Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 USB to MIDI

Old-Rocker

Hi,i'm trying to pluck up courage to connect my DT25 to my computer for Firmware Upgrade via Monkey? & to connect to DT edit to have a go at the different amp models.

I have read members are using various Midi interfaces to do this.

My question is,can a simple USB to Midi coverter cable be used for this,i have one which i use with my A & H mixwiz 3 which works perfectly ok,but i have read about the DT "crashing" when connecting to Midi,would you advise against using this basic USB to Midi cable for the DT25

No DT25 here but I have used the M-Audio Uno countless times for firmware reflashes and editing on L6 gear. Other midi/usb interfaces I have not had much success with. Download the flash file to your pc and use the Monkey option "flash from file" <- for me its the most reliable.

• Upvote 1

Well,it is an Ebay special,so i don't think i'll risk it,in case the Amp crashes :( ,.

I've been doing a dummy run of Monkey & DT Edit

In the drop down box on the Monkey,there are no DT amps listed,or do they only appear when the Monkey sees the Amp?.

I keep reading up to 8 pre-amps can be stored in the DT,but i can only see slots for 2?,or am i misunderstanding the set-up?

The M Audio Midisport is on offer at the same price as the Uno,any reason to buy this in preference to the Uno?

Well,it is an Ebay special,so i don't think i'll risk it,in case the Amp crashes :( ,.

I've been doing a dummy run of Monkey & DT Edit

In the drop down box on the Monkey,there are no DT amps listed,or do they only appear when the Monkey sees the Amp?.

I keep reading up to 8 pre-amps can be stored in the DT,but i can only see slots for 2?,or am i misunderstanding the set-up?

The M Audio Midisport is on offer at the same price as the Uno,any reason to buy this in preference to the Uno?

I think the Uno is best personally and a big part is probably their rock solid drivers.  I have no experience with the Midisport, not sure if there would be any need for more than the Uno does.

The DT will show once you are all connected.

The DT Edit screen only shows 2 at a time, Channel A on top and Channel B below.  Then you cycle through the voicings and configure as you wish until all 8 are set the way you want them.

Thank you,BillBee & radatats.I've ordered the Uno,when it arrives i'll risk all & make the connections.

While some in the past have posted they were successful with other midi interfaces there were some that didn't go well. I think your making a good decision getting the Midisport.

I think when I got it I had to get the drivers from their website. Here's their driver search page in case you haven't been there yet > http://maudio.com/support/drivers-search

Midisport arrived & installed the Driver,i'll pluck up courage to connect it all up Tomorrow :unsure:

When I did it I was always on edge cause this area was/is known for power outages. Messed with my nerves a bit but I never had an issue.

Well,as i feared i'm getting error messages,the Monkey appears to be seeing the DT25,but when i start the update download i get an error message,& it says check Midi connections.

I'm connecting the Uno Midi IN to the Midi IN on the DT25,with the Midi OUT on the Uno disconnected,is this correct?.

I have the DT25,in Standby mode.

Thanks.

Well,as i feared i'm getting error messages,the Monkey appears to be seeing the DT25,but when i start the update download i get an error message,& it says check Midi connections.

I'm connecting the Uno Midi IN to the Midi IN on the DT25,with the Midi OUT on the Uno disconnected,is this correct?.

I have the DT25,in Standby mode.

Thanks.

Good Morning Old Rocker,

You should have midi out to midi in. Take the UNO's midi out and plug that into the DT's midi in.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/use-midi-cable-out-plugs-49492.html

Good Morning &Thanks,Brazzy,is the Uno Midi IN not connected?,i've noticed that only the USB led is light up on the Uno.

Also the Uno's Midi plugs are labeled 

To Midi OUT:with an arrow  pointing away fro the Pins

To Midi IN   : with An Arrow pointing towards the pins

The Midi IN/OUT leds are not lighting.

Good Morning &Thanks,Brazzy,is the Uno Midi IN not connected?,i've noticed that only the USB led is light up on the Uno.

