Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Helix Facebook Group

Zzz123

Hi Guys ,

After being frustrated with  being asked to pay for help/ advice on other Helix Facebook groups, I've decided to start one for all of us!

The goal here is to create a positive atmosphere where people are genuinely helpful to each other, and not hoping to make money off of  "helping" others.

As usual, the things I'm hoping will get done on this group are:

1. Preset sharing and improvement

2. Free IR sharing

3. Links to really great/ the best tone packs/ IRs (as voted on by members)

4. General help and advice

5. Troubleshooting

Please join and share the word.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730763273911707/

Let's make this a success...:)

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Cool ! I have notice the same thing that everybody wants more money money and try to sell their lollipop presets and IR´s.

Well, they're not all quite lollipops. 

People like Fremen and John Browne (Monuments) have created some awesome tone packs.

What I do not like is where one asks a question and gets a response that goes "Join My Premium group".

Lets use this group to help everyone!

• Upvote 1

I've found the Facebook group that you are referring to to be pretty helpful and I haven't felt pressure to join the premium group. 

My experience was the exact opposite Scotty.

Came in, asked a question, first response "Join my Premium Group".

Things got nasty after that :). 

I can't say I've ever felt pressure to join the Premium group, but I'm pretty self sufficient.  I think the community over there is pretty eager to help and provide advice from what I've seen.  I have seen people that ask questions like "I can't get the tone I want" which isn't something that passing advice from the community can answer whether it's that facebook group or some other facebook group.  Those are the folks that need more extensive help sharing files or audio.  It's nice if you get people in your group willing to do that, but most people don't really have the time to dedicate to helping someone like that.  But if you're lucky enough to get some folks like that, all the better.  Good luck with it.

I've been okay with that group, but honestly, rarely ask questions.

Haven't felt pressured to join the premium group at all. And at over 3700 members, it's probably a great place to get free advice.

Join this group and help us get there ! :)

Hmmm, not on Facebook, don't want to be, pretty OK with this group here. Any particular reason for yet another one?

Good question. The goals as outlined in the opening post seem to be pretty much what already goes on here, except perhaps for the 'free' part. How is that going to be ensured? The reason there are fee-based offers here is that there's virtually no censorship except for spam filters. If someone offers a product/service and another is willing to pay what's the harm? Nobody is being forced. (I know there's a whole other thread on this and I don't wish to start this discussion again here.)

Will there be someone monitoring and approving every post in the new Facebook group to make sure that nobody breaks the rules? If not, how will fee-based offers there be prevented? And if they're not prevented, what distinguishes the new group from this forum?

I'm somewhat active on the Facebook group, and I guess I can't say I've seen a lot the pressure tactics being mentioned. I have seen a few posts where people are selling presets or whatever. I haven't really paid attention to them, I suppose. Probably better to kee only group going, imo, if the idea is to reach as many people as possible.

Good question. The goals as outlined in the opening post seem to be pretty much what already goes on here, except perhaps for the 'free' part. How is that going to be ensured? The reason there are fee-based offers here is that there's virtually no censorship except for spam filters. If someone offers a product/service and another is willing to pay what's the harm? Nobody is being forced.

Will there be someone monitoring and approving every post in the new Facebook group to make sure that nobody breaks the rules?

Thought about this...Not everyone's on this forum. Whereas, almost everyone is on Facebook.

We will have a bunch of neutral admins yes to keep things well...neutral... :)

I'm somewhat active on the Facebook group, and I guess I can't say I've seen a lot the pressure tactics being mentioned. I have seen a few posts where people are selling presets or whatever. I haven't really paid attention to them, I suppose. Probably better to kee only group going, imo, if the idea is to reach as many people as possible.

What I would like have with this group is 0 negative experiences.

Join us and help us get there :). 

What I would like have with this group is 0 negative experiences.

Join us and help us get there :).

