Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Updated and Lost Most of My Patches

erniedenov

MAN! I don't how it happened, but I guess somehow when I backed up my 2.00 user presets most of them didn't get copied but I didn't realize it until I tried to import my bundle back to 2.10. Hours and hours of work lost. Yesterday I spent four hours tweaking patches for my powered FRFR speaker at volume; now all of that is gone. I'm never updating again. Sometimes you have to leave well enough alone. 

MAN! I don't how it happened, but I guess somehow when I backed up my 2.00 user presets most of them didn't get copied but I didn't realize it until I tried to import my bundle back to 2.10. Hours and hours of work lost. Yesterday I spent four hours tweaking patches for my powered FRFR speaker at volume; now all of that is gone. I'm never updating again. Sometimes you have to leave well enough alone. 

Really sorry this happened, you must be tearing your hair out right about now. I assume you already tried doing the import of your backup again. If your backup files are corrupt or incomplete you may be out of luck but if not it might be worth rolling back to your last firmware version (make sure you download and install the corresponding Helix app), restore the backup you made for that version, make fresh backups, and then try the upgrade and restore process again. I recommend the following procedure for backups/restore : http://line6.com/support/topic/24043-backing-up-for-updates/?p=183526

Note: Be sure to do global resets where indicated if you decide to go the rollback route. Best of luck!

Yeah Ernie, I must say the backup and restore regimen on This thing is a bit awkward, sorry it bit you so badly. BTW, it was great to see you at the Charlie Christian gig at the Jazz Fest this summer....

Yeah Ernie, I must say the backup and restore regimen on This thing is a bit awkward, sorry it bit you so badly. BTW, it was great to see you at the Charlie Christian gig at the Jazz Fest this summer....

Fancy meeting you here, Brad! I take it you're a Helix owner; cool!

Anyway, I was obviously upset when I made that post, but I'm doing much better now... and really enjoying the new firmware! The patches that I didn't lose were the original patches I made after having the Helix for a couple of weeks. I kept refining them and saving them to new destinations (and those were the ones I lost). But now that I know my way around Helix much more than I did, I was able to tweak them back to satisfaction reasonably quickly. I'm basically a 6 to 8 patch guy anyway. I play rock/pop covers for a living (and jazz and fusion for fun and occasional profit), but I never try to sound just like the records, just try to get the kind of sounds I need to where I like them best. So at this point, I've got my patches sounding quite good; two versions, one group done with the headphone jack and no global EQ, the other with my FRFR powered speaker turned up and using global EQ. I'm happy! There's some magic mojo going on with the new firmware, some of it I have an inkling of what they did and more of it I have no idea. But this thing is sounding really great! Thank you Line 6!

Fancy meeting you here, Brad! I take it you're a Helix owner; cool!

Anyway, I was obviously upset when I made that post, but I'm doing much better now... and really enjoying the new firmware! The patches that I didn't lose were the original patches I made after having the Helix for a couple of weeks. I kept refining them and saving them to new destinations (and those were the ones I lost). But now that I know my way around Helix much more than I did, I was able to tweak them back to satisfaction reasonably quickly. I'm basically a 6 to 8 patch guy anyway. I play rock/pop covers for a living (and jazz and fusion for fun and occasional profit), but I never try to sound just like the records, just try to get the kind of sounds I need to where I like them best. So at this point, I've got my patches sounding quite good; two versions, one group done with the headphone jack and no global EQ, the other with my FRFR powered speaker turned up and using global EQ. I'm happy! There's some magic mojo going on with the new firmware, some of it I have an inkling of what they did and more of it I have no idea. But this thing is sounding really great! Thank you Line 6!

COol, Ernie, I must agree that this latest firmware (finally) has upped the tone game for Line 6, and yes my name is BRAD and I am a guitar modeler junkie...I've got 'em all (well, Axe fX, Kemper, Helix, UAD aPollo at least) and it seems to my ears that only now in recent weeks have all of them opened up some kind of firmware Pandora box of secret digital-analog conversion magic equations, and the most striking improvement is in Helix(at least today.) and I'm glad you've kissed and made up with yours. Are you still doing the Sinise gig? Doing any dates in South Florida this season?

