Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Random clicking coming from Sonic Port

indextwo

I purchased a new Sonic Port from Amazon yesterday, and started using it straight away with GarageBand on my iPhone 6s (running iOS 10.1.1). No connection issues and everything seemed to work great... but then, when listening back, I noticed that there were random clicks every so often. Initially I thought it might be clipping, but the input volume was pretty low and the waveform was nowhere near clipping levels. This was using a stereo out from my electro-acoustic drum brain.

Then, this morning, I tried recording some bass guitar - totally different set of cables - the only common components were the Sonic Port and my iPhone. I noticed the clicking (which sounds very much like clipping) almost immediately. And most noteworthy of all is that the clicking was happening when there was no sound coming from my instrument - it was just plugged into the preamp, but the pickup volume was all the way down, so it definitely wasn't clipping.

As far as I can see it, there are only two possibilities: it's either the Sonic Port, or it's GarageBand (or, by extension, an issue with iOS 10 and the audio interface with GarageBand).

has anyone else had this issue? Should I return it?

Okay, having spoken to a very knowledgeable audio engineer friend, my best guess is this:

The Sonic Port outputs at 24bit/48khz, which is the native frequency in the latest iOS models. However, from everything that I've read, it appears that iOS GarageBand's frequency is fixed at 44.1khz, and the 'forced line-up' of the two mismatched frequencies is causing these static pops. It seems to get worse the longer the app is open too (although this might be a coincidence).

It's worth noting that I've found someone else complaining about exactly the same issue (Sonic Port + GarageBand) on an Amazon review: https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/Tx11NLWK261AISV/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B00CS4L7DK

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same problem here after updating to iPhone 7. And it's not Garage Band, as I am not using it. I am using it with... Mobile Pod from Line 6.

Already sold big PODs. Still have two varian guitars, but already rebuilt, so I am almost not using Variax anymore (pity, for time I loved it). Now - I am convinced to go to the nearest store and just buy IK Multimedia iRig HD 2 (have HD, never had any problems, and sounds very nicely with Amplitube).

@firstmiro does the iRig HD 2 accept stereo input? That was the big requirement for me, as the Sonic Port has a 1/8" stereo jack in (along with the Lightning out for Core Audio stereo), and it didn't look to me like any of the iRig stuff had the same feature.

As an update to this whole thing: I opened a support ticket with Line 6, who mostly just suggested trying different cables. I tried a LOT of different cables and connections, but nothing solved the issue. HOWEVER, I did try the Sonic Port with an iPad Mini 4 that I have available to me, and I got none of the same issues. Line 6 insist they tested it with the iPhone 6s and got none of the same issues.

My best guess at this point is that it actually may be something to do with the passive power consumption of the Sonic Port. As it happens, my phone is also eligible for a free replacement battery, so I might get that replaced (because it's free) and see if it makes a difference.

I tried it on my old iPad 2, interesting, no pops or clicks for me then. Im using Sonic Port and the Mobile Pod app. But Ive tried a variety of guitars, cables, and headphone combos with the Sonic Port on my iPhone 6s and Mobile Pod app, as well as Garage Band and it definitely had some issue going on with random popping sounds.

Too bad but I feel I may return the Sonic Port and try one of the options which plugs into the headphone jack vice the lightning port. I use this mostly for in hotel rooms while on the road for work, dont want to listen to those random pops. Its really a shame because I absolutely fell in love with the variety of tones in the Mobile Pod app.

Hopefully someone has some advice on this.

I had the same issue on my iPhone SE but only with headphones with microphone. 

When I use headphones without microphone random clicking gone :-)

The problem not exists on 30 pin connections (iPad2 or iPhone 4s).

This is problem on lightning hardware. 

Edit:

The problem exists on some iPhones.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Is Line 6 going to chime in on this? It is rendering my Sonicport VX useless for any sort of live IOS use through the lightning cable. I really wanted to use the VX and my Iphone 7 to run Amplitude but these random pops are almost gear damaging loud.

Any comments? 

I would suspect not: I had a ticket open with Line6 for a while about this issue, going back and forth about this issue repeatedly. Their response was basically "we can't recreate this, and if we had, we never would have released it. It's a problem with your iOS device."