Good luck with that. As an admin you would have to be very far from neutral in order to achieve that in a public group. You would have to decide what constitutes a negative experience and eliminate it/them. Only strict censorship can do that.

That's why what you sometimes see in this forum is what you consider negative experiences. There's virtually no censorship here other than spam filters.

Thought about this...Not everyone's on this forum. Whereas, almost everyone is on Facebook.

We will have a bunch of neutral admins yes to keep things well...neutral... :)

Actually there are a lot of people not on Facebook, like me and already another poster here, who have no desire to be. Of course if you live your social life through Facebook you can be left with the impression that everybody is there because those are the only people you know.

Also, I suspect that what you will find (I certainly did) is that as soon as someone is identified as a special user in any way (e.g. an admin) they are no longer perceived by the general user as neutral no matter how hard they try to be.

Actually there are a lot of people not on Facebook, like me and already another poster here, who have no desire to be. Of course if you live your social life through Facebook you can be left with the impression that everybody is there because those are the only people you know.

Oh you're definitely not alone. If it were the only way out, I'd gleefully pay money to NOT be on Facebook....I figure Facebook user ID's will eventually be issued at birth, just like your SS#...;)

Four people in this thread alone (including me) don't belong to Facebook.

Extrapolating that to the entire population, according to my maths, almost no one belongs to FB.  

It's just you, your mother, your ex-drummer and your ex-girlfriend.  And a bunch of Helix groups.

Four people in this thread alone (including me) don't belong to Facebook.

Extrapolating that to the entire population, according to my maths, almost no one belongs to FB.  

It's just you, your mother, your ex-drummer and your ex-girlfriend.  And a bunch of Helix groups.

HAHAHA! :)

The nice thing about this group as opposed Facebook is that it's pretty much just what it is, not a huge ecosystem that wants to own my life. Anyone who's not on this group has a very low barrier to entry, and very low "cost" to joining, not the case with FB.

This group already has significant mass to it, some L6 participation, and generally good vibes. I hope the few unpleasant conversations I've seen didn't put you off it. The vast majority of people and conversations here are kind and civil and friendly.

Sliverhead is right that where there are people, especially people on the internet, there's going to be some lollipop-talk. Preventing that completely goes against human nature, attempts at it eventually run aground on the shores of whose-judgement-land, and I doubt you really want to be in the full time moderator business anyway.

So anyway, I'm not planning to join you on FB, and don't really see the reason to dilute the Helix base with another meeting place, but of course you'll do what seems best to you.

One more for the "No Facebook Account" column. I am quite happy with this forum community. Despite the accusations that it's a hostile place where people are afraid to voice their opinions for fear of being flamed, I actually find it to be one of the friendlier and more helpful/productive forums about. That said, I hope your Facebook group takes off and that everyone gets a lot out of it. As far as trying to ensure that nobody ever has any bad feels, I'd recommend  that you take a look at the current state of American college campuses to see what that kind of an environment actually looks like in application.....

I agree with you that on the other facebook group a lot of publicity is going on. Especially with sticky posts or posts with inviting to join premium group appear regularly.

My guess is that chad didn't expect that whole lot of work that it apparently is and would like to have at least a compensation for all the time he puts in and I'm sure this is a lot. I understand it and for me it's kind of OK - I just don't react on the commercial offers because I have no need. But there are times I feel it's a bit too much.

I'm not joining another facebook group at the time - sorry. In fact I was thinking about leaving the existing one because I haven't got that much time and find it more useful if questions are posted here in this forum or over on TGP.

But good luck.

I too avoid FB! As much as possible. FB is way too reminiscent of the old AOL mentality of attempting to keep the mentality of the herd inside their own bubble. Moreover, FB's method exposes users to far too much collateral white noise distractions from FB's universe. The very fact FB requires a login to view is absurd.

These L6 Forums, L6's site knowledgebase resources, and the Threads on TGP and MLP are far more informative and well categorized. The best of the best can often be a well compiled and thriving Wiki-like site like the HelixHelp site or the Line6 Wikia site (if it were updated).

