Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with Helix-M5 MIDI assignment

Stratotron

I have experimented with adding an M5 to FX loop 1 of my Helix, along with a MIDI cable. Works great. As I switch the Helix it switches the M5 to default the M5 presets. For instance, it appears that Patch 1A is preset 1 on M5, Patch 1B becomes preset 2 on M5, 1C becomes preset 3, and so on.

My question: I it possible to assign the M5 preset number to a specific Helix patch? Say I want M5 preset 8 to come up on Helix patch 1A?

For now, it is actually ok for the default presets as I can simply change the M5 effect preset to coincide with the Helix patch. 

Thanks all.

I have experimented with adding an M5 to FX loop 1 of my Helix, along with a MIDI cable. Works great. As I switch the Helix it switches the M5 to default the M5 presets. For instance, it appears that Patch 1A is preset 1 on M5, Patch 1B becomes preset 2 on M5, 1C becomes preset 3, and so on.

My question: I it possible to assign the M5 preset number to a specific Helix patch? Say I want M5 preset 8 to come up on Helix patch 1A?

For now, it is actually ok for the default presets as I can simply change the M5 effect preset to coincide with the Helix patch.

Thanks all.

Yeah that's possible. You just change the midi message associated with that patch. I would advise reading the manual because no matter how well I explain the process the Line 6 guys have already explained it better.

Ps. May I ask what you intend using the M5 for?

Sure, I am using the M5 because, the Helix doesn't have the Sweeper. I don't use it a lot, but there is a song we are doing in rotation now the has a bridge that cries out for the Sweeper. And while I was at it, I am an old timey Pro Co Rat user. Up till now the Classic Distortion "Rat Model" in Line 6 rigs sounded pretty good. I am sorry to say, that to my ear the Vermin Drive Rat Model in the Helix, doesn't even come close. To me the Rat was nice thick fat distortion just enough high end. The Vermin Drive to me is too "Tinky". The M5 has the old Classic Distortion. I dialed it in last night  and was like old home week!

Right now my go to drives in the Helix are the Teemah, the Minotaur, and Valve Driver.

I really wanted the Helix to be a one-does all device, and didn't want to haul or connect other things to it. Since I use the Patch/Snapshot mode, it gives me a stomp outside of that set up. And, I have already used an external Expression pedal to ramp up and down the Rotary mod, super cool.

The good news is that the Helix Backpack allows enough space for the Helix, the M5, the Expression pedal, cords, and my wireless.

Strato, out 

There's a lot of effects on M5 not available on Helix.

The two I miss the most:

Lo-Res delay

Growler

For the MIDI thing, I don't use it like that, but in case it can work for you: I use instant commands on the Helix with a MIDI channel dedicated to the M5. The advantage is you can change it by snapshot, so each snapshot can call a different preset on the M5.

There's a lot of effects on M5 not available on Helix.

The two I miss the most:

Lo-Res delay

Growler

For the MIDI thing, I don't use it like that, but in case it can work for you: I use instant commands on the Helix with a MIDI channel dedicated to the M5. The advantage is you can change it by snapshot, so each snapshot can call a different preset on the M5.

The Vintage Delay is pretty close to the Lo-Res delay. I can't say I've done a head-to-head comparison, but conceptually, they're kind of the same thing.

OK, so I found the PC# that coincides with the  preset number on the M5 in the grayed-out section over the second knob at the bottom of the  Setlist Menu.

My guess is that I can edit/assign that number at the Instant commands in the Command Center?

I watched a video by Blue Oyster Cult guy demoing MIDI and CV set up...I am dizzy. I am bound and determined to learn the Helix. Right now I need to concentrate on MIDI nomenclature.