Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax a/b switch pedal?

Hey there, I have my 2nd Variax on its way. I'd like to have both Variax guitars cabled up to my hd500x using Variax cables and at the ready for live shows. Perhaps an RJ45 splitter pedal? Not possible perhaps? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I think it MIGHT be possible, but definitely a lot more to it than your typical A/B switch. The main reason is that the RJ45 connector has 8 separate wires. I am not aware of an 8PDT stomp-style switch and have VERY serious doubts that such a switch exists. You would have to use a DPDT connected to a relay. This gets a bit complicated, as you would need to power that relay somehow. I suspect the whole thing would be more trouble and expense than it'd be worth. 

Alternately, you could just plug one Variax in through the VDI input and the other through the 1/4" guitar input. Then, set up duplicate patches on the HD500X, with one set using the VDI and the other set using the 1/4".

Ah, yeah, I see what you mean bwbatters; I'd have to build it. Really relying on the VDI exclusively now so want to stay with that instead of 1/4". Had to give up wireless; haven't been tethered for 20 years. Worth it though.

Interesting thought there brue58ski. Control the DT-50 amp with midi as well?

Might be too involved to go down this path I'm thinking, lol.... Thanks for the input guys!

• 1 month later...