Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Warning!!! Don't let USB connected to PC for a long time.

rlm01

I had my Helix connected to PC for about 4 hours and then a receive a message that it was not connected anymore. Since then I can't connect to any PC with the editor or the updater. I think that the USB connector or something else is damage. So I can't load any preset or IR to the Helix. A info Tech said that it could be that connected much longer something got to hot and damage. I'm in Brasil and don't know what to do. Sorry for my poor english, but I think that the idea of what could happen is clear.

I've left my Helix connected for way longer than that without anything like that happening, I've never heard of such a thing, and I really think there would be some kind of warning in the docs if there was much of a chance of that. Not that it's impossible, just not likely.

Was it Line 6 support that told you that? If not, I'd suggest contacting them, they know these devices the best.

Does that USB port work for other things? Have you tried a different USB port with Helix? Restarted Helix? Restarted your computer?

I agree - it's more likely to be a PC issue.  First shut everything down and restart and reconnect (PC and Helix) - then if you still got a problem find a good IT person and they will be able to trouble shoot your USB issues - very unlikely to be anything more complex than a driver issue - you might need to install the editor (the same version as your Helix firmware) on to another computer to do a backup.  I'm betting you will end up reinstalling the editor on your existing PC or at worst reinstalling your Helix firmware (after a backing up). it might even be your USB on the computer.  I've also had mine connected all day with no problems.  If you do find you have to do a full install, I'd be concerned about your PC's USB being safe. Do you have any USB connected drives or anything?  Do they all work reliably?  

Yes - restart - if that doesn't fix it see a computer geek! 

Mine is hooked up all day long to my Mac via USB, that's partly what it was designed for. It is used as my main studio interface for recording with Logic Pro X, for playback of iTunes, general Internet Radio and YouTube stuff. I have never noticed it even get slightly warm, let alone hot enough to do any damage. That is totally weird, and I don't understand what has happened, unless something shorted out?

I agree - it's more likely to be a PC issue. First shut everything down and restart and reconnect (PC and Helix) - then if you still got a problem find a good IT person and they will be able to trouble shoot your USB issues - very unlikely to be anything more complex than a driver issue - you might need to install the editor (the same version as your Helix firmware) on to another computer to do a backup. I'm betting you will end up reinstalling the editor on your existing PC or at worst reinstalling your Helix firmware (after a backing up). it might even be your USB on the computer. I've also had mine connected all day with no problems. If you do find you have to do a full install, I'd be concerned about your PC's USB being safe. Do you have any USB connected drives or anything? Do they all work reliably?

Yes - restart - if that doesn't fix it see a computer geek!

.....and try different USB cable.

This is not normal/expected behavior.

As was mentioned, try a different USB cable... as that's the most likely culprit.

If power-management is enabled for the USB port where Helix was connected, after an extended period of time... the machine might have shut down that USB port to conserve power.  However, this wouldn't explain the problem persisting after a reboot... or with other machines.

If you've swapped the USB cable... and tried with several different machines (make sure to try Intel USB-2 ports), it's time to have the Helix checked out.

OK, lets see in parts.  

Does that USB port work for other things?

Yes for other devices all ports in PC and Laptop are working well.

- Have you tried a different USB port with Helix?

Yes I tried all ports, uninstal and reinstal all usb ports, reinstall the driver, the same version of my helix firmware.

- Restarted Helix?

Yes restarted many times.

- Restarted your computer?  

Yes, after reistall the driver.

you might need to install the editor (the same version as your Helix firmware).

The version installed is the same as the Helix firmware, it was working well for about three weeks.

I'm betting you will end up reinstalling the editor on your existing PC or at worst reinstalling your Helix firmware.

Yes I relistalled the editor the updater in PC and laptop and the two can't connect to helix, neither the updater can see my healix.

-Sometimes mine disconnects of it's own accord. A simple unplug and replug of the USB fixes it. Not sure whether it's the computer or the Helix at fault. Never been a serious problem.

Mine was doing the same til the the day it disconnects and never connected again.

- .....and try different USB cable.

Tried 3 USB cable that are working for other devices.

I just did it on mine.  It actually is called update mode.

It allows the updater to see Helix but not the editor.  So if you do not have your stuff already backed up, you may be out of luck.  It will allow you to see if it finds the Helix in the editor software, at least that might of tell you if its a firmware issue in the Helix.  

Booting into update mode does not in itself delete anything on the Helix.

Actually you can reflash the helix and it "should not" delete anything either.  its the 9 - 10 reboot as recommended / required that does the clearing of presets and IRs.

Maybe you can reflash, then go in and backup, then do a reset.  Please get more advise from others.  I really dont want to be responsible if you lose some important stuff.