Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trouble with recording inputs into separate tracks - ableton and X3 live

I'm using a microphone plugged into the aux port of my X3 live (well actually the mic goes in via a mixer to help with gain) and my guitar plugged in via the guitar-in as normal. I've connected the x3 to my laptop via usb. I read the guide about separating tracks ("set one track's input as 1/2 the other as 3/4"). However it seems no matter which combination of track inputs I select, both the guitar and vocals (microphone) are being recorded in both tracks - they are not separated. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Make sure your X3 preset is configured to use Guitar as one input (e.g. Tone 1) and MIC as the other input (E.g. Tone 2). In your DAW, arm two stereo tracks for recording. For one track select USB 3/4 (the stereo output of Tone 1) as the Record Input. For the second track select USB5/6 (stereo Tone 2) as the Record Input.

Refer to the manual Section 8-2 for the details of how the USB outputs relate to the Tones.

Thanks for your help. I'll go through the section of the manual you noted. I can't at the moment seem to get anything out of channels 3/4, it's just 5/6 in ableton that have anything coming in, 3 and 4 are silent (and 1 and 2 are my laptop's own microphone). I've got the asio driver which I can access through ableton and it recognises and labels the x3 live as you'd expect, next to my laptop's sound card. (However Ableton just has the inputs labeled as numbers, not 'USB' followed by a number as you describe). I set the inputs in the x3 as guitar for tone 1 and aux for tone 2, still the mic and guitar both come through together in inputs 5 and 6 in ableton. The quick fix I did was to hard pan both tones in the x3 output settings, that makes it possible to record the guitar and mic into separate audio tracks in ableton. I must be doing something dumb, I'll keep at it.