Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Archetype Lead and Stupod OD

laxtlo

Personally i didn't know that the Archetype was a high gain amp until a few minutes ago when some kindly pointed it out. It absolute blew me away when i cranked it up just a moment ago! Yup it's metal for sure....

• Upvote 1

I was never a fan of Spinal Puppet, but Archon was made for me. I never heard of this amp in the "real world" until I saw it in release notes. I can put it on an empty preset with default settings and no other blocks and it is instant metal bliss. As a 7-string player, I can appreciate how well it behaves on the low notes. It was made for chugging, drop-tuning, extended range, etc. Archon is a true beast, and I am in like with it.

I notice the depth parameter on the Archon and its totally change the sound of the amp even more better ! :D I will marry this amp or least get tattoeed it to my lollipop  ;) Wondering also how good is the real thing !?

I've not had the chance to fiddle with the depth parameter. I did notice that Digital_Iglo mentioned it somewhere. But even without the depth param this amp is a metal monster for sure.

You have to try it. It gives a fatter tone without mud! :)

I guess you returned from the car wash yesterday and sat down to spend quality time with this monster? ;) 

Just home from work. Decided to try out a simple path: NoiseGate -> Stupor OD -> Archetype -> 3 Sigma Audio Engl 3A Impulse. Fiddled around with the depth param while chugging away. It does a lot for the tone. It thickens the tone up quite a bit but when set to high I think is starts to lose definition. Didn't mess around with eq but that could help.

Also I spend a few minutes toggling between the Archetype and a few other amps using the same path. Actually I think the Line6 Elektrik is quite impressive too and sounds a bit like the Archetype. But from now on the Archetype is my new goto-amp that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

I guess you returned from the car wash yesterday and sat down to spend quality time with this monster? ;)

Just home from work. Decided to try out a simple path: NoiseGate -> Stupor OD -> Archetype -> 3 Sigma Audio Engl 3A Impulse. Fiddled around with the depth param while chugging away. It does a lot for the tone. It thickens the tone up quite a bit but when set to high I think is starts to lose definition. Didn't mess around with eq but that could help.

Also I spend a few minutes toggling between the Archetype and a few other amps using the same path. Actually I think the Line6 Elektrik is quite impressive too and sounds a bit like the Archetype. But from now on the Archetype is my new goto-amp that's for sure.

I certainly did — right until my wife told me to go to bed ;)

I never pushed the depth parameter up more than around 5ish as that was more than enough for a fat tone. I got lost with the Archon model so I didn't have time to play around with the Litigator yet. But that'll come later this week. ;)

Did anyone else notice the "Bright" switch on the Archon Clean channel? On Helix Editor, it is where the "Depth" control would be on the Lead channel. 

1. Any chance Line 6 will update existing amp models with a bright switch (and I may be speaking out of turn because I realize I haven't even checked the other amp models yet, I was loving both the Archon models)?

2. I know what a Bright switch generally does, but can anybody explain what a Depth control does? I'm theorizing that it either works like another bass EQ knob or it sweeps the frequency of the bass EQ control. Thanks in advance.

The Archon Lead combined with the Stupor OD sure is an instant, very likable metal tone. Tried it with Rosen Digital's Peavey XXX. It immediately reminded me of older Ozzy.

Just tried the Archon Clean. This amp will easily become my new favorite clean amp.

• Upvote 1

Is there meant to be a bright switch on the lead channel? I don't have one on mine, do have it on the clean channel, noticed that the real deal has one for the lead channel, I know I would use it, hopefully they tweak this is if it isn't there for everyone....

Is there meant to be a bright switch on the lead channel? I don't have one on mine, do have it on the clean channel, noticed that the real deal has one for the lead channel, I know I would use it, hopefully they tweak this is if it isn't there for everyone....

Actually, they chose to model it with it "always on" on the lead channel, since it sounded better and all it did without it is shun some highs, which you could do very easily yourself. Ben said it sounded better and if he had to model it with the bright switch off as well it would take up a lot more DSP, and that be a pain for no real gain. So to me, it makes sense that they chose this way of doing it. :)

I was never a fan of Spinal Puppet, but Archon was made for me. I never heard of this amp in the "real world" until I saw it in release notes. I can put it on an empty preset with default settings and no other blocks and it is instant metal bliss. As a 7-string player, I can appreciate how well it behaves on the low notes. It was made for chugging, drop-tuning, extended range, etc. Archon is a true beast, and I am in like with it.