Also the Uno's Midi plugs are labeled 

To Midi OUT:with an arrow  pointing away fro the Pins

To Midi IN   : with An Arrow pointing towards the pins

The Midi IN/OUT leds are not lighting.

Your welcome. I have to admit I haven't used mine in a while so it sounds like you have the right connection made. I'm sure that when I did it I had both in and out connected to the DT.

You said earlier you had the issue during the download part of the update. Maybe you need to manually download the update and then when you start the installer point towards the already downloaded file. I've this issue before but not with this install.

The following is from Line 6 support/downloads page.

DT25 Flash Memory v2.0 RELEASE NOTES

DT25 Flash Memory v2.0 is a FREE firmware update that is highly recommended for all DT25 users.

What’s New?

• Configure each Voicing independently per channel with*:
    • Any 1 of 30 HD Preamps/Tonestacks
    • Any 1 of 4 Negative Feedback Loop configurations
    • Any 1 of 17 Cabinets
    • Any 1 of 12 Reverbs with unique Decay, Pre-Delay, and Tone settings
  • Configure XLR Direct Output Mic Emulation

• Reverb “spillover†between Channel A and B

FAQ For more information about DT25, the FAQ can be found here.

Users Guide The latest technical documentation for the DT25 can be found here.

*For more information on configuring each Voicing, please refer to the DT25 MIDI Implementation Guide

FIRMWARE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Required:

• A MIDI interface that connects to your computer via USB (download the current Driver for it if you don't have it installed)

• MIDI cables (or a MIDI interface that includes integrated MIDI cables)

• Latest version of the Line 6 Monkey application installed. Download Line 6 Monkey here

Procedure:

• Connect your MIDI interface to your computer via USB cable

• Connect the DT25 MIDI Output to your MIDI interface Input, and connect the DT25 MIDI Input to your MIDI interface Output

• Launch the Line 6 Monkey with the DT25 connected via the MIDI interface and powered on

• Select the Flash Memory line item and click the Update Selection button to install the flash memory update into the DT25

• The device will receive the firmware data and the unit will be updated to the latest Firmware

OS: Windows XP, Mac OS X, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10

( 432.95 KB ) Get Download

Also this is from the knowledge base.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/dt50dt25/

DT25/DT50 FIRMWARE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

NEEDED:

• A MIDI interface that connects to your computer via USB (download the current Driver for it if you don't have it installed)
  • 2 MIDI cables (or a MIDI interface such as the M-Audio Uno that comes with attached MIDI cables, not: this interface must have it's own set of Midi drivers)

NOTE: Line 6 recommends a name brand USB to MIDI interface produced by an audio company that supports/updates their drivers. Good choices include: M-Audio, Edirol, E-Mu and MOTU. These interfaces have proven to be more robust and reliable when it comes to large MIDI transfers such as the DT25 and DT50 update.

• Latest version of Line 6 Monkey installed. Download and install the Line 6 Monkey software here.

Procedure

• Connect your MIDI interface to your computer via USB cable.
  • Connect the DT25/DT50 MIDI Out to your MIDI interface In, and connect the DT25/DT50 MIDI In to your MIDI interface Out.
  • Launch the Line 6 Monkey with the DT25/DT50 connected via the MIDI interface and powered on.
  • Select the Flash Memory line item and click the Update Selection button to install the flash memory update into the DT25/DT50.
  • The device will receive the firmware data and the unit will be updated to the latest Firmware.

***If the firmware update fails and you are having trouble reconnecting to Line 6 Monkey, please try putting the unit into SAFE MODE before starting up and connecting to the Line 6 Monkey software. To do this, hold the channel select switch down to 'Channel B' and power on the DT amplifier while holding this switch down. Let go of the switch after 10 seconds or so, then re-start Line 6 Monkey and follow the steps above to update/re-install the flash memory.

