Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Finally found the perfect speakers for my helix but need help with a noise level problem/sound wave physics issue

mitch103

I'm sure what I'm about to say has already been said before but I do think I've found the ultimate speaker. If you think I haven't yet, please give me suggestions so I can continue my Neverending search for the perfect tone.

After trying lots of different computer speakers (klipsch, bose), and studio monitors (Mackie and Adams) I came across a post on here from a while back talking about powered speaker cabs. It had just never occurred to me before.. after just a few hours of playing through my new Mission Engineering Gemini 2 I am absolutely blown away with the realistic tube amp sounds I'm getting out of this thing. Now this leads to my problem which I have a question about.

I live in a condo that shares a wall with another. The gemini 2 boasts a whopping 220 Watts of power capable of being heard from one side of the city I live in to the other I would imagine... and while I haven't put the volume knob on the back of the cabinet much past 9 o'clock I'm sure you can imagine my predicament. Currently I have the cab on the opposite end of my living room directly facing the wall dividing my neighbors and I (approximately 12 feet from cab to wall). Needless to say I've had a of couple knocks on the door. I want to be a courteous neighbor so I'd like some suggestions on what to do besides (but I AM more than willing to do this) 'turn the volume knob down'.

Would it be better if I put the cab AGAINST the dividing wall but facing the opposite direction? Should I leave it where it's at but change it 90 degrees left or right? Unfortunately at this time it must stay in living room. Thanks in advance guys.. rock on!

Tl/dr: Mission engineering gemini 2 is the lollipop as a helix speaker but is there anything better? It's also loud and I'm pissing off the neighbors. Need sound wave direction advice.

Edit: the 'lollipop'? 😂

As an apartment dweller myself, believe me when I say that you have but one solution: good headphones.

Minus a whole lot of soundproofing, there's little you're gonna be able to do to keep from driving your neighbors insane, I don't care where you point the thing...unless you're willing to settle for average TV watching volume, which tends to be somewhat less than satisfying. Melt the walls at the rehearsal studio...;)

• Upvote 1

Don't waste your time, effort, and expense on soundproofing. Unless you spend a small fortune you won't effectively contain the SPL to your apartment. Simply turn the Gemini 2 -- way down.

Otherwise, use Headphones, IEMs, or much smaller powered monitors that will sound full at low volumes. Something like the JBL LSR305 or smaller computer style monitors.

• Upvote 1

So you both have said pretty much the same thing, I just need to turn it down which isn't a problem. However could I save a few decibels of noise reaching my neighbors living room by repositioning the cab? If so what would be more effective: rearranging furniture so the cab in against the dividing wall but facing the opposite direction or simply keeping things the way they are and turning the cab 90 degrees

Would an attenuator/power soak be a feasible solution in this case?

I know it's usual to put a power soak/load box between a tube amp and the speaker cab to be able run the amp flat out "loud" and the speakers at a lower volume level. Although, I don't know if this would function between Helix and your Gemini 2 rig? Anyone know?

So you both have said pretty much the same thing, I just need to turn it down which isn't a problem. However could I save a few decibels of noise reaching my neighbors living room by repositioning the cab? If so what would be more effective: rearranging furniture so the cab in against the dividing wall but facing the opposite direction or simply keeping things the way they are and turning the cab 90 degrees

You're grasping at straws, man. Rearranging furniture isn't gonna solve the problem of thin condo walls. The low end frequencies and their nice looooooooong wavelengths are difficult to attenuate. They plow through everything. I guarantee that's what your neighbors are hearing...and they ain't gonna be stopped by a couch, pointing the amp at the North Star, or surrounding it with a pillow fort.

Headphones...or the aforementioned small JBL studio monitors (or something comparable) are the answer(s) you're looking for. I have that very pair,and they sound quite good at comfy, non-window rattling levels. But even those I won't use if I'm playing at 2am...

Well no because the amplifier is built in to the cab so I have to literally take the cab apart and screw around in there which I'd rather not do. The helix isn't the amplifier so there's no point putting a load box there.

D'oh!

Obvious really - my brain must have been somewhere else!

You can always sold your gemini 2 :) Have to say that Equal loundness mode is pretty amazing in home use.

"The speakers deliver 300W of power with the 8 ohm rated drivers – and they offer plenty of volume when you’re competing with a loud drummer. Matrix have also added DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technology to the module and one of the new features is a mode that gives an approximation of the Equal Loudness curve, allowing you to use sounds dialed-in at higher volumes at bedroom volumes. This feature is very useful for players who don’t want to alter their patches and keep that stage tone at home"

Well me neighbor and I did some testing. I set a loop of me playing some random palm muted and non palm muted power chords and did some directional adjusting and went back and forth from my condo to his and it just seems like the lower end frequencies are what is causing the problem. The only times you could really hear it from his condo despite the volume level was when I was palm muting. Especially a '022xxx'chord.

Well no because the amplifier is built in to the cab so I have to literally take the cab apart and screw around in there which I'd rather not do. The helix isn't the amplifier so there's no point putting a load box there.

Well, that and the fact that attenuators are only effective with tube amps. It allows tube amps to get to their overdriven power tube sweet spot without having to be loud. Solid state amplifiers don't have this sweet spot. They, for the most part, sound the same at low and high volume levels. For the most part.

...did some directional adjusting and went back and forth from my condo to his and it just seems like the lower end frequencies are what is causing the problem.

Of course they are. Treble is never the problem in situations like this. You can attenuate the highs with cheese cloth. Low frequency = long wavelengths, which are essentially omni-directional...they go everywhere, which is why it won't matter where you point the front of the amp. The lows are gonna march right through walls, floors, and ceilings, at anything but the lowest of volumes.

Headphones...

I use Beyerdynamic DT880 pro (250ohm) headphones and they are phenomenal with Helix and for all other audio tasks. Very comfortable and the frequency range response is amazing. They are no where near $1000 either! I'm assuming you are in the US..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT880 

I just bought this cab and I wanna use it damnit! What are the best headphones I could get under $1000

You don't need to spend anything close to $1K...AKG K701's can be had all day long for about $200 on eBay or Amazon, and are excellent. The K240S model are also quite good, and will only set you back about 80 bucks.

There are plenty of other options in the sub-$300 price range that should suit you just fine as well. Those are just the two pairs I've used the most.

Ok, and one more unrelated question from me. I'm sure I would fiND the answer to this in the patch notes but I dont wanna go digging just now, did the guitar input impedance option get removed recently? If so why?

It is no longer a global option but is now located on the Input block for each preset. I assume it was done to make each preset more customizable for different guitars and provide more flexibility to correspond to the first block in the preset.