Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Ghost Notes?

Have any of you having problems tuned your guitar to an alternate tuning BEFORE using the control on the guitar to achieve the change?  I read somewhere else on this forum that it was causing issues with the 12-string modelling, as well as alternate tunings.  Probably not applicable here, but wanted to note.

I'd like to thank everyone for giving your viewpoints and suggestions. I have opened a support ticket with line 6 early (EST) on Monday, Sept 2nd. I have not heard a word from them yet. I may direct them to this thread so they can see that there are other owners with similar problems.

I also purchased my guitar from Sweetwater, and they had done the latest firmware update before shipping it to me. Because I had the problem from the start (with alternate tunings), I downloaded the firmware again and re-flashed the guitar. All went smoothly, but it did nothing to resolve the problem. BTW, I had a bear of a time with the registration process at Line 6's site. I had registered my guitar the day it arrived. That registration was in their system, however, when I went to re-download the firmware, it somehow still thought that I had an unregistered guitar. So, I had to re-register it, then delete the earlier one. What's up with that? Major PITA.

So, when I hear from Line 6, I will share whatever I learn here on the forum. I'm hoping that they can direct me to download a newer beta upgrade of the firmware that just magically fixes it. I would be seriously unhappy to have to send the guitar back to them after owning it for a week!!

I had registered my guitar the day it arrived. That registration was in their system, however, when I went to re-download the firmware, it somehow still thought that I had an unregistered guitar. So, I had to re-register it, then delete the earlier one. What's up with that? Major PITA.

I believe sometimes there can be a lag in the system. One thing, though, is that you don't actually have to register the guitar to install the update. You can always hit the "save for later" (or whatever the specific wording is) option on Monkey.

I believe sometimes there can be a lag in the system. One thing, though, is that you don't actually have to register the guitar to install the update. You can always hit the "save for later" (or whatever the specific wording is) option on Monkey.

Thanks. I seem to remember that. But as I recall, if it did not see that I had a registered JTV, it would not show the new firmware download. I may be wrong, as it was late at night and I was tired!!

sorry to hear that, i think your guitar needs service. but i might try version 1.83 (because i hate giving up easy...)

1.83 made some structural changes in the software... (required for the hd acoustics), and maybe these differences will matter? maybe not?

but it's something to try until line6 gets you're guitar into service.

Re-flashed to 1.83, no luck still having the same issue.

I should have returned it to MF during the return period, but had already returned one with a broken truss rod.

I should have returned it to MF during the return period, but had already returned one with a broken truss rod.

If you like the guitar, demand that Line 6 make good on providing you a guitar that does what you paid for. That is their responsibility. I will let you know what I find out. Keep the faith!

Did you set up a support ticket? I'm sure that Line6 will take care of you if it's in warranty.

This is my first post in this forums - I never had any problems with my variax, but last week it started to drive me crazy...

I have a JTV-89 with fixed bridge, purchased December 2011 and I really love this Guitar, but since I started to try different tunings naturally (not modeled within the variax) the sound got terrible. The deeper I go naturally (I love low drop tunings) the more problems I get when I switch on the Variax electronics. As mentioned above, these problems are ghost notes or bad resonances or whatever you wanna call it, when I switch to different tunings or to a 12-String model. It sounds like the modeled tone is a half or full step above the note i am playing.

I tried reflashing, rollbacks etc and had no luck. I cleaned the bridge and did a completely new setup (with extra high action so no fret buzz can occur at all) and had no luck. I also tried the factory reset directly on the guitar (holding down model poti while putting 1/4 cable in etc.) with no luck... The next step I want to try is to restring this beauty with stock gauge 10-46 and see if the problems still occur (I still have to order a 10-46 Set since I play in Drop C with very thick strings  and don't have normal gauges at home). I am 1000% sure these ghost notes weren't there when I made the purchase. I recorded demos and played it in many sessions (using 10-46 strings in standard tuning, sometimes a half step down) while always using the variax electronics with different models, virtual tunings and 12-Strings and there NEVER was anything like that! 

It's been a few weeks since I played my variax and I can't tell exactly when these ghosts came in my guitar because I play it in the natural tuning 90% of the time. Then I picked it up last week (before I made the HD update) and I noticed these strange notes as I wanted to try a 12-String in open A - this was the first time I noticed it. I hoped the HD Update would fix this but... you know...

I don't know if this is a help or something, but maybe it has to do something with different naturally tunings or the string gauges...  I opened a support ticket as well two days ago.

what do you think about this point? Do you others that have the same probs play in different tunings or with different string gauges?