Edited by Brazzy

Also here's an old thread on it that might help you. There's more to the thread than what I copy/pasted if you want to read more of it click the following link.

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/89126/

DT25 Update - error code 8000000A
by greghall on 2012-11-06 00:57:17.9270

I've tried to update my DT25 with the 2.0 firmware, but get the 8000000A error code.

I bought a new UNO midi cable, connected to my Mac Book Pro (running Lion), ran Monkey, selected MIDI device, then DT25 combo. Monkey detected the DT25 and confirmed the current firmware version. I ran Update, and got the error code.

I have the latest driver, and have tried swapping the cables around, and also doing the update from a manual download.

Does anyone have any suggestions to overcome this issue?

Re: DT25 Update - error code 8000000A
by DarthHollis on 2012-11-06 04:48:36.0570

#1 Keep trying (sometimes I have had to try multiple times to get it to work)

#2 Switch the Midi In and Midi Out pins going into the amp (make sure the lights on the deviced are on)

#3 BOTH the Midi in and out on your computer need to show the conntection to the UNO midi cable

#4 Make sure the amp is "On" (I was wondering why it wasn't working for me before I noticed the amp was off - duh)

Hope this helps

by warta on 2012-11-06 10:06:52.7870

I have the same issue

Latest drivers, switch cables, restart computer, turn amp on/off

The monkey still doesn't find/update the amp

Moving the controls on the amp makes the midi light blink, wchich tells me the UNO is presumably working

Can't help but wondering why no line 6 techs have answered these problems

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-06 10:13:35.1720

warta wrote:

Can't help but wondering why no line 6 techs have answered these problems

line6 doesn't do support in the forum anymore...

if you want input from line6, you need to call them or open a support ticket.

by sopachrga on 2012-11-06 10:42:45.1200

Try this:

-Power the amp off

-Disconnect Midi cables from the amp (and all other cables, so you only have a speaker and power cable connected)

-Hold the Channel selector switch down (towards channel B) then turn the main power switch on (Just leave it in standby)

-Continue holding the channel switch for a good six seconds. (Nothing will happen to indicate that you have held it long enough)

-Then release the channel switch

-Plug the midi cables back in

-Start Monkey back up

That worked for my DT50, hopefully the DT25 is the same.

by greghall on 2012-11-06 14:47:54.5400

Thank you for all your help / suggestions.

After many attemps, I finally got the firmware update to work, by turning the amp on with the MIDI cables connected / USB plugged into the Mac. Then I toggled through topologies I to IV a couple of times, until on IV the MIDI in light on the UNO stayed on for a few seconds. This seemed to get the MIDI connection working, becuase after that I opened up Monkey and ran the update, and it all worked fine.

I'm not sure why this worked, but it may be that the driver has to receive a MIDI signal before it will send one - just a guess!

by warta on 2012-11-08 08:18:57.0790

The saga continues....

I called Line 6

Tried the safe start mode. Nothing

He suggested I buy new cables or try another computer. Maybe thats's the problem. And oh by the way, this is not a warranty item since the amp "works".

He said I could send the amp to them and they could update it. Ya, right.

I purchased a midi cable to see if my amp received signals via HD500. It does.

I downloaded Midiox and in the window I have midi signals coming and going through my existing cables when I move diasl on the amp.

The issue seems to me to be the Line 6 monkey and its inability to find the amp for whatever reason.

Based upon the many posts I've read from clear back to 2007 it's an ongoing issue. Many users seem to keep trying, flip swithches 20 times, start and restart their computers, the monkey, or the amp and magically it works.

Unfortunately for me it hasn't

And line 6 appears inable or unwilling to fix the issue.

by snuffels9 on 2012-11-10 07:37:11.1720

Here is another magic trick, that worked for me. ;-)

I had the issue that Line6 Monkey could detect the DT25, and started to update the firmware, but the update failed with some weird error message. I got It working after I downloaded the firmware file from the web page and told the monkey to update from file instead of letting it download the file.

