perfect" only to pay for them and realise it sounds no where near the video. I don't mean it sounds slightly off, they sound way off.

They don't sound bad by any means and I've used some as a basis for tweaking but the way they're sold is a little dishonest and leaves a bad taste.

You watch the videos and think 'Wow! those sound perfect" only to pay for them and realise it sounds no where near the video. I don't mean it sounds slightly off, they sound way off.

Which is almost always going to be the case. There are a million reasons for it, all of which have been discussed ad nauseam, so there's no reason to rehash them again...but let purveyors of said patches charge what the market will bear. I'd sell dirty socks if there was a market for them. Low overhead, and I'm producing a bare minimum of one pair a day anyway. 'Murica! ;)

I'd like 3 pairs of dirty socks, please. There are anchor's on 3 major news networks that need them for gum support. 

Yea I know but just the thought of that made me smile...  ;)

And cru is right but so is bossg. The thing is, those patches that Glenn and others make gives me ideas on other ways to use patches in Helix, and that's a good thing.

I'd like 3 pairs of dirty socks, please.

I'm currently offering two flavors:

Gym shoe: $11.95 a pair

Motorcycle boot-cured: $14.95 a pair (fuel surcharge).

Rented bowling shoe and tuxedo patent leather require 1 month notice and a 50% deposit. Prices vary... ;)

I'm currently offering two flavors:

Gym shoe: $11.95 a pair

Motorcycle boot-cured: $14.95 a pair (fuel surcharge).

Rented bowling shoe and tuxedo patent leather require 1 month notice and a 50% deposit. Prices vary... ;)

LOL, to quote Frank Zappa "stinkfoot, I ain't lying". The twisted thing is I am sure there is probably more than one website dedicated to this small in-home "cottage (cheese) industry". This could prove to be more lucrative than you suspect.   ;)

LOL, to quote Frank Zappa "stinkfoot, I ain't lying". The twisted thing is I am sure there is probably more than one website dedicated to this small in-home "cottage (cheese) industry". This could prove to be more lucrative than you suspect.   ;)

What about us regular folk who might wear tennis shoes, or the occasional python boot?