Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

QSC K10?

FarleyUK

Hi all,

Thinking of getting one of these for the Helix to save lugging my valve amp to smaller gigs... are they good with the Helix? I see a few people have them, but I'd be very interested in your thoughts on if it's worth it (especially as it's considerably cheaper than a L2M).

Thanks!

When I got my Yamaha DXR 12 it was a toss-up between that and the QSC K12.  I went with the Yamaha simply because they were running a $100 rebate, but there's really very little difference at all between the two units.  The QSC is a bit more feature-rich and flexible in it's setup options though.  I'm pretty familiar with those options since they're the same setup options as we have on our QSC PA which is based on KLA-12 speakers.

One thing you'll have to consider if you've been using a valve amp is you may need to do some adjustments to your patches.  The response profile on these speakers will be MUCH heavier on the low end and high end than what you're used to on your valve amp just due to the nature of how FRFR differ from traditional amp speaker cabinets.  The easy way to handle this without too much bother is to use the Global EQ to Low-cut and High-cut the frequency response.  There will still be some differences in articulation and clarity over what you're used to on a traditional cabinet.  Personally I like this, but it bothers some people so you'll have to gauge this for yourself.

Due to the nature of how these speakers are built for projecting sound in comparison to traditional speakers, you may need to make some adjustments to how you position it on stage.  I place mine behind me about 5 feet in a traditional monitor setup so it allows the speaker and compression driver some space to blend.  Otherwise it can sound harsh to your ear.  These speakers weren't designed expecting it to be blasting into someone's ear right next to it.  But some folks set them up on low stands, so you may have to experiment with what works best for you.

They're also a lot more powerful at projecting sound than what you might think.  Because they're designed to project sound over long distances it may be deceiving to you if you're used to the volume levels you use on a traditional amp to fill the room.  A little bit goes a long way.

I think a lot of folks prefer the 10" because it's not so boomy as the 12".  The 12" works better for me because I use a Gretsch hollow body on a lot of songs that I finger pick, and I need the extra bass response.  It really depends on the style of music you play.  You can always dial out bass.  It's lot harder to dial in what's not there due to the speaker.

I use k8s to monitor and k12s for FOH. I cut the lows on the IR blocks at 90 and highs at 7k. Took a few weeks to adjust to the differences btw this and the tube amp. Playing on your own can sound a little harsh but in a band mix it's amazing!

I have my K8 monitor at my feet angled up, 1/4 inch out if helix into k8. We use another k8 for rest of mix via mixer. K12 s in front. Works fine, sometimes ill use mixer to bring in other sources depending on venue. I get a great selfish gobfull of heavenly helix all night long!

Cheers! Just so I'm sure, would you suggest setting the gain dial on the K10 to about half-way and just use the Helix volume dial to get the required output level?

I've got a pair of K10s.  I would start with the gain on them at about 9:00 and raise it from there if necessary.  They're small, but they are LOUD.  Also, you may want to make about a 3-5dB cut at around 250Hz (in the Helix) as they tend to be a tad boomy in that region.