Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Backing up for Updates

Thurston9

This is my first update, what is the best strategy for backing up before I update?

My suggestion is the following, a bit of a pain but worth the effort in my opinion. I make two backups of everything in this list with the exception of the IRs although I should probably back them up twice as well. Two backups has saved my bacon due to a mistake while backing up setlists. It also helps protect you if one of your lists gets corrupted. Last but not least, DO NOT RESTORE A BUNDLE unless your intention is to write over the latest factory presets and templates. That is why I copy factory presets into a User setlist before I tweak them. Restoring User lists ONLY is the best way to go for the way I manage my presets. Remember, a bundle restore overwrites everything including the Factory and Templates lists with the ones from the previous firmware version (your old backup). There are other methods out there though.

1. Backup a bundle (I do this only for emergencies, never for a restore)
  2. Backup each User setlist separately (these are what I restore after a firmware update)
  3. Backup all your custom presets individually. You can do them all at one time (from each User list) by highlighting all of them and hitting the 'Export' link
  4. Backup your IRs, if they are not numbered then take a screenshot so you can restore them to the same slots after your global reset.

2: Backup each User setlist separately (these are what I restore after a firmware update)

3: Backup all your custom presets individually. You can do them all at one time (from each User list) by highlighting all of them and hitting the 'Export' link

Why do both?  Don't presets export with the setlists?

Just a tagalong question: I saved my set as a bundle (don't really need the newest factory presets), and when I loaded it up, all of my snapshots were gone. I just had to go through and rebuild/rename all of them. Any idea why this happened? Do snapshots not save past a firmware update, not save in a bundle, or did I possibly go about something incorrectly?

Why do both?  Don't presets export with the setlists?

Yes, presets export with setlists. I like having them individually as well though for yet another measure of security and sometimes I copy over a preset or tweak the wrong one and it makes it easier to get back to my original version without for instance having to restore an entire setlist for one preset. Mostly I do it just to have more redundancy. They take up almost no space and as I referred to earlier they can all be backed up at once so I don't have to do them one by one (have way too many).

Just a tagalong question: I saved my set as a bundle (don't really need the newest factory presets), and when I loaded it up, all of my snapshots were gone. I just had to go through and rebuild/rename all of them. Any idea why this happened? Do snapshots not save past a firmware update, not save in a bundle, or did I possibly go about something incorrectly?

If you can't see your snapshots in the Editor then you may have discovered a bug in the restore process or done something wrong during your restore. If you are just not seeing them on your footswitches then it is probably just how you have your Global Settings preferences set for your footswitches. Is anyone else using a bundle restore and not getting their snapshots back? Additionally, is anyone using setlist restores and not getting their snapshots back?

I have-ish. I restored it to manual recall, as that's how I had it prior to the update, but as full rows of snaps, no stomps.

If you are just not seeing your snapshots on the footswitches then this could be your global settings. If they are actually gone when you look in the Editor you have another issue entirely.

Theyre not in the editor, or any kind of global settings. They seemed to just be wiped out, entirely. All of the block and signal paths were there, but none of the changes that go from snap to snap 

I wonder if this is related to a bundle restore or if something went wrong in your particular restore process. I restored using setlists and all of my snapshots restored properly. Are your snapshots missing from the Factory setlists or the User setlists, or both? Probably not, but I am wondering if there is any chance you restored a bundle backup you made after doing the firmware update and global reset.

Note: When I refer to global settings I am referring to the  'Preset Mode Switches' under Global Settings > Footswitches. This is what determines what combination of snapshots, presets, or footswitch assignments display with your footswitches.

My suggestion is the following, a bit of a pain but worth the effort in my opinion. I make two backups of everything in this list with the exception of the IRs although I should probably back them up twice as well. Two backups has saved my bacon due to a mistake while backing up setlists. It also helps protect you if one of your lists gets corrupted. Last but not least, DO NOT RESTORE A BUNDLE unless your intention is to write over the latest factory presets and templates. That is why I copy factory presets into a User setlist before I tweak them. Restoring User lists ONLY is the best way to go for the way I manage my presets. Remember, a bundle restore overwrites everything including the Factory and Templates lists with the ones from the previous firmware version (your old backup). There are other methods out there though.

1. Backup a bundle (I do this only for emergencies, never for a restore)
  2. Backup each User setlist separately (these are what I restore after a firmware update)
  3. Backup all your custom presets individually. You can do them all at one time (from each User list) by highlighting all of them and hitting the 'Export' link
  4. Backup your IRs, if they are not numbered then take a screenshot so you can restore them to the same slots after your global reset.

One additional note here. It is a good idea to either note or write down your global settings before a firmware update as they will also be reset when you do the Global reset.

Yes, presets export with setlists. I like having them individually as well though for yet another measure of security and sometimes I copy over a preset or tweak the wrong one and it makes it easier to get back to my original version without for instance having to restore an entire setlist for one preset. Mostly I do it just to have more redundancy. They take up almost no space and as I referred to earlier they can all be backed up at once so I don't have to do them one by one (have way too many).

Thanks makes total sense.  

Is there anything else I should do or make note of before I update?  Global settings or anything else?

Thanks makes total sense.  

Is there anything else I should do or make note of before I update?  Global settings or anything else?

Not that I can think of, as long as you have a strategy for recalling global settings and IR slot position. If you carefully follow the backup/restore, firmware update, and global reset process everything else should take care of itself.

One more note and this is just my process, totally optional. I have four main directories - Bundles, Setlists, Presets, IRs. Every time I update to a new version of the firmware I create a new subdirectory under each of the four main directories named after the Editor version. For instance, for the last one I had a subdirectory in each of the main directories named 'Editor 2.01'. That is how I segregate all my backups. Now I have four new subdirectories, one each under the main directories named 'Editor 2.10'. These backups with the exceptions of the IRs are essentially simple text files (JSON I believe). They take up next to no space and I keep 'em around. That way if I ever have to roll back to a previous version everything is neatly organized. I suppose I could use some sort of versioning software but I haven't gone to the effort, although I would not be surprised if some of the hardcore programmers on this forum have done exactly that.

Each time I take additional backups under a specific Editor/firmware version I simply append them with an incremented number. When I restore after a firmware update I use the latest backup from the previous version. Sounds more complicated then it is.

There is defintely something amiss with backing up User patches. I backed up my User1 setlist and individual patches, loaded new firmware, did reset.

Factory patches updated, but whn i tried to import setlist, it did upload them, but borked Factory 2 Presets. Only half loaded and they seemed to be the old set.

Tried saving that user setlist and rest, same thing.

Any solutions. Luckily i only had about 8 original patches, so not a huge loss.