Usually when people report hearing this it ends up simply being the natural resonance of the standard-tuned string that they are hearing, which creates dissonance with the alternate tuning. The human ear can pick up the natural note/pitch at surprisingly low volumes relative to the amplified sound of the alternate tuning. Note that the natural string vibration is only a couple of feet from your ears, while you amp/speakers are relatively much further away.

There are three ways to test for this:

- turn your amp/speakers up VERY loud to completely mask the natural vibration. Usually not practical because the volume required bothers the neighbours.

- use closed headphones to block out the natural vibration. Again, not conclusive but can be highly indicative.

- make a recording of the sound direct to your DAW - not through a mic'd amp. The natural string vibration is not passed to the JTV outputs and hence cannot be recorded.

The third method is the most reliable because it is conclusive. If you don't hear the dissonance in the playback of the recording, then what you are hearing, as surprising as it may be, is the natural acoustic pitch of the standard-tuned string(s).

This was the first step I was trying out last week  ;)  No, I dont hear it acoustically (closed phones) and it is noticable in a DI-track as well.

Thanks for the fast reply  :)

Usually when people report hearing this it ends up simply being the natural resonance of the standard-tuned string that they are hearing, which creates dissonance with the alternate tuning. The human ear can pick up the natural note/pitch at surprisingly low volumes relative to the amplified sound of the alternate tuning. Note that the natural string vibration is only a couple of feet from your ears, while you amp/speakers are relatively much further away.

There are three ways to test for this:

- turn your amp/speakers up VERY loud to completely mask the natural vibration;

- use closed headphones to block out the natural vibration; or

- (most reliable) make a recording of the sound direct to your DAW - not through a mic'd amp. The natural string vibration is not passed to the JTV outputs and hence cannot be in the recording.

The third method is the most reliable because it is conclusive. If you don't hear the dissonance in the playback of the recording, then what you are hearing, as surprising as it may be, is the natural acoustic pitch of the standard-tuned string(s).

I was looking around the forum trying to find more info, resources, and opinions on the "Ghost Note" issue we've been discussing. In another thread I saw a reference to a procedure to reset one or all of the alternate tunings on a variax. This is out of Rev.E of the Variax Pilots guide (2013). It sounded like it might be a good way to eliminate possible problems with the alternate tunings.

The procedure in the guide is:

To Reset one or all of the Alternate Tuning presets:
First, set the Pickup Selector Switch to it’s middle position, then press
and hold the Guitar Model Selector knob while you plug in a 1/4†cable to
power up the guitar. Your Guitar Model Selector LED and Alternate Tuning
LED will both flash red. Switch the Alternate Tuning knob/roller to any
new position - the Guitar Model Selector knob will no longer be lit. To restore
all Alternate Tunings, now select MODEL on the Alternate Tuning knob. To
restore only 1 preset, select the desired tuning on the Alternate Tuning knob.
Once you’ve made your selection, press and hold the Guitar Model Selector
knob. Guitar Model Selector knob will flash red, rapidly 3 times, indicating
all 10 Alternate Tunings or 1 selected Alternate Tuning are now restored to
factory settings. Guitar will now return to normal operation.

I tried doing this several times, but absolutely nothing happens. No lights flash or even light up. I believe I was doing the procedure exactly as stated. Is this procedure obsolete? Should my Variax respond to this? Has anyone successfully done this?

I was looking around the forum trying to find more info, resources, and opinions on the "Ghost Note" issue we've been discussing. In another thread I saw a reference to a procedure to reset one or all of the alternate tunings on a variax. This is out of Rev.E of the Variax Pilots guide (2013). It sounded like it might be a good way to eliminate possible problems with the alternate tunings.

The procedure in the guide is:

To Reset one or all of the Alternate Tuning presets:

First, set the Pickup Selector Switch to it’s middle position, then press

and hold the Guitar Model Selector knob while you plug in a 1/4†cable to

power up the guitar. Your Guitar Model Selector LED and Alternate Tuning

LED will both flash red. Switch the Alternate Tuning knob/roller to any

new position - the Guitar Model Selector knob will no longer be lit. To restore

all Alternate Tunings, now select MODEL on the Alternate Tuning knob. To

restore only 1 preset, select the desired tuning on the Alternate Tuning knob.

Once you’ve made your selection, press and hold the Guitar Model Selector

knob. Guitar Model Selector knob will flash red, rapidly 3 times, indicating

all 10 Alternate Tunings or 1 selected Alternate Tuning are now restored to

factory settings. Guitar will now return to normal operation.