Thanks,for the help,i don't know quite how bit i managed to get it working with DT Edit, :)

I restarted the Computer,re-downloaded the driver plugged in both Midi connections(in/out)into the DT,with the leads marked in/out in the connectors marked in/out.

The DT is showing version 2.0,is this the latest version?

I'm also surprised that there is a cab & mic selected with the Pre-Amp settings,or is this for the XLT out?

Thanks,for the help,i don't know quite how bit i managed to get it working with DT Edit, :)

I restarted the Computer,re-downloaded the driver plugged in both Midi connections(in/out)into the DT,with the leads marked in/out in the connectors marked in/out.

I'm also surprised that there is a cab & mic selected with the Pre-Amp settings,or is this for the XLT out?

Glad you got it working. Yes 2.0 is latest version as far as I know. Since you got DT Edit working you can play your amp and turn the cab sims on and off to see if your tone is affected.

Glad you got it working. Yes 2.0 is latest version as far as I know. Since you got DT Edit working you can play your amp and turn the cab sims on and off to see if your tone is affected.

Hey Old Rocker, did you try turning off the cab sims using DT Edit to see if you hear a difference in tone? Hope your having fun. :)

Good stuff here, the days of plugging in the Hosa midi cable to the Sound blaster port are long gone. The Uno can flip flop its port plugging mine goes in/in out/out for L6 stuff and the normal route for a few others.

Hey BillBee, when I first dealt with midi the Uno was my first other than using my HD500 to control my X3Pro. When I first looked at the ins and outs as simple as it seems I was still confused a little, lol. I was thinking it was going to be A to A and B to B, hahaaaa so when I saw midi out to midi in I had to think about it. :unsure: 

Sounds like your saying the Midisport Uno doohickey can go either way but I'm not sure about that. Like Old Rocker said the midi connectors on the Uno say "to midi in" and "to midi out". I haven't dug mine out of the bag lately so I'm not sure how mine was marked. Now out of curiosity I gotta look at it, lol. :)

Oh it only works in/in & out/out for the Pod 2, Floorpod +, Vetta, Flex 2 & 3, Duoverb..... Zoom G9 but with  somethings it does go in/out out/in (Ha! the ole in out!) Go figure. On multiple pc's too. That's why I say if at first there is no communication swap them and see. I was losing my mind when I first got the Uno years ago (my Win98 machine died and with it went the SB card I used with the Hosa adaptor) until I swapped the leads and **poof** the sucker worked.

But yes, in general midi for me has always been out/in.

• Upvote 1

Oh it only works in/in & out/out for the Pod 2, Floorpod +, Vetta, Flex 2 & 3, Duoverb..... Zoom G9 but with  somethings it does go in/out out/in (Ha! the ole in out!) Go figure. On multiple pc's too. That's why I say if at first there is no communication swap them and see. I was losing my mind when I first got the Uno years ago (my Win98 machine died and with it went the SB card I used with the Hosa adaptor) until I swapped the leads and **poof** the sucker worked.

But yes, in general midi for me has always been out/in.

LOL, the ole in/out.....Somehow I knew that was ​coming.

is it true that linking the pod with the DT with a MIDI cable, and then the pod to the PC/MAC via USB cable, the monkey will see the DT as a midi device? or it is a lollipop?

I don't know about this either. Sounds untrue to me, lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHA o my god ahahhahaa i write something different but a corrector or an automatic moderation changed the word..

i meant, "or it is a lie" ?

That's funny man! LOL

I don't know about that,but the Monkey & DT edit can see the DT via MIDI,& the Edit can be used to "program"?,the DT. 

I know i'm going to regret asking this,but,what is a lollipop(with reference to your post)

lollipop is an auto censorship within this forum, lol.

• 2 months later...

just a thought...check to see if you interface has an echo option...This needs to be turned off. Most interfaces have it turned off by default. A few like the old Edirol that a lot of folks used years back had the echo on and it will make communication pretty much impossible.

• 5 years later...