Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Only sound in certain presets spider v 30

Guest Gareth

I've had my new amp 2 days! It's been working fine, I plugged it up tonight after work and there's no sound coming out if it. Only 2 or 3 presets work such as Hell Cowboys. It's really frustrating! I've tried resetting to factory defaults but it's the same...

Hey there,

Sorry about the random strange behavior. 

Have you tried performing a Firmware update via the Line 6 Updater? (http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7237)

If not, please download the Line 6 Updater. Connect your Spider V 30 to your computer via the USB out, run the updater and update to the latest firmware. 

Please let us know if this helps. 

Thanks!

I've had my new amp 2 days! It's been working fine, I plugged it up tonight after work and there's no sound coming out if it. Only 2 or 3 presets work such as Hell Cowboys. It's really frustrating! I've tried resetting to factory defaults but it's the same...

Hi Gareth, I replied to your IM.

Hmmm. I have not seen this one before. Usually when an amp quits working, none of the presets work. How did you perform a factory reset? Did you use a button combination or did you press and hold the HOME button, then scrolled down to the bottom "Factory Reset" and pressed down on the rotary knob? If you did not reset via the HOME button, I would suggest you do so. Also, what FW version are you on? I am on the latest 1.02, you might also want to upgrade if you're not on the latest, as the release notes say that presets were improved.

Oh, one more thing... Did you check under settings whether you have the knobs set to Absolute or Relative? some people like relative, but Absolute ensures that turning the knobs really sets them where they should be. Once done, try one of the patches that do not work anymore and turn the VOLUME know (not the master) all the way up (make sure you are in AMP mode) and then give the MASTER knob a few turns all the way up and down (just in case it's got some dirt that prevents it from working).

If this doesn't work, I'll try to think of something else, but it might also be time to give Line 6 support a call. Since the Spider V series is brand new, I'm sure it's still under warranty.

Hi guys, Deadlocked, I've just I'd you back. It seems the problem occurs when I plug my fbv2 foot switch in to the amp before I turn it on? Which seems kinda odd...the amp is working fine this morning, I've plugged in the switch and all is well, hopefully, that's all that was wrong, will try again later and see if it still works. Calling line 6 is also a bit if an issue as I'm in the UK and their tech support is in Germany :/

Wow, that's even more strange. If you are having issues when you plug in the FBV2 *before* you turn on the amp but not after, it would go contrary to Line 6 recommendation in general, which is exactly to plug in the FBV *before* you turn on the amp.

Now that you mentioned that you have an FBV2, I think I know the reason why you are experiencing issues: On the link below, you will see that, while the FBV2 is not shown as "not working" with Spider V, it is also not shown as "working" either.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/fbv-mki-mkii-controllers/the-complete-line-6-pedal-compatibility-faq-r58

My theory is that FBV2 is not supported on Spider V and that is causing issues. FBV2 does not have an expression pedal to control volume or wah, but maybe... just maybe... when you connect it, the Spider V might *think* it's an FBV Express with volume pedal in the "heel" position and drops the channel volume down to 0 on some patches and that is why you do not hear sound.

I do not have an FBV2 to try, but... if you connect your phone/tablet to the Spider V and check the patches that do work vs the ones that do not... maybe the patches that do have sound also happen to have the volume pedal effect disabled (therefore, output volume would be unaffected on those patches by whichever foot controller is plugged in?

Also, Did you try to contact Yamaha in the UK for support? Not sure they can even help, but maybe they can at least point you in the right direction.

Oh also to rule in/out the FBV2 as the source of the issues, Do you happen to know someone with an FBV Express MKII, a Shortboard MKII or an FBV3 who would let you borrow it for a short time to test? I bet if the FBV2 is the source of your issues, that it will go away if you use one of the supported pedal boards. For optimal use of the amp I would not recommend the Express, though, as you are limited to one bank out of the Spider V's 32 banks. A Shortboard MKII or an FBV3 will allow full use of all the tone switching functions that the Spider V supports.