Now, what's interesting is that:

1) According to Apple, my iPhone 6s is eligible for a battery replacement - there were a batch of iPhones that had 'explodey' batteries. Technically I don't think mine was in that batch, but it is eligible for replacement 'just to be safe';

2) I've also used my SonicPort on an iPad Mini 4. Technically I think it's virtually the same spec (in fact, I suspect the iPad has a lower-rent processor), but I haven't suffered from the popping on the iPad. However, my experience with it has been limited.

This leads me to suspect that it may actually be device-related, but whether that's down to hardware or some software configuration, it's impossible to say from a layman's perspective.

Considering that a number of people have come forward about this exact same issue via a number of different avenues, it seems kinda poor form on Line6's part to not address it, or even acknowledge that it exists.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, I just bought a brand-new Sonic Port and I also have this annoying (and very loud) random click sound. I am using an Apple iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.3.. I also created a support ticket but my experience with the Line 6 support is not the best in the past. Did somebody find a solution for this problem already?

THANKS

Unfortunately, there's been no update. I still have my iPhone 6s running iOS 10.3.3 and used my SonicPort as recently as a week ago, and I still suffer the exact same issue. No update from Line6, and no solution in sight. I never got my battery upgraded, but the fact that people are reporting the issue occurring with brand new iPhone 7 devices leads me to suspect that a replacement battery will not solve it.

I was also considering upgrading to the SonicPort VX, but since people are reporting the exact same issue with that, I don't think I'll bother.

Perhaps we should turn this thread into suggestions for other devices? The main reason I got a SonicPort was for the stereo channel input via the Lightning cable, as I absolutely required stereo. Anyone know of an alternative?

• Upvote 1

I just got an reply from Line 6 German Support: it is an issue with the class compliant driver in iOS 10.3.3. and iPhone 7/7plus only. It is already with Apple to be fixed in one of the next releases. Nobody knows, when this will be due... But this answer doesn't match with all the other previous postings...

I just got an reply from Line 6 German Support: it is an issue with the class compliant driver in iOS 10.3.3. and iPhone 7/7plus only...

That's very interesting, because exactly as you say: that doesn't line up with what we've experienced. I've had this issue with the SonicPort since day 1 when using it with my iPhone 6s, and initially the only other post I could find about it was an Amazon review (https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/-/Tx11NLWK261AISV/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B00CS4L7DK) which was posted 3 months before the iPhone 7 was released. So it's definitely not iPhone 7 only.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I am using Sonic Port VX, with my iPhone7.  This issue is very annoying.... However, I don't experience this same thing when using with iPad Air (first edition).... 

Recently updated my iPhone7 to 11.0.3, seems the issue is getting resolved.  I am plugging my PC to Port VX as input, then connect to my iPhone7, while use headphone out to an external speaker.  Playing music in PC for ~10mins, only heard 1 clicking (not sure if that's from the music itself =P).

For those who have this issue, you may try updating to the latest iOS.

• 4 months later...

I've got a Sonic Port and an iPhone 6s and I've also got "The Click" but the recordings in Garageband seem to be fine. For me "the click" seems to be in the headphones since that's all I used so far.

Did I miss any fixes for this or is Apple "Still working on fixing it".

18 hours ago, Brazzy said:

Did I miss any fixes for this or is Apple "Still working on fixing it".

This still appears to be an issue. Running on my iPhone 6s with the latest version of iOS (v 11.2.6 at time of writing), I still get random clicks. I only ever record into GarageBand, and the clicks are loud and present in the recording.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And here, too.

I was using Sonic Port VX with my iPhone 6 Plus, and everything was just fine with iOS 9 and iOS 11. Then recently I replaced it with a new iPad 9.7 (the cheaper 2018 model running the latest version of iOS), and I get the random clicks and pops. It's very irritating, but at least it doesn't seem to show up in recordings.) 

I've tried ram flushes, restarts, airplane mode, and also charging at the same time (and this only works depended on which micro USB cable I connect to the iPad's charger.) The ram flush and simultaneous charging seems to mitigate the problem, but not totally eliminate it. I think that letting the app run in the background, and putting the display to sleep helps, too. Conversely, making adjustments to the app (Tonestack, lower latency that Mobile Pod. Sorry.) seems to cause the snap/crackle/pop. And yes, I did try increasing the buffer size as is recommended in the event of clicking/popping, but this just increases latency without solving the issue. 

Incidentally, this never seems to happen when I'm watching Nutlix on my iPad, but it did happen with iTunes. So the problem is the interface, rather than the app.

Apple support said they're not aware of the issue,  and "it must be a new thing."