Hi Guys ,

After being frustrated with  being asked to pay for help/ advice on other Helix Facebook groups, I've decided to start one for all of us!

The goal here is to create a positive atmosphere where people are genuinely helpful to each other, and not hoping to make money off of  "helping" others.

As usual, the things I'm hoping will get done on this group are:

1. Preset sharing and improvement

2. Free IR sharing

3. Links to really great/ the best tone packs/ IRs (as voted on by members)

4. General help and advice

5. Troubleshooting

Please join and share the word.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1730763273911707/

Let's make this a success... :)

Just joined the group.  I hope it goes well and I'm looking forward to being a part of it!    

First, I do understand where you're coming from.  

To play a little bit of devil's advocate here I will say that I've been in the other group for several months and have had some conversations with Chad Boston.  

I think he's a genuinely good guy, I just think trying to provide support to a group as large as that Helix group has become is just overwhelming.  At the end of the day we all have to make a living and the premium group I think is Chad's way of trying to stay as involved with the Helix community and make a living.  

For many months he put in HOURS every week helping people at no charge.   Personally I'm surprised it went on as long as it did.  He did one on one skype calls, direct messaging, hosted group hangouts, etc.  The premium group has been a fairly recent development.  A month or two at the most I think, but I don't remember exactly when he started it.  

He really does care about the group.  It seems he really wanted to find a way to combine something he loves doing with making a living at it.  Can't fault anyone for that.  I can personally attest that when you try to mix music, even music gear, and making a living it's an uphill battle :)  

In fact just today he posted on the group that he's going to have to back off a bit and focus his time on other avenues to make money.  Which I think is smart.  

I see how if someone is relatively new to the group it could seem like it's a push to make money from the user base, but after seeing how much time and effort Chad's committed to the group in the past year or so it's been around, I just wanted to give a little different take on it.  Based on my interactions with him I really don't think he's someone who's just out to try and make a buck.  

Just my .02

• Upvote 1

Just joined the group.  I hope it goes well and I'm looking forward to being a part of it!    

To play a little bit of devil's advocate here I will say that I've been in the other group for several months and have had some conversations with Chad Boston.  

I think he's a genuinely good guy, I just think trying to provide support to a group as large as that Helix group has become is just overwhelming.  At the end of the day we all have to make a living and the premium group I think is Chad's way of trying to stay as involved with the Helix community and make a living.  

For many months he put in HOURS every week helping people at no charge.   Personally I'm surprised it went on as long as it did.  He did one on one skype calls, direct messaging, hosted group hangouts, etc.  The premium group has been a fairly recent development.  A month or two at the most I think, but I don't remember exactly when he started it.  

He really does care about the group.  It seems he really wanted to find a way to combine something he loves doing with making a living at it.  Can't fault anyone for that.  I can personally attest that when you try to mix music, even music gear, and making a living it's an uphill battle :)

In fact just today he posted on the group that he's going to have to back off a bit and focus his time on other avenues to make money.  Which I think is smart.  

I see how if someone is relatively new to the group it could seem like it's a push to make money from the user base, but after seeing how much time and effort Chad's committed to the group in the past year or so it's been around, I just wanted to give a little different take on it.  Based on my interactions with him I really don't think he's someone who's just out to try and make a buck.  

Just my .02

Yep. Chad has donated a huge amount of time to the Helix community and been more than generous in offering advice and giving practical support to others. But he also has to make a living. I don't begrudge him of that in the slightest.

• Upvote 1

Just my .02

That's all right and I agree with you but I think he opened the group with the wrong expectation. You can't open a facebook group and invest all your spare time and think that if you do invest your time Line 6 will notice and employ you as a fix Line 6 member. It just doesn't work that way.

He now noticed this and tries to make benefit in other ways, which is totally fine but I also understand that some people will leave the group because they are bugged by the sticky posts and an advert every third post.

Peace ;-)

• Upvote 2