Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Spider V worth it?

weaselcam

I have been looking for a new amp and like the Idea of modeling amps. at the moment i've researched and tried out Spider V, Vypyr VIP 3 and marshall CODE.

I play a lot of punk but do like to throw in classic & hard rock songs (and on occasion some Metal). Reading all reviews it seems to be a toss up which is best. Though code is at the bottom of the list. does anyone have the spider V and really like it or really hate it. Is it right for my type of music.

thanks!!

Such a subjective call, but regardless,  I'll throw my two cents in.

I recently purchased a Spider V/120 and I like it.  I like it a great deal more now that I also bought the FBV3 foot controller.   I've never played punk but I think you would find a great many of the Line 6 presets appropriate.  I didn't need the 120 and could have/should have went for the 60.  I just thought that it might be gig worthy and I wanted a bit more substance. 

POSITIVES: Sounds- for the most part- are full bodied and exciting.  Fun.  Great variety with the different amps and effects, with the presets being nice starting places. Well constructed.

Negatives: Needs to have a way to edit tones via a PC link; not just a iPhone/iPad - I find using my phone or daughters iPad inconvenient and clunky.

I tried out the Vypyr.  It did not give me much of a WOW.  It also seemed a bit cheap in the way it was built.  I might be completely wrong here but that's just the way it seemed to me.  I was not tempted to purchase it at all.  Not even with the benefit of knowing that I could have taken it home with me immediately (instead of having to order the Spider).   I did not investigate it's editing capability as I was so unimpressed with it.

I am pleased with my choice to go with the Spider V.  I'm sure others might feel differently.  With electronics being what they are today it's easy to forget that this is only a MODELING amp.  There ain't no tubes in this thing and that "rectifier" sound you want isn't gonna feel 100% true; or even 90%.  Never the less, it's close and it sounds pretty good in it's own right. 

Good luck with your decision.

You don't need iPad or phone to edit patches... you can edit right from the amp... it is nice that they gave an iPad option with cloud storage and access to community tones. I hope they do come out with a pc editor though...

I picked up the spider v 120 and so far I'm very happy with the features. Thank god they finally brought back the direct outputs without bypassing the speakers (for stage volume) on the higher models (not available on all). Was my only disappointment with the spider iv. I own a lot of Line 6 gear and this small, flexible, light weight amp is the perfect combo for live gigging with a cover band. I also picked up a relay g10 for the built in wireless... very nice. Crisp, clean and no latency.... I like that it works with all of my old FBV longboards too.

For $399 they are giving a lot of functionality and features... finally I have everything in one package that is really light weight.

I have the Spider 60 and I love it. I will let you all in on a little secret: If you have both the AmpliFi app and the Spider Remote app you can search tones for songs in your local music library on the AmpliFi app, download them there and then go to the Spider Remote app and the downloaded tones will also appear there, as long as you used the same Line 6 account to login to both...

So I got a few decent Blink-182, Ataris and Green Day tones that way, but you are not limited to Rock and Punk tones, you can find tones from classic rock, blues all the way to current stuff. Even if the downloaded tones are not 100% there, you can find ones that are pretty close to what you want and tweak them. I found a few U2 tones that only needed a bump up in presence and a bump down in bass to be just the way I wanted them.

No. I have been happy with spider iii 220 but realize I made a big mistake by spending $400 on the spider v 120. I am not a line 6 hater and despise the tube amp only elitism found all over the place. I enjoy my tube amps and solid state. Line 6 needs to upgrade/fix the firmware and app so sounds can be be edited while connected to a computer. This is a major fail. The mail reason I purchased this amp was to use the app along with recording. So far it is a disaster. At think point and time the pros are easy to use controls, decent clean tones, app except it shuts off when amp connected to pc making it half useless, wireless. I have not tested the amp aux inputs for things like v drums but plan to and hope not to be too disappointed. I am going to attempt to contact the online retailer where I purchased to return as Line 6 seems to have released this prematurely, but don't expect to be able to. Hope Line. 6 can issue updates that can redeem this product.