Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax newbie

Jon_Me

Hi all, variax virgin until 2 months ago when I took delivery of a used 500 that had been pro modded with 3 single coils with pull switch to by-pass internal guts (very handy in case of emergency and flexible too). Anyway, it's been a revelation, in particular the acoustic modelling. I'm not an electric player, but have found myself using this in solo performances more than my favourite acoustic, particularly for looping as the variety of tones and models is v useful.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking that as I don't use the electric guitar models at all, I might as well get an acoustic variax.

They don't come up for sale very often, so wondered if the good people on here could point me in the right direction to source one, and where would be a good place to sell/ trade/ swap my 500 for an acoustic?

I'm in south west UK.

Cheers for now.

Jon

They come in 300 Acoustic and 700 Acoustic, there was no 500 Acoustic version.

It's an easy one to forget.

eBay is a good source, maybe Amazon UK. Also check with the guitar shops on Denmark St

off of Charing Cross Rd, Macari's at Charing Cross Rd and Shaftsbury Rd, if you're ever up London way.

Servicing of Variax guitars could be done at Mark Wright Music in Northampton.

Mark used to be a service and repair tech at Line 6 in Rugby, when there was a

location there. There would also be the usual factory authorized service centers.

• 1 month later...

Jon_Me

I have an Acoustic 700 that I LOVE. Great guitar and though I have a 600, 3 JTVs - 69, 69s and 59 I like the acoustic sound modeling of the 700 best despite the HD hype.

Be cautioned that L6 is not really supporting the first gen Variaxs (or JTVs as far as I can see). As evidence I offer the fact that you can't really get it to work cleanly with Helix. As of now the Helix will NOT act as an interface to allow you to run any version of Workbench in any iteration. A complaint of from many of us.

Other than that the Acoustic 700 is great instrument. I can't really understand why they discontinued it at least in in some form.