I tried doing this several times, but absolutely nothing happens. No lights flash or even light up. I believe I was doing the procedure exactly as stated. Is this procedure obsolete? Should my Variax respond to this? Has anyone successfully done this?

I was on the phone with Hugo at Line 6 Tech support last evening. He said the above procedure stopped working after the 1.8 firmware update. He said the manuals have been rewritten to reflect that, but the old manual is still being distributed with guitars that are in the supply chain. So to repeat, the above procedure no longer works on guitars with recent firmware updates. All resets must be done through the Workbench.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply.

I was beginning to think my Variax was deffective (still not positive it isn't). I tried reloading (re-flashing) current firmware but still the same. I've listened through headphones, and on some altered tunings, it sounds OK, on others not so good. I haven't recorded to a DAW yet, so that will be next. Also maybe re-flashing to a previous version. I may have to open up a support ticket if I find the DAW test confirms what I am hearing through headphones.

This is my first post in this forums - I never had any problems with my variax, but last week it started to drive me crazy...

I have a JTV-89 with fixed bridge, purchased December 2011 and I really love this Guitar, but since I started to try different tunings naturally (not modeled within the variax) the sound got terrible. .

what do you think about this point? Do you others that have the same probs play in different tunings or with different string gauges?

Usually when people report hearing this it ends up simply being the natural resonance of the standard-tuned string that they are hearing

This problem has been documented here: http://line6.com/support/topic/2087-please-try-this-little-experiment/

Line 6 has said they are working on it.

I have always tuned my Variaxes and JTV down to DGCFAD and never experienced this problem until I installed the 2.0 firmware. I believe anyone with 2.0 firmware will experience this problem when downtuning the guitar - there is a simple test devised by McLeninson, select Chime 2 Rickenbacker 12 string and:

"1) Tune your "D" string down to a "C" (no need to tune down other strings)

2) Pluck the second fret of the "D" string and immediately pluck the "D" string open

pluck other frets on the "D" string, then open for different pitch clashes"

Update on my Ghost Notes with Alt. Tunings.

I had a good conversation with Hugo from Line 6 last night. He was responsive, and listened to the recording I posted on SoundCloud. He acknowledged that there was a definite problem. He suggested that I reflash the guitar with the 2.0 Firmware twice in a row. Each time being careful to choose NOT to keep the current patches when it asks. I did that. No change in my problem.

I also went back to the previous Firmware, installed that, then upgraded twice to the 2.0 firmware. No fix.

I have updated my support ticket and Hugo has said he will "take this on". I will keep you updated as I work with him to find a fix. I will also encourage him to do a post about it here on the forum when a solution is found. That way everyone will be getting it "straight from the horses mouth".

sounds like you are probably in the studio out mode...

feeding that into a guitar amp usually sounds horrible...

(because it has all the mic emulations etc that you'd usually feed to a PA)

I've done some additional tests.

When I hook the guitar into a Boss BR800 and play through a house amp it sounds much much better. When recorded and played back it sounds fine.

When I go through an amp (DT25) it sounds horrible.

sounds like you are probably in the studio out mode...

feeding that into a guitar amp usually sounds horrible...

(because it has all the mic emulations etc that you'd usually feed to a PA)

My HD500 has a studio out and live mode.

Are you saying the Variax has a studio out mode? If so how do I control it?

I'm having the same "ghost note" problem on my Korean JTV-59 with FW 2.0.

The altered tunings worked correctly when I got the guitar with FW 1.8. They still worked correctly after I applied the FW 2.0 update.

Then I edited one of the tunings, per the procedure in the manual, and saved it to the guitar.

Now, all of the tunings (including factory ones that I didn't change) pass both the altered pitch and the natural string pitch. Essentially, changing one tuning broke all of them. This occurs on all guitar models.

Here's an example of what happens:

1. I select a tuning that lowers the 1st (high E) string to D (e.g., BLUES G).
  2. When I pluck the string, I hear both D (the altered pitch) and E (the actual string pitch) in the headphones or amplifier.
  3. If I go into Workbench HD and lower the volume of the 1st string in the tuning window, both notes decrease in volume.
  4. It's hard to tell for sure, but it sounds like both notes are being processed by the guitar model.

The 1st string in the procedure above is just an example.

• The problem happens on any string that is altered by a tuning, on any guitar model.
  • It occurs regardless of whether the guitar is connected to the computer.
  • POD presets are not a factor. I do not own a POD with a Variax port. I'm using the USB to MIDI adapter that came with the guitar.
  • The mag pickups are not mixed in.
  • I am not hearing the strings vibrating on the guitar.

The altered tunings are no longer suppressing the actual string pitch.

