Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What happens when I do this: one guitar into two parallel DSP paths?

ajfkeith

I'm curious what is actually happening if my Helix is set up with a single input (in my case Variax VDI) into a preset where both DSPs are configured to take input from this device in parallel (e.g both set to "Multi").  Let's say on Path 1 I use a clean amp and on path 2 a crunchy one.

Is this signal from the guitar shared/split in some way, or have I effectively created the equivalent of two identical guitars feeding two completely separate rigs?

I'm trying to understand if this is the same as splitting a single path (Y or X/Y split) or not?  Even if it is the same I suppose I could at least take advantage of additional DSP resources by using both inputs from the one source.

Thanks for the replies.

So is it fair to way there's no real difference between doing this and just using a Y Block on the Helix where one signal chain stays on Path 1A and the other (1B) is pushed to Path 2 at the output block?  Well...other than if I do the former I can use a gate on one path (fuzz) and no gate on the other (clean).

I made a patch where I have 3 different amps going into one cabinet, and can use all three at the same time, or any one or 2. Using multiple paths from one source gives you that kind of flexibility.

A clean and a dirty amp at the same time is kinda cool. Into the same cabinet is impossible in the real world, but possible with Helix.

• Upvote 1

I made a patch where I have 3 different amps going into one cabinet, and can use all three at the same time, or any one or 2. Using multiple paths from one source gives you that kind of flexibility.

A clean and a dirty amp at the same time is kinda cool. Into the same cabinet is impossible in the real world, but possible with Helix.

Super cool.  Thanks Peter.