Their recommended solution? Bring my iPad to the Apple store to see if it's defective. 

My expensive solution? Try another audio interface that rhymes with sky pig rage free, too. I really didn't want another interface, but then again I didn't want the clicks and pops even more.

The irony is that I never considered using a modeling app until I got the Sonic Port VX/Mobile Pod, but now I can't use it for that purpose anymore. I'd still prefer to if the issue can be fixed.   

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've started using my sonic port with my iPhone (with latest IOS) again and even though I get an occasional click It's not coming through on the Garageband rendered recording. I went into 'song settings' in GB, went down to 'advanced' and switched '24 Bit Audio Resolution' to 'on'. Not sure if it helped the occasional click though.

I monitored with 32 ohm headphones from the sonic port but one time had the headphones plugged into the iPhone jack. Can't remember if the click was better or gone.

I wish I didn't hear any clicks at all.

I recorded the following using my guitar into HD500 > Sonic Port > Garageband. Then I used Audacity to adjust the volume level.

https://soundcloud.com/reeleeze/countryside

Also:

https://soundcloud.com/reeleeze/low

This one I plugged the guitar into the sonic port and used Mobile In amp models.

https://soundcloud.com/reeleeze/early-morning-blues

I suspect that the proximity of an iPhone or iPad with LTE capability is interfering with the Sonic Port and your amplifier. I solved this problem with moving my iPhone away from my guitar amplifier, or using an iPad without LTE.

6 hours ago, bwthjtl said:

I solved this problem with moving my iPhone away from my guitar amplifier, or using an iPad without LTE.

It’s great that worked for you; however I’ve never used an amplifier. With drums, I’m going straight from a drum brain directly into the SonicPort, and when recording a guitar (or bass), I go directly from the instrument into the SonicPort.

It does raise an interesting point though - as the iPad where I don’t get the random clicks doesn’t have a SIM (and so, no mobile data). Maybe instead of interfering with the amp, it’s with the SonicPort directly?

On 7/18/2018 at 5:41 PM, indextwo said:

It does raise an interesting point though - as the iPad where I don’t get the random clicks doesn’t have a SIM (and so, no mobile data). 

I don't think the problem I am experiencing is RF interference. I have heard alien digital noises from my device when in close proximity to the amp and pickups. However that's RF noise getting picked up by the pickup and transformer coils. The clicking I'm suffering is a definitely a digital glitch. 

I DO get the clicks with an 2018 iPad 9.7 WI-FI model (no SIM/cellular). Besides I already tried airplane mode to fix the problem with no satisfactory result.  My iPhone 6 Plus never clicked.

So my best guess at this point is the problem is the newer processors or iOS versions. The iPhone 6 Plus uses an A8 processor. The latest iPad uses an A10 which was great attack fighter but maybe not such a great chip. We might assume newer means better, but my experience with Apple has shown me that

Apple giveth and Apple taketh away. (When a company uses a bitten apple as its logo, we can expect some hubris from them.)

I hope I'm wrong about this though, and very hopeful that the latest iOS update (11.4.1) may fix the problem because the iRig HD 2 I bought to replace it seems to have inferior latency to the Sonic Port VX. Unfortunately a friend is borrowing my Sonic Port VX now so I can't test it this.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Looselectron said:

I DO get the clicks with an 2018 iPad 9.7 WI-FI model (no SIM/cellular). Besides I already tried airplane mode to fix the problem with no satisfactory result.  My iPhone 6 Plus never clicked.

Welp, that sucks. I held out a little bit of hope there.

The iPhone 6 Plus uses an A8 processor. The latest iPad uses an A10 which was great attack fighter but maybe not such a great chip.

I think you're onto something there, too. I somehow missed the post from bether in February 2017:

On 2/5/2017 at 7:26 AM, bether said:

I had an iPhone 6S, which had an A9 processor, and I've had the phantom clicks since day one. However, on my iPad Mini 4, which has an A8X - no clicks, ever.

For those who can't/won't read the PDF, the relevant part is this:

"The [newer iPhone] occasionally fails to send all of the audio data it should, to the plugged-in USB audio device. This causes (quasi) periodic clicks and dropouts in the audio and then the audio may stop, altogether."

This is by a manufacturer of a completely different product, but describes the exact same issue, so it does definitely seem like an Apple issue rather than a Line6 one. The issue was also first picked up by Silicon Labs and submitted to Apple as a bug, so there's a pretty strong reason to point at Apple being the issue.

