Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Jtv-89 Owner And Hd500 Power Cycle

I am having an power cycle issue on my 500 caused by my JTV.  If I have the JTV plugged in to the 500 using the variax connection on either my bought 25' Line 6 cable or the supplied cable for updating when powering on the 500...  My HD500 will turn on for about 10 seconds and then it will power cycle off and on and be fine and stable.  Is this normal behavior when using the variax connection and the HD500?  It doesn't happen when if I have a 1/4" connected only when the variax connection is connected?  Like I said I am a new Variax owner and would like to know if my new JTV is defective.

Well, I don't think it's normal behavior, but I don't usually power up my HD500 with the JTV attached. I'm wondering if perhaps having the JTV attached while powering might not be causing a spike which is causing the HD500 to cycle again.

I have the same issue with my JTV-69S. If I have it plugged in via the VDI cable and port on my HD500 and plug in the power, it fires up, then like yours about 10 seconds later power cycles, then is fine. I just got an HD500X, and it does the same on the 500X. I also have a JTV-59, and it never does that with the 59 hooked up before I power up the pedal -- strange. It does not happen when I start up the HD500 & 500X with the 69S not plugged in, then plug the VDI cable into the 69S. I do this when I'm setting up at a gig -- I set up the HD500 and power it on, as I set up and arrange my cables. I get out my 59 & 69S and hang them on the guitar stand, then when I'm ready to check the guitars and tune them up. I plug them in -- the pedal does not reboot....

I don't know what makes it happen on my 69S, but not the 59, but no, I don't think the issue is a bad guitar. I've been using my 59 since mid 2011, and my 69S since late 2012, and have not had an Issue with either one and the 500 or 500X. It's annoying, but not fatal to the equipment. I find it interesting to hear about it on the 89 model. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned on the forums before (or I missed it), but I also never posted about it, either.....

Dave

Thanks Dave, your comments make me feel assured that as long as this is a normal behavior I am good with it.  I didn't want to get out there and gig and have it power cycle in the middle of a song. Also, no it doesn't power cycle if I plug it in after the HD500 is up and running. Strange. 

Thanks to everyone's input.