I hope they find a fix for this soon. The tuning function is one of the main reasons that I bought the Variax.

-Rob

This exactly describes it!

btw my support ticket disappeared, it was not answered or closed, it just disappeared  :huh:

The altered tunings worked correctly when I got the guitar with FW 1.8. They still worked correctly after I applied the FW 2.0 update.

Then I edited one of the tunings, per the procedure in the manual, and saved it to the guitar.

Now, all of the tunings (including factory ones that I didn't change) pass both the altered pitch and the natural string pitch. Essentially, changing one tuning broke all of them. This occurs on all guitar models.

2. When I pluck the string, I hear both D (the altered pitch) and E (the actual string pitch) in the headphones or amplifier.
  3. If I go into Workbench HD and lower the volume of the 1st string in the tuning window, both notes decrease in volume.
  4. It's hard to tell for sure, but it sounds like both notes are being processed by the guitar model.

• The problem happens on any string that is altered by a tuning, on any guitar model.
  • POD presets are not a factor. I do not own a POD with a Variax port. I'm using the USB to MIDI adapter that came with the guitar.

I hope they find a fix for this soon. The tuning function is one of the main reasons that I bought the Variax.

-Rob

Rob - I encourage you to take your entire post above, copy it and paste it into a new Support Ticket. Then call Line 6 support - wait if you have to. Then ask for Hugo. He is attempting to solve this for me. The more input he has the better. Your description of this is good!

This exactly describes it!

btw my support ticket disappeared, it was not answered or closed, it just disappeared  :huh:

I would call them. Maybe put in a new support ticket. I know if they do not have activity for some time, they are deleted. This quote is from their site. "Tickets that are 'assumed answered' or 'waiting on customer' will automatically close eventually unless you respond to them."

-Rob

One of the things I am concerned about is that I just bought a JTV-69 from Sweetwater. They have a 30 day "hassle free" return policy. If Line 6 takes their sweet time to address this question, and does not fix it,and I can not return the guitar to Sweetwater - I will not be a happy camper! They have to know this is a real problem. To be honest, the alternate tunings, and to a lesser degree, the models are why I bought this guitar. If these features are "flakey", then the guitar with just the magnetic pickups are, IMHO, not worth the $1,400 price tag. Oh well, enough a rant. I will just keep a positive attitude about it. I have found Hugo, in Line 6 support, has been very good so far.

• Upvote 2

Rob - I encourage you to take your entire post above, copy it and paste it into a new Support Ticket. Then call Line 6 support - wait if you have to. Then ask for Hugo. He is attempting to solve this for me. The more input he has the better. Your description of this is good!

Ticket created. I'll try to call them next week. I'll be out of town for part of the week, so I might not be able to follow up right away.

-Rob

For what it's worth, I don't think this issue is a bug in the sense that it's something inherent to the firmware. I double-checked mine today using the 1/4" out and the VDI connection, and I heard no ghost notes when in alternate tunings.

One thing to double-check if using the VDI connection is to make sure that the inputs to your tone are not set to Variax Mags anywhere. Other than that, this did happen to a few people with older firmware, too. I suspect you may need to try re-installing the firmware a few times. It would probably be good to roll back to an earlier version and then re-install 2.0.

For what it's worth, I don't think this issue is a bug in the sense that it's something inherent to the firmware. I double-checked mine today using the 1/4" out and the VDI connection, and I heard no ghost notes when in alternate tunings.

One thing to double-check if using the VDI connection is to make sure that the inputs to your tone are not set to Variax Mags anywhere. Other than that, this did happen to a few people with older firmware, too. I suspect you may need to try re-installing the firmware a few times. It would probably be good to roll back to an earlier version and then re-install 2.0.

I beg to disagree, at least with my guitar. Today, I went back and flashed the guitar with Firmware Version 1.70. Checked and recorded all the open strings with just the magnetic pickups. That always sounds perfect, so I'm going to not include it. Then, I put it in piezo mode, tuning wheel set to "Standard" tuning. All strings sounded fine. Went then to DADGAD, Blues G, Open A. (just 3 of the now reset factory alt. tunings) All of the alternate tunings but "Standard" has screwy ghost notes on some strings.

The same was exactly true when I then flashed it up to 1.81, then 2.0. I even did 2.0 twice in a row as recommended by a tech at Line 6. 

My thinking is that if it were a bad piezo pickup, the Standard alt. tuning setting would also display bad overtones. Also, the overtones would be consistently bad on the same strings. This does not happen.