Now, the interesting bit is kind of related to one of the very first posts I made - that it may be related to the downsampling/bitrate mismatch from 48kHz to 44.1kHz. As the PDF notes, all iOS video audio is at 48kHz, so I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to somehow use that to video yourself playing to get the audio you need. The best pseudo-idea I have is:

• You need 2 devices and a mixer. And some time.
  • Plug one device with your DAW/multitrack/play-along track into your mixer, and have some headphones out for you to play along with;
  • Plug your guitar/bass/vox/drum output into the Sonic Port;
  • Plug your Sonic Port lightning cable into your second device, on which you're going to film yourself playing;
  • Run a headphone out from your Sonic Port into your mixer, so you can hear what you're playing, along with the rest of your track;
  • Hit record on your video, then hit play on your backing track, and play along.

What you should end up with is a video with your solo track on it. You can then import the audio from that video and line it up in your DAW (although you will have to do that manually).

it is the hackiest hack, but theoretically it should allow you to record via the Sonic Port without any more random pops & clicks (probably).

• Upvote 2

Hello again. I regret to report that even after updating to the latest version iOS (11.4.1), I still heard the offending click/pop almost immediately upon starting Tonestack after connecting the Sonic Port VX...However I feel that it does have better latency and sound than the Sky Pig Rage Free Too audio interface I tried as an alternative solution.   

From here my options are to try another audio interface (like the Alesis Core 1), or give up on the new iPad in favor of an older tablet device that will work with the Sonic Port VX.  

Cool! How's the latency?

I didn't get any clicks/pops with the iRig HD 2, but it was noticeably longer than the Sonic Port VX with Tonestack (though not with Mobile Pod because it seems there's now way to do better than 2ms of latency...). This was my experience both using headphones and my Fostex monitors.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, Looselectron said:

Cool! How's the latency?

I didn't get any clicks/pops with the iRig HD 2, but it was noticeably longer than the Sonic Port VX with Tonestack (though not with Mobile Pod because it seems there's now way to do better than 2ms of latency...). This was my experience both using headphones and my Fostex monitors.

Sorry I thought I had good news but as I used the Mobile In again I noticed a fizz noise that seems to be like the click problem in respect to frequency. I can still record and render without the noise but it's as annoying as the first time.

As far as latency is concerned I felt it was pretty good.

Well I definitely do have some good news: The Presonus Audiobox iOne sounds as good if not better with my new iPad than the Sonic Port VX and the response feels even faster, too.

Even the guitar tone I got with the Direct switch was excellent.

All this with no clicks or pops!!! 

The only down side is that it needs to be connected to a charger at the same time to work, but doesn't actually charge the iPad at the same time. Then again, my new iPad won't charge with the Sonic Port either...

Interestingly, I've found that the three audio interfaces I've tried all have slightly different character. The iRig was darker (warmer, sweeter)  than the Sonic Port VX, but the AudioBox is much brighter, and I had to re-EQ all the amp models with it, but this is probably a good thing. The Sonic Port is more neutral compared to either of those. 

i have a sonic port vx and a ipad air2 and was quite happy with it using positive grids bias fx and many synth apps with no problems.

As i am going to use jam origin midiguitar, a genial guitar to midi converter, i realized that the air2 has to low cpu power(A8 processor). So i bought a brand new ipad 2018! This has more cpu power (A10 Processor), but always there are bad random clicks, so it’s useless for live guitar to midi converting. I also bought a used iphone 6s, and this has no clicks also(A9 Processor), but most of the synth and guitar apps i use are not available for it! I read, that the 6s exists with to different cpu manufactures, one is clicking, the other is not!

So my question: is there any firmware update for the sonic port vx or has apple a fix after ios 11.4.1 in the pipeline?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Looselectron said:

REALLY! I played for two hours in the park on Saturday and Sunday. No issues! 

I tried my Sonic Port with my iPhone 6s (iOS 12) again (been a little while) and I'm still getting random clicks. I was using Garageband and Mobile Pod "Inter app". I made sure the audio buffer size was 20ms to take some load off the CPU. I think it's a little too much for the chip in the phone to process. I'm no expert but I do have quite a bit of experience.

The recordings aren't in the rendered track though which is a plus but If I was monitoring with an amp or studio speakers the random clicks or noise produced with the phone will be heard. I wish the iPhone worked better cause I think the Mobile Pod and Garageband work pretty good together. If only that random noise wasn't there.