Well maybe Spinal Puppet arguably isn't that great, certainly not when compared to the Helix Amps in general, but for me it was kinda the only tool in a toolbox of less than good tools. But i'm just curious of how it would sound if it was remodelled for Helix. On the other hand with the addition of Archon our helix's offers a nice range of high gain amps with plenty of variation. Couldn't be happier really.

Actually, they chose to model it with it "always on" on the lead channel, since it sounded better and all it did without it is shun some highs, which you could do very easily yourself. Ben said it sounded better and if he had to model it with the bright switch off as well it would take up a lot more DSP, and that be a pain for no real gain. So to me, it makes sense that they chose this way of doing it. :)

Have you noticed that when the Archon is selected in combination with a nice fat juicy Impulse response the options for adding a second amp to the same path "diminishes" a lot. The Helix editor turns red all over the place. So i guess without the bright switch option it's already punishing the DSP's. Or?

Have you noticed that when the Archon is selected in combination with a nice fat juicy Impulse response the options for adding a second amp to the same path "diminishes" a lot. The Helix editor turns red all over the place. So i guess without the bright switch option it's already punishing the DSP's. Or?

I did notice that I couldn't place three amps on the same DSP path (which is crazy anyway) when one of them was an Archon. But I don't remember if I could do that with other models. But I'd never need that much for a single preset anyway.

What I normally do is,

Place one amp on the first path with room to put drives, comp, modulation in front and a amp on the second path with room to put in delays and reverbs after

And then a cab at the end. It depends on how many effects I use post and pre the amp.

But yeah, I'm glad they didn't model the bright switch off for the lead channel if that would mean even more DSP use. IMO they made a perfectly balanced choice ;)

I did notice that I couldn't place three amps on the same DSP path

My recollection is no more than two amp models per DSP is a hard limit in the software, regardless of available DSP. I have made a few "four amp" presets that always needed split between DSPs. I'm pretty sure it says in the manual somewhere that you are limited to 2x2 amp models as well as 2x2 speaker blocks.

My recollection is no more than two amp models per DSP is a hard limit in the software, regardless of available DSP. I have made a few "four amp" presets that always needed split between DSPs. I'm pretty sure it says in the manual somewhere that you are limited to 2x2 amp models as well as 2x2 speaker blocks.

That would make sense. I probably always split it between the two paths when using more than two amps.

I often only use one cab and then let the two different amps go into that. Sometimes that can give me the difference i need without sounding too radically different from each other. But it always depends on the context and what it's for, of course.

• Upvote 1

My recollection is no more than two amp models per DSP is a hard limit in the software, regardless of available DSP. I have made a few "four amp" presets that always needed split between DSPs. I'm pretty sure it says in the manual somewhere that you are limited to 2x2 amp models as well as 2x2 speaker blocks.

And I think that makes sense from a 'real world' perspective too. Each of the DSP paths has one split parallel path, so you can have paths 1A and 1B as well as 2A and 2B. In order to have three amps in one DSP path you would have to have two of the amps in a serial rather than parallel configuration. I don't think you get a good sound in the real world by connecting the output of one amp to the input of another. I think one of the main objectives of the 4CM is to avoid doing that.

And I think that makes sense from a 'real world' perspective too. Each of the DSP paths has one split parallel path, so you can have paths 1A and 1B as well as 2A and 2B. In order to have three amps in one DSP path you would have to have two of the amps in a serial rather than parallel configuration. I don't think you get a good sound in the real world by connecting the output of one amp to the input of another. I think one of the main objectives of the 4CM is to avoid doing that.

Actually I keep the amps serial but bypass one of them from snapshot to snapshot. So it's more a way to get a multiple sounds for me, not a a "double amp" sound. But your point makes sense nonetheless :)

• Upvote 1

Aaah - yes. Hadn't considered that setup.

With snapshots I could easily get by with just one amp in a preset and then just change the parameters with each snapshot, and use my guitar volume to further adjust the tone and dirt.

But Helix lets me do much more, so sometimes I get carried away;)

Actually I keep the amps serial but bypass one of them from snapshot to snapshot. So it's more a way to get a multiple sounds for me, not a a "double amp" sound. But your point makes sense nonetheless :)

That was my intention exactly - not dual amps engaged simultaneously but just taking advantage of the snapshot feature to switch between two or three amps.