My guess is that it is probably a bad cpu board. If it was just the software (firmware) then all JTV users would be experiencing the same problems. This does not seem to be true. So, I could be totally full of s**t, but that's my current view. I do so hope Line 6 has their best minds working overtime on this. I want this guitar to work the way it was intended to!!

I beg to disagree, at least with my guitar.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand... Beg to disagree with what?

All I was saying is that it doesn't seem to be an issue that's a bug in the firmware in that it's happening to everyone. I'm not saying that what you're experiencing isn't an issue. It certainly is. It just seems like it's something may need to be dealt with in the way of a trip to a service center.

I did not mean to be dis-agreeable! I guess I was responding to the last part of your statement that had to do with fixing it by reinstalling the firmware, or rolling it back. I have not seen that work on my guitar, and have heard that it did not work for some other folks. Let's just hope it's fixed soon. Thanks for your understanding. My brain is a bit fuzzy, as it's late where I am. I should only type these when I have my full faculties available!

As I don't mess around much with alt tunings I didn't think much about this issue... Hell, I have a hard enough time playing my guitar in standard tuning... lol. But I just tried mine out and... bam, there it is. My high e string and b string are the ones I mainly hear it on... I'm going to put a ticket in myself.

I've done more experimenting. I can hear it very pronounced through the DT25. I hear it less when I play through a Fender Twin.

I've tried recording it (with a microphone) and when I play it back I can't hear it.

It is worse on strings 1-3 than 4-6.

I go back and forth on if this is a HW issue or a SW problem.

Guitar sounds fine in normal mode, so unless there is a problem with one of the analog front end filters or a bad ground I'm not convinced it's the HW.

The sound appears to be the original (normal mode) tone mixed with the alternate tone. If I get time I might try running a spectrum analyzer to see what frequencies we're getting.

Okay... I recorded it and very, very much to my surprise, the ghost note that I WAS hearing totally disappeared in the recording. This means, as the Realzap has stated before, that the 'ghost' note is coming acoustically from the guitar to my ears and NOT thru my keyboard amp. I am astonished! The natural resonance in the actual guitar pushes the note that pronounced to my ears! :o 

I've done more experimenting. I can hear it very pronounced through the DT25. I hear it less when I play through a Fender Twin.

I've tried recording it (with a microphone) and when I play it back I can't hear it.

It is worse on strings 1-3 than 4-6.

I go back and forth on if this is a HW issue or a SW problem.

Guitar sounds fine in normal mode, so unless there is a problem with one of the analog front end filters or a bad ground I'm not convinced it's the HW.

The sound appears to be the original (normal mode) tone mixed with the alternate tone. If I get time I might try running a spectrum analyzer to see what frequencies we're getting.

Please run the spectrum analysis!! This would be helpful to Line 6 also. I'm sure they have the equipment in house, but still. It's more proof that there is a real issue.

Okay... I recorded it and very, very much to my surprise, the ghost note that I WAS hearing totally disappeared in the recording. This means, as the Realzap has stated before, that the 'ghost' note is coming acoustically from the guitar to my ears and NOT thru my keyboard amp. I am astonished! The natural resonance in the actual guitar pushes the note that pronounced to my ears! :o 

Oh, that is so strange. I recorded the guitar through a digital interface (Apogee Jam) directly into Garageband. The ghost sounds are loud and clear. This is using no magnetic pickups at all. What a mystery!! We might have to acknowledge that there is more than one phenomenon happening.

• Upvote 1

have someone else pluck the note while you are a distance away and just listening to the speaker. Also try the headphone idea.

It's entirely possible that he just isn't having this problem...

I don't have it... but i do believe that others do...

i tend to think that the update reveals faults in the internals, because it's utilizing more resources...

my unfounded, unscientific, and pure guess.. is that this will ultimately prove to be a hardware issue affecting some but not all.

there are always going to be those that pickup on the real vibrations vs the modeled tunings...

that's why people suggest doing a direct recording to eliminate that possibility.

I had ghost note before when i was in the 1.7 when i turned the amp. up they went away now when i upgraded to the hd2 i hear ghost note on the high e string in all alt. tunings and i cant get rid of it no matter how loud the amp. is.Should i reflash the hd2 or wait and see if L6 can fix the problem. thanks cal.

I think most people are hearing the sounds of the actual strings, which are surprising loud for an electric guitar, but some are obviously having a genuine problem if it can still be heard in a direct recording.  There have been times I'd swear I hear ghost notes with my JTV59 but I haven't bothered to record it, other times I'm sure it IS the acoustic sound of the strings.  I will say my JTV59 seems way more resonate (I can hear the strings above the amp) than either my Gibson SG, or Variax 700.

Dan