Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Squeaking Expression Pedal

porky_pie

When using my expression pedal, it always squeaks whenever I use it.  Loudly.  Not such a problem just using it for swells, but if I'm using it as a wah, my God.  I could kill on that sound.

Fixing it to my mind should be easy, simply undo the bolt and WD40 it carefully, but I just want to make sure that doing this isn't going to damage the helix in any way...  Any advice?

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant in any way, shape, or form.  The name stands for Water Displacement formula 40.  It's basically more solvent than anything else.

I don't believe that it is the case. It is a water displacement formula but it also does seem to have some lubricant qualities, at least according to Wikipedia. Quote: "<25% petroleum base oil. Presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.". My experience has definitely been that it has lubricating qualities although perhaps as you say it has some solvent agent as well. I am definitely not saying it is safe for the Helix. I have no idea if it is or not.

I don't believe that it is the case. It is a water displacement formula but it also does seem to have some lubricant qualities, at least according to Wikipedia. Quote: "<25% petroleum base oil. Presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.". My experience has definitely been that it has lubricating qualities although perhaps as you say it has some solvent agent as well. I am definitely not saying it is safe for the Helix. I have no idea if it is or not.

Yes, it does have a slight lubricating quality to it, but the viscosity is so light that it's not going to last nearly as long as an actual lubricant.  Plus, it's petroleum based, so it can have a damaging effect on plastic.  Basically, it's not the most ideal thing to use for this application.