Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ja615

Okay so im going to purchase a line 6 pod hd pro x and I need some help on which power amp to get. I have 2 in mind, its either between the ART sla2 or the behringer inuke nu1000. The sla2 is used and comes with a road case for only 139.99 at guitar center or my other option would be to get the behringer nu1000. I would be using the power amp to power a laney 2x12 160watt guitar cabinet for practice and live shows in smaller venues. The sla2 is something like 360 brand new so i feel its a really good deal considering it also comes with a road case but I just want to get a second opinion on which one to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Solid state power is solid state power. Both of those seem to be designed more for PA use, as opposed to a guitar rig, so they're likely gonna deliver fairly clean power that won't color your tone much one way or the other. In terms of what it will actually sound like, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference blindfolded. The only questions are how much juice do you actually need, can you run them in bridge mono, and do they have selectable impedance so you can match it to your cabinet? etc...

Thank you for your input cruisinon2 I really appreciate it! So I guess you can bridge both of them in mono, as for the impedance I'm not sure. I've seen a few people use the ART sla2 with an axe fx on youtube for some live stuff but wasn't able to find anyone using a Behringer. 

just some commentary.

What I found that works for me when using solid state power is the power rating needs to be at least 400 watts @ 8 ohms. This approach can get really close to recreating the feel of a 100 watt tube power amp. The rationale for this is actually fairly simple. All tube power amps have the capacity to exceed their output rating by a factor of 2-5 times depending on the design in the form of fast transients. Fast transients are kinda like the spank on a Fender twin when it jumps out of the cab and grabs you around the neck. Tube amps are unique in that they are self-limiting when you drive them at full power and will not pass DC. Bascially, they will not clip hard. Solid-state does not behave this way, so the more power the better when you want to achieve something close to the same feel you might get from a 100 tube amp.

I think those are decent power amp choices considering a single 212 cab. I would be a bit torn between these two. The SLA has a slightly higher power rating (200 watts @ 8 ohm per channel vs 150 watts per channel @ 8 ohms). However, the SLA is a solid-state class AB. That is a reliable design, but it is only about 40% efficient at best as it will draw 1000 watts to put out just over 400 watts. The Behringer is a Class D amplifier. That means lighter weight and efficiency beyond 90%...It pulls what it needs and Class D can be exceptionally clean with very high dampening compared to typlical solid-state. The power rating is borderline...I think if you just pick the one you like better, you should be ok.

• Upvote 1

Hey nice explanation from spaceatl, thx that wht the feeling it have without understanding this huge tube amp presence in a room, facing solidstate

I've tried several solution, first FRFR rig with EV ZLX12P, nice sound , lightweight but not for loud band (i'm in a stoner one with 2 guitar), i use it at home for tweaking, music...

Rocktron velocity 300 , really good and loud this blow away every 50watt tube amp and compete 100w tube, and their reactance and defintion setting work fine to recreate tube amp feeling. This amp is almost flat , neutral, but lack a bit of life , the tube mojo stuff, still have and use it .

Tried a Peavey classic 50/50 , this bring pod HD to life, loud neutral , sound instantly become more focused like a real guitar amp, still have and use it.

;

Tried in a bugera 333XL power amp, pretty much same result peavy classic 50/50.

Now i've ordered an Electro harmonix magnum 44 poweramp , for practising mainly , still awaiting my order

My recommendation would be : verify it's pretty much neutral, some power amp really tint the sound could be good or bad, and yes enough headroom

• Like 1