Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Complete Stagescape Lost Of Control Twice During A Gig....

After about two hours of gig, the soundman lost all control of the stagescape. On the stagescape and with the ipad, all the commands became inactive. The only way to restart was to light off and restart! Not that easy during a live session ..' It happened twice last week How to avoid that ? Operating System: Windows 8 Product: StageScape M20d

The two issues occured when the stagescape was controlled by one or two ipads, but the wi-fi stayed connected.

Did anyone already had this bad experience. The soundman is a bit less positive about the LINE6

The display was still on, but all the command where inactive. (volume, and parameters control) 

I would add that this happened once whith the staescape controlling a HK system, and the second time with the stagescape linked to LINE L3t via EDU link cable.

Thank you for your help

So the issue, if I understand it correctly is just that you lost functionality on the iPad?  the stagescape M20d continued to function as did the speakers?  You just lost control from the app?  

If so that's no reason to lose positivity of Line 6.  I would have thought a sound man's first priority would be SOUND, not whether or not he can faithfully control the stagescape from his iPad.

What is he doing anyway that he has to continually fiddle with the controls all night.  I will admit that if you are maintaining wifi but losing functionality, it's an issue that needs to be addressed and Line 6 needs to know about it so that they can work to fix it.  But I don't know that many of us would run into that problem or notice it if we did.  Personally, I may use the ipad to go out front and do a virtual sound check.  And throughout the night, I may make an adjustment or two here and there, if things change as the room fills up with people.  But I'm on stage at that point and I just go straight to the M20d and do a quick tweak between songs.  I sure as heck wouldn't do a restart of the M20d during a set just so I can play with my iPad.  That would wait for a break.  If the sound needs to be adjusted that badly in the middle of a set, I would suggest the sound check never got completed, which of course can happen.  Sometimes, you don't even get a soundcheck.

Of course, I'm just throwing all that out there in good fun and out of curiousity.  Getting back to the real issue, is what may have caused it.  As I said anytime I mess with the ipad app, it's never for extended periods of time like that.  IF there is an issue it's in getting the two to connect in the first place, but once they're locked they are locked.  I had heard that an issue that can prevent the app from connecting to the M20d in the first place is if there is another wifi network going on in the background.  I wonder if it's possible that another wifi network could cause problems even after your made a connection with the network you are using to link the ipad to the M20d.  Although if it took a restart of the M20d to fix I don't know that this would make sense.  Unless of course you didn't try just turning the wifi on the ipad off for a bit and then turning it back on.  I don't mean just closing the app and re-opening, I mean going into settings and turing wifi off then turning it back on and choosing your network again.  Turning the M20d off and on would essentially do a similar thing as it would remove the network for the ipad and then allow it access again.  Not identical, but close enough that it could resolve the same issue.

If it is something like this, I don't think that there will be a fix via firmware or app updates.  It's just a fact of life. You may have to figure out a way to make a stronger wifi network to make the connection more stable.  It could be totally something else, I'm just thinking out loud here.

I'm curious ... in what manner was a Windows 8 product being connected to the system?

I also have the same question as litesnsirens ... did the mixer stop responding to physical commands or did you just lose iPad connectivity?

Wi-Fi stability from a dongle USB transmitter to an iPad is greatly affected by local conditions.  Often it can be a simple line-of-sight issue if your mixer is on a tabletop it's probably at waist height relative to your audience.  The more bodies you get in the way, the less reliability you have (and you lose range).You could use a simple USB extension cable (keep it less than 6 feet) and raise the dongle up in the air.  Just don't tape it to a metal mic stand :)    In any event I wouldn't be comfortable using a dongle to iPad at more than 50 feet.  

External routers are generally much more powerful and can often use external antennas to also make this job easier.  You can use a USB to ethernet cable and most routers, but I highly recommend running the router at 802.11N and on 5G service only (turn the 2.4G off).  Ipads running at 2.4G are susceptible to interference from your audience's cell phones.

If the mixer itself is locking up you could have a hardware problem that needs service or it could be as simple as you just happened to get a  momentary bad power glitch from the wall.  I can't tell without testing the mixer itself.  If this happens a lot then I would tend to think hardware problem and if in doesn't then I would suspect bad power.  I also wouldn't rule out overheating as a possible cause.

One way to pretty much stabilize power from most possible problems would be to get a small UPS power supply that included battery backup.  Even a small one would give you a few minutes of battery backup to protect against momentary blackouts.

Thank you all for your reply and excuse me for my "scholar" english, cause I'm french... Nobody's perfect ;=}

I would add some details about the issue. First , I would precise that indeed, when I say "lost of control" that means that the commands buttons where inactive but the sound and power was still on. The audience didn't notice the problem, neither did the musicians on stage, it was only the soundman who was "fired" by the system. For sure, this soundman does his duty as a professional and tru to adjust and control the sound all along the session.

One may be important thing is that yesterday we had another three hours gig, and no trouble happened. One possibly significant difference is that , when we had the trouble, the record session was ON and yesterday it waś´nt. I cross my fingers because tomorrow I will use the M20d for a long gig (5 hours) and we will record it . I will come back the the forum site and give some (good?) feedback.

We recommend to record to an SD card. This way you do not have to bring a computer and the M20d is slightly more responsive compared to recording USB- to- computer. On a 32GB SD card you can record 4 hours of multitrack in two max. 2 hour sessions. Or you can record to an USB hard drive. When connecting a large USB hard drive the M20d takes a moment to scan the drive at first.

If you experience any problems please contact our customer service and we will resolve it.

The US support team can be reached at 818-575-3600 (option 3), Mon-Fri 8am - 5 pm PST. Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

The UK support team can be reached at +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT.

Merci beaucoup!

My long gig on saturday evening is over. The M20d used as an auxiliairy mixer linked to a 01V worked properly the time requirrd to fill the 32 Go SD card. This is nice, but doesńt help to underdtand the defaults I got twice the week before. As anyone an advice to proceed to another test to investigate the default source? about the

Today I checked the results of the record session , then I was disappointed : The recording of the output mix is OK but requires some balance and effects updates. The wave files for input 1 to 8 are OK, BUT the record files for 9 to 15 are not audible, there is a loudy pink noise which is louder than the signal of the instrument !!! The same trouble is occuring on the differents session of the recording, with different set ups. Can you help me to understand and fix the problem. The firmware version is 1.1. It is a trouble related to the mixer, not to the connections because the mix output recording is OK.
Thank for your help