Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix + standalone pedals

samclarke666

Hey all.

Just a quick one. I'm trying to make a preset that will play nicely with some external pedals i'm using to test for a review, but having trouble making a transparent patch that i can put a distortion pedal in front, which doesn't colour the sound.

Just wondering if anyone's done this before and if there's a trick i'm missing. Ideally I just want a nice clean amp to put pedals in front of to test/reamp.

Any ideas would be great

Sam

• Upvote 1

Hey Sam
I use a Butler Tube Driver and a Tim pedal with the Helix - and used both the the HD500 before that. I've found the best results come from not having the gain too high if the pedal has a lot of output (which the Tube Driver does). Depending on the guitar and pickups, playing with the impedance can make a difference too.

Hey Sam

I use a Butler Tube Driver and a Tim pedal with the Helix - and used both the the HD500 before that. I've found the best results come from not having the gain too high if the pedal has a lot of output (which the Tube Driver does). Depending on the guitar and pickups, playing with the impedance can make a difference too.

Cheers Scotty!

Do you think it's worth using an amp/cab or just a preamp/cab?

• Upvote 1

What are you connecting it to?

I have a DT25 that I connect to the Helix via line 6 link - for that I use the preamps.

I've shot some demo videos for a local music shop using the Helix with an amp model and Ownhammer impulse responses going into Cubase via XLR and they seemed to work quite well too.

What are you connecting it to?

I have a DT25 that I connect to the Helix via line 6 link - for that I use the preamps.

I've shot some demo videos for a local music shop using the Helix with an amp model and Ownhammer impulse responses going into Cubase via XLR and they seemed to work quite well too.

It's mainly going to be DI'd using the USB (reamping too) straight into Logic. So no live use. I'm also doing demo videos so any help would be great

• Upvote 1

I haven't tried the USB out, but I imagine the principle is the same. So I think for that you'll get the best results from using an amp and cab or amp and 3rd party impulse response. I have been using the pedals in the fx loop. For some pedals playing around with levels (both the XF loop and the pedal itself) could be worthwhile. If the gain is too high I have found I get an awful fizz over everything - and I hate fizz.

I haven't tried the USB out, but I imagine the principle is the same. So I think for that you'll get the best results from using an amp and cab or amp and 3rd party impulse response. I have been using the pedals in the fx loop. For some pedals playing around with levels (both the XF loop and the pedal itself) could be worthwhile. If the gain is too high I have found I get an awful fizz over everything - and I hate fizz.

Yep me too! Hate it. I think i might look into impulse responses. Most cases i turned the gain pretty much all the way down and made sure not to use a high gain amp

• Upvote 1