Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Archetype Lead and Stupod OD

laxtlo

I just got it out of their Mesa freebie sampler. It is labeled as 412 MES-ST V60 MDRN-0. I have bought several of their others, but haven't found any reason to go beyond their freebies on that particular cab, so.....

Thanks. I'll download the free ones and take it for a spin. Btw. I spend half an hour with my new acquisition, the PRS Stealth cab from Rosen, comparing it to the 3 Sigma Engl. In my opinion It's much more clear and defined in the mids and not so boomy. I'm no expert so don't take my word for it. Next up is comparing the 412 MES-ST V60 MDRN-0 to the PRS and Engl.

This amp is great right away with little tweaking- nice work! . Sits great with other instruments...cleans up well with volume as someone else mentioned. Stock cab sounded great as is. I don't feel like I need to meddle with L6's predefined cab choices too much.. Except for acoustic IR's. I'm curious how many just go straight to IR's or how many try to tweak the stock or any other cabs before you decide to use an IR?

This amp is great right away with little tweaking- nice work! . Sits great with other instruments...cleans up well with volume as someone else mentioned. Stock cab sounded great as is. I don't feel like I need to meddle with L6's predefined cab choices too much.. Except for acoustic IR's. I'm curious how many just go straight to IR's or how many try to tweak the stock or any other cabs before you decide to use an IR?

I use the stock cabs just as much as IR's. But IR's from Rosen and 3SA can serve as a reference point and some impulse libs come with multimic options too. But the smoother workflow with built in cabs is a plus.

Interestingly, they used the Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Recto cab as the "stock" cab with it. I use that one a lot, even on clean amps. I use a real one with my touring band and theirs is pretty close! I haven't downloaded any 3rd party IRs yet. I may at some point, but I don't think their stock cabs are as bad as a lot of folks do.

And yeah, the Archtype is a very nice model, maybe my favorite high gain model in the Helix! As someone said, you don't really need a stomp distortion in front of it, but I'm using the Minotaur (with it's drive set very low) with it just to get the lower voiced midrange I like so much in my lead sound.

• 1 year later...

I just bough a brand new Helix LT 1 week ago, I have the latest firmware etc... There is no

Archetype Lead amp in my helix..??!?!?

Did you install the latest firmware yourself, or did it come with it installed from the retailer?

Ahh.. no I just looked..It has 2.21.0 loaded on it.. It's only 1 week old.... So, do I need to get the latest version? Im "new" so, sorry for sounding like a dumba$$

The instructions for the update are in this thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-230—nov-21-2017