Ben Adrian's work is terrific!

If it has not already been suggested, I am glad to be the first to encourage Line 6 to consider naming a forthcoming Line 6 original amp model profile and/or FX model profile as the "Ben Adrian," "Adrian," or "BADrian!"

Ben Adrian's work is terrific!

If it has not already been suggested, I am glad to be the first to encourage Line 6 to consider naming a forthcoming Line 6 original amp model profile and/or FX model profile as the "Ben Adrian," "Adrian," or "BADrian!"

Not opposed to this at all, but there is the Adriatic Delay. And the KWB is a model of his own boutique pedal.

Not opposed to this at all, but there is the Adriatic Delay. And the KWB is a model of his own boutique pedal.

Didn't know that. I've yet to read through the models I'm unfamiliar with. Just got my HELIX this week. Was fascinated to see Ben's detailed design work during the Line 6 Open House in Aug! He still deserves an Amp bearing his name, as do you for everything you do for L6!

Didn't know that. I've yet to read through the models I'm unfamiliar with. Just got my HELIX this week. Was fascinated to see Ben's detailed design work during the Line 6 Open House in Aug! He still deserves an Amp bearing his name, as do you for everything you do for L6!

Aww shucks. I just help pick the amps; Ben is really the genius behind the modeling. Sam, our new Sound Designer is the brainchild behind the new SD-1, and he's already neck-deep into modeling amps and effects for the next update.

I named a few presets after friends' inside jokes; that's all I need. :)

I'd like to know what is the difference between the standard and the Adriatic mod delay?

Straight from the horse's mouth (Ben being said horse :) )

I DID design a delay (called the Adriatic Delay) which is basically my Boss DM-2 with modulation added. There is also selectable bucket brigade "size", editable clock noise. Eventually, I should get in the KWB and Bunnydrive pedals, but not at release.

From here: http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64744&start=140

The Archon is likely to start replacing the Dual Rec on some of my patches. Way more mids, it will sit so much better in a mix. And the cleans are fantastic! Love it, keep it up! Best gear purchase I have made in years.

Totally agree. The Archon is the new king! Just purchased the PRS Stealth Cab 4x12 from Rosen Digital. Currently I use 3 sigma Engl 4x12 3A with the Archon and it sounds awesome. So does some of the built-in cabs admittedly. It will be interesting to see if the PRS 4x12 stealth cab will bring anything new to the table.

Totally agree. The Archon is the new king! Just purchased the PRS Stealth Cab 4x12 from Rosen Digital. Currently I use 3 sigma Engl 4x12 3A with the Archon and it sounds awesome. So does some of the built-in cabs admittedly. It will be interesting to see if the PRS 4x12 stealth cab will bring anything new to the table.

I've been using the same Mesa 412 IR (one of Ownhammer's modern ones) I use for pretty much everything and the sound is killer. One of the things I never quite liked about my real Dual Rec is that the EQ controls are practically useless on the high gain settings, but the Archon, at least this model, has some really powerful tone sculpting capabilities. I CAN be scooped, if I really want, but I can also be super forward in the mix, which is usually what I actually want. My real Dual Rec is a little more mids-forward than the model on here (because it is a Roadster and I use a semi-open 2x12 with it), but the Archon puts me right where I want to be. So good.

I've been using the same Mesa 412 IR (one of Ownhammer's modern ones) I use for pretty much everything and the sound is killer. One of the things I never quite liked about my real Dual Rec is that the EQ controls are practically useless on the high gain settings, but the Archon, at least this model, has some really powerful tone sculpting capabilities. I CAN be scooped, if I really want, but I can also be super forward in the mix, which is usually what I actually want. My real Dual Rec is a little more mids-forward than the model on here (because it is a Roadster and I use a semi-open 2x12 with it), but the Archon puts me right where I want to be. So good.

Could you possibly point out the exact Ownhammer impulse you are using? I've never used ownhammer impulses but spending $15 to get more options is a no brainer for me. Ownhammer has three or four mesa packs on their website so...

Could you possibly point out the exact Ownhammer impulse you are using? I've never used ownhammer impulses but spending $15 to get more options is a no brainer for me. Ownhammer has three or four mesa packs on their website so...

I just got it out of their Mesa freebie sampler. It is labeled as 412 MES-ST V60 MDRN-0. I have bought several of their others, but haven't found any reason to go beyond their freebies on that particular cab, so.....