Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using I.R's to model anything?

pete1975

Hi, i have the Helix and its great,i downloaded a glenn delune patch to simulate an acoustic guitar and classical guitar.

Both sound truely amazing,even through my electric guitar with emgs into a dual rectifier!!!

My question is-what made this possible is the custom I.R he included,without it it just sounded like a clean amp sound,is it so possible then to use I.R's to model any instrument? i.e. a mandolin,piano,trumpet...........

Well, no.

If I'm correct, an IR (Impulse Response) is an EQ curve used to shape your sound. However, you cannot alter the type of instrument you are playing, e.g. from Electric Guitar to Piano. However, you can change the character of your sound from clean to acoustic thourhg IRs.

Well, no.

If I'm correct, an IR (Impulse Response) is an EQ curve used to shape your sound. However, you cannot alter the type of instrument you are playing, e.g. from Electric Guitar to Piano. However, you can change the character of your sound from clean to acoustic thourhg IRs.

What?!?! No bassoon IR's? Steel drums? Didgeridoo? That's it...I quit. ;)

Well, no.

Well an IR is more than just an EQ curve. I guess if you wanted to think of it as an EQ curve, you'd have to say it's lke an EQ curve being applied dynamically over time. But the actual mathematical function being applied with an IR is actually much more complex than an EQ curve. It takes into account things phase shift, resonance, and other things that have an effect on the way sound is produced from the source cabinet or instrument.

Forgetting trying to emulate specific instruments for a moment, you can be very creative with impulse responses - use any audio files as IR-s.

Diego Stocco does this quite effectively:

http://www.diegostocco.com/rhythmic-convolutions-2/

Amazing stuff! I am simultaneously intrigued and somewhat intimidated by the capabilities of this technology. You need to be very facile with it to not find yourself crossing that blurry line between musician and technician (assuming you want to do both); at least in the conventional sense of a musician being an expert on an instrument. I guess it is legitimate to say that manipulating digital sound at this level is an instrument of sorts but part of me just wants to leave that stuff to an engineer and focus on my guitar. The learning curve and amount of time that manipulating plugins like this can require has the capacity to engulf you. So cool though and I can definitely see employing it to a limited extent. The technology also keeps moving forward and making these results faster and easier to achieve which means it frees up more time spent on a 'conventional' instrument. Who knows what music will sound like in another twenty years? Ever since the recording studio moved into the home and advanced tone design and synthesis stopped being the exclusive province of the keyboard player life has gotten a lot more interesting for guitarists who want to explore new sounds. You can play your old Tele direct to an old Fender Bassman with no pedals or you can 'Fripp' out and beyond. The possibilities are dizzying.