Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix recording issue

WaltWizard

Hey all!!!  I use my helix to record via usb to Logic 9.  Unfortunately Im getting a random popping noise while playing and recording.  Why??? It happens when using a clean patch as well as OD patch.  Help!!  Thanks in advance!!!

Hey all!!!  I use my helix to record via usb to Logic 9.  Unfortunately Im getting a random popping noise while playing and recording.  Why??? It happens when using a clean patch as well as OD patch.  Help!!  Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Waltdaddy,

You're not alone - this issue crops up regularly and is in several threads on here.

Some say it's latency, others say it's a Core Audio USB issue.

Anyhow, here is one thread to check and then you can follow any other links from within that thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/23629-popping-and-clicking-using-logic/

Hope this helps.

Hi Waltdaddy,

You're not alone - this issue crops up regularly and is in several threads on here.

Some say it's latency, others say it's a Core Audio USB issue.

Anyhow, here is one thread to check and then you can follow any other links from within that thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/23629-popping-and-clicking-using-logic/

Hope this helps.

Thanks!!  I'll go through the thread!!!  Appreciate ya!!!

Make sure you have your patches output set to USB 3/4 or 5/6 when going into your DAW. I had noticeable noise from my DAW (Studio One 3) while it was on the default USB 1/2, when I switched to 3/4 it cleared up.

Sorry if this is obvious, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Make sure you have your patches output set to USB 3/4 or 5/6 when going into your DAW. I had noticeable noise from my DAW (Studio One 3) while it was on the default USB 1/2, when I switched to 3/4 it cleared up.

That's not obvious at all.  I've never heard of that fix.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I've never encountered this using USB 1/2 when using Logic or Studio One 3. Weird.

Well, that's a new one to me. Got to agree with "soundog" (above) - I haven't experienced any noise problem specific to using USB 1/2 in Logic, GBand, Ableton, Reaper or Pro Tools either. I had lot of strange stuff happen on the iMac with MIDI and reamping (now fixed) but I will file that one under "very odd".

I don't claim to be an expert by any means. It could be a side effect of not having ins&outs setup properly in my DAW, but everything else seems to work as expected. It also seems to have fixed the issue for a few people. ( posted same thing on the Presonus board where I guy was having the same issue, and it solved it for him,)

On page 54 of the Helix manual (Rev D) it states the following which got me to try USB 3/4 rather than leaving it on 1/2.

"When a DAW track's software monitoring is active, you'll likely not want to simultaneously hear the Helix hardware monitoring signal. To achieve this, you can set the Helix Output block to USB Out 3/4 or 5/6. These Output block options will route your Helix-processed, stereo signal out to your DAW software without also providing the Helix hardware monitoring to USB 1/2. You'll then need to set your DAW track to receive from the same selected Helix USB Out to record the Helix-processed signal into the track - or, you can optionally set the DAW track input to Helix USB 7 or USB 8 to record a dry DI signal - see the next section."

I don't claim to be an expert by any means. It could be a side effect of not having ins&outs setup properly in my DAW, but everything else seems to work as expected. It also seems to have fixed the issue for a few people. ( posted same thing on the Presonus board where I guy was having the same issue, and it solved it for him,)

On page 54 of the Helix manual (Rev D) it states the following which got me to try USB 3/4 rather than leaving it on 1/2.

"When a DAW track's software monitoring is active, you'll likely not want to simultaneously hear the Helix hardware monitoring signal. To achieve this, you can set the Helix Output block to USB Out 3/4 or 5/6. These Output block options will route your Helix-processed, stereo signal out to your DAW software without also providing the Helix hardware monitoring to USB 1/2. You'll then need to set your DAW track to receive from the same selected Helix USB Out to record the Helix-processed signal into the track - or, you can optionally set the DAW track input to Helix USB 7 or USB 8 to record a dry DI signal - see the next section."

HI Jay,

You are totally correct with your quote of the statements on page 54 of the manual. If it is fixing the issue for PreSonus users I cannot fault you on that, good work on your part, sir.

It could well just be that the reason the that both "soundog" and I commented as we did, is that we are managing to avoid problems on USB 1/2 by not using the DAW software monitoring option and the horrible latency effect it produces, as noted in the first paragraph on the same page.

Just a thought.

I think I understand what your saying. As I said I'm a novice with a lot of the DAW stuff still. I will have to look into what your referring to, as it might simplify things for me if it does work for me like that. Thanks,

Jay

I think I understand what your saying. As I said I'm a novice with a lot of the DAW stuff still. I will have to look into what your referring to, as it might simplify things for me if it does work for me like that. Thanks,

Jay

Hi Jay,

This clip from Sean Halley is a good example of recording via USB 1/2 into a DAW, (ProTools in his case), but they are all pretty similar in use. At one minute into the video he refers to the fact that Helix has, "low latency monitoring built -in" and then about 2 minutes in, Sean mentions using the input mute button to avoid "software" monitoring and the latency and odd comb filtering effects that can happen with that.

This is the way I've always done it and it works fine for me, although YMMV, as they say!

As previously noted, if switching to USB 3/4 or 5/6 works for PreSonus users, then it is worth knowing as its a fix-it for them. Maybe it's something that only happens in PreSonus. I've never used it so I don't know, but thanks for the "Heads Up" on that.

Oh, yeah - I always record a dry mono signal on USB 7 to have available for re-amping if needed.