Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beware - iConnectMIDI4+ can NOT receive and route Audio from a HELIX over USB

d0stenning

Be warned - if you're thinking of buying an iConnectMIDI box in order to connect both an iPad and your Mac to your HELIX at the same time - all over USB and with a totally (USB) digital audio path, routing audio how you please ... 

You can't. 

I didnt read the small print - and the USB B Host port on the iConnectMIDI4+ unit that finally arrived here the other week - ONLY SUPPORTS MIDI routing not audio

Shame :(    I wanted to have my HELIX connected via USB to both my iPad AND my mac  at the same time.  To avoid plugging in and plugging out USB cables- when switching from using Loopy HD on the iPad to much apps on the Mac such as a DAW etc. 

There ARE  USB B  "Switchers"  but i'm unclear as to if they work when doing audio streaming over USB. 

any suggestions Peoples ? 

Sadly not.  i've tried.  when plugged directly into a mac  you can send audio from iPad into the Mac using the Show Device Browser in Audio MIDI Setup - and add the iPad as an output INTO a mac app etc.  But theres no input feature.  This is down to OSX.  hopefully in future it will change. 

Sounds like you and I are on the same quest!  I've not tried it yet, but Studiomux might be worth looking at:

http://www.audiomux.net

Also for what it's worth, I ditched my iconnectaudio4+ and now just go straight into my iPad via camera connection kit & usb hub for LoopyHD.  I control Loopy via Helix and a USB foot controller I built using a midibrain jr..  I'm loving the simplicity of it, and not sure now that I want to add my Mac back into the mix.

• Upvote 1

looked at that a while back - will do so again. ( audiomux ) 

now i'm back exploring Loopy after a long break - ( just did my first improv using just fingers and helix-itv this morning ) i'm wading thru the huge amount of options for MIDI control - hard to know where to start. 

I'm going to be using my Keith McMillen 12 step initially.  

Which of all the many mapping options have you decided to map onto pedals and why ? 

i'm off to read up soon audiomux and then watch youtube training vids of Loopy.

<I'm loving the simplicity of it, and not sure now that I want to add my Mac back into the mix.> 

hear you.  problem is - my HELIX is also the audio hub of my "music-room" for minimalist simplicity - the only audio interface in the whole system ( no mixer either ) and the XLRs from my HELIX feed the studio monitors.  And my iMac also needs to connect to the monitors for Ableton BIAB etc.. 

so need both.  Hopefully that USB switcher will suffice.   

I set Loopy up with no count in/out & no quantization but with track synchronization on (thus all tracks play in-time but can be varying lengths).

My basic setup is just 3 foot switches (other switches are always changing as I experiment a lot).  I like having record on the far right since it feels more natural to me (I wish Line 6 would allow us to reconfigure the Helix looper functionality and button placement).

Loopy footswitch 1 short press = toggle record without count-in/out 

Loopyfootswitch 1 long press = clear selected track

Loopy footswitch 2 short press = select next track

Loopy footswitch 2 long press = select previous track

Loopy footswitch 3 short press = mute selected track

Loopy footswitch 3 long press = mute all tracks (solo selected track is cool here too)

I also run a Digitech Trio+ via analog sends/returns and can easily capture what I do there in Loopy which is pretty cool.  It would be even cooler if I could assign the sends/returns globally instead of per patch and were the Trio+ stereo, but those are other topics.  At any rate, I'm 90% where I want to be with my simple zen looping setup (Helix, iPad & Trio+).  I wish I had all this crap 20 years ago though!  ;)

• Upvote 1

After having spent tons of time learning and preparing for loopy - some googling and scanning has revealed there are other powerful Looper apps that might fit me more. 

Loopy seems - after enounctering the "new breed"  - to be exquisitely elegant visually and GUI wise. But lacking features. And many aspects seem unnecessarily fiddly - albeit promoting a minimalist uncluttered view. 

The new contender I will plump for as MYlooper of choice - is most likely Group The Loop - since it offers the opportunity for on the fly songs sections like Verse Chorus etc

http://www.grouptheloop.com   [ UPDATE ... don't - GTL currently does NOT support 48kHz  ]

Might also check out LoopTree

http://musicappblog.com/looptree-review/

Also - quite simpler - more like a Ditto X4 in operation is QUANTILOOP :

https://ask.audio/articles/review-quantiloop-the-ultimate-looper-for-ios 

Everest looks good - but doesnt offer me more of what i need than Loopy really. 

https://itunes.apple.com/app/everest-audio-looper/id935099124?mt=8#&uo=8&at=10lPzZ

Finally - (  i think ) 

come across this  Mac/PC based looper.   But without touch doubt i'll go for it

http://www.repetito.com/index.php?page=homepage

Beware- while Looptree seems very cool, it appears to have very limited MIDI support.

The reason I love Loopy is my setup performs basically like a Ditto on steroids. It's a small chore to set it up the first time, but once there it's stupid simple to use. Even then I feel like I'm only using 10% of it capability.

Fwiw, another cool analog style looper is Ostinator.

I'm now beta testing this app - and rest assured - theres a BIG smile on my face now. 

I LOVE this app !   

Group the Loop looks really good!  So cool that the dev got 48kHz update to you the same day!!!  The joys of a 1 man dev team eh! :)

I'm trying to find a manual for Group the Loop so I can check out all it's features - but can't find one.. maybe you can help?

I was wondering how it would play with Helix..  can Group the Loop access any of the Helix USB outs or just 1/2??

It would be cool for example if a metronome / drum loop could be sent out of USB 3/4 for example and then out of Helix Send sockets to a stage monitor, whilst the main looping action took place on USB 1/2 which was routed through the Helix XLRs

MAN OH MAN!

I've just been introduced to Ableton Link thanks to this thread and Group the Loop - it's just like magic that keeps all the stuff in time :)

How awesome it is!!  I can run loopy, whilst someone else runs group the loop, and another iOS machine could be a drum machine or metronome.

I just tried it out on a couple of my iPhones and it's so spooky changing the tempo from one device and it altering the other.. and them staying in time.

I just need the new Helix update to come out today and I will probably explode.  :P

• Upvote 1

Group the Loop looks really good!  So cool that the dev got 48kHz update to you the same day!!!  The joys of a 1 man dev team eh! :)

I'm trying to find a manual for Group the Loop so I can check out all it's features - but can't find one.. maybe you can help?

I was wondering how it would play with Helix..  can Group the Loop access any of the Helix USB outs or just 1/2??

It would be cool for example if a metronome / drum loop could be sent out of USB 3/4 for example and then out of Helix Send sockets to a stage monitor, whilst the main looping action took place on USB 1/2 which was routed through the Helix XLRs

The 48khz update isn't out quite yet ( unless i missed something ) and in fact i'm expecting at least one more beta to come my way to solve certain issues. But rest assured its coming :) 

<It would be cool for example if a metronome / drum loop could be sent out of USB 3/4 for example and then out of Helix Send sockets to a stage monitor, whilst the main looping action took place on USB 1/2 which was routed through the Helix XLRs> 

agreed.  why not suggest this on the forum ? 

I don't think there IS any manual in pdf etc format I'm afraid - but there is a help thing i recall hidden away under settings. but I'm not near my iPad right now so can't be sure.

I think GTL  can only access the main HELIX 1/2 channels right now. But i think the dev has plans for more in the future. at least i think i read that somewhere on the GTL forum.