Me too. If you havent seen my thread already. I didnt see yours before posting. My situation might be a little different than yours.

Im thinking its a problem with the import tho, so there may be hope. In my case the file name and size was properly exported - more than once - but when importing  it gives me nothing.

If our situations are similar, post one of your presets and let someone else try and import it.

Having only recently got my Helix I only had a dozen or so patches I created before the update. I exported them all before the update, and when I re-imported them after the update, two of them didn't import correctly. Basically it only loaded path 1, and path 2 was empty  however there were Y splits even though there were no FX blocks on Path 2.

Last night I created a new patch, similar to one of my old patches that didn't import correctly. I exported it, and then imported it into my "live" set and it failed to import correctly. Again it only loaded path 1. Two was empty except for the Y splits. So even patches created after this update can fail to import correctly for me.

Jay

• Upvote 1

Last night I created a new patch, similar to one of my old patches that didn't import correctly. I exported it, and then imported it into my "live" set and it failed to import correctly. Again it only loaded path 1. Two was empty except for the Y splits. So even patches created after this update can fail to import correctly for me.

Is this a repeatable event? Did you begin with a New Preset in the latest firmware/editor combo and create a preset that does not export/import successfully? If so, can you please provide detailed step-by-step instructions so others can try to recreate this problem? That would be extremely helpful to demonstrate that this is a general issue, not just particular to your PC environment, and also very useful for Line 6 debugging purposes.

Is this a repeatable event? Did you begin with a New Preset in the latest firmware/editor combo and create a preset that does not export/import successfully? If so, can you please provide detailed step-by-step instructions so others can try to recreate this problem? That would be extremely helpful to demonstrate that this is a general issue, not just particular to your PC environment, and also very useful for Line 6 debugging purposes.

If by repeatable you mean the same patch does it every time you export it and import it? Yes it does. The patch itself is pretty extensive so I haven't rebuilt it from scratch to test it. I do have one correction, the patch created after the update doesn't have the Y splits in path 2, that was only the pre-update patches. However path 2 still came in empty.

As for step by step, the detailed block by block creation of the patch is beyond what I have time to relate currently. The general process was building the patch, saving it multiple times through out it's creation, then when finished exporting it with the editor, then importing it to a different setlist.  I'm doing this on a system running Win 7 Pro 64bit.

Jay

Same issue here,

Ticket has been opened with L6 Support.

If you did a Setlist export before the update, I can give you a python script that I've made that will
extract all the infomation from the Setlist file and display the content in readable format so
you will able the recreate you preset. 

One thing I noticed when restoring patches is that sometimes patches that use a footswitch controller to toggle one block on and another off will end up having the switch incorrectly lit. For example, I use a volume block and univibe in the same patch, both using EXP 1. The FS is labeled UniVibe because that's it primary function. The volume block is then the default operation when the univibe is off. When I restored the patches, the FS was displaying the state of the volume block, not the univibe. To fix this, just touch the FS a couple of times until it is displaying the univibe block. The FS will now show the right state. Save the patch and all is well.

If by repeatable you mean the same patch does it every time you export it and import it? Yes it does. The patch itself is pretty extensive so I haven't rebuilt it from scratch to test it. I do have one correction, the patch created after the update doesn't have the Y splits in path 2, that was only the pre-update patches. However path 2 still came in empty.

As for step by step, the detailed block by block creation of the patch is beyond what I have time to relate currently. The general process was building the patch, saving it multiple times through out it's creation, then when finished exporting it with the editor, then importing it to a different setlist.  I'm doing this on a system running Win 7 Pro 64bit.

Jay

Yeah - I completely understand how time consuming it can be. I do encourage you to open a support ticket about this if you haven't done so already. This problem has all the signs of a tricky bug somewhere deep in the weeds. The more info Line 6 gets about it the more likely they are to be able to find and fix it.

One thing I noticed when restoring patches is that sometimes patches that use a footswitch controller to toggle one block on and another off will end up having the switch incorrectly lit. For example, I use a volume block and univibe in the same patch, both using EXP 1. The FS is labeled UniVibe because that's it primary function. The volume block is then the default operation when the univibe is off. When I restored the patches, the FS was displaying the state of the volume block, not the univibe. To fix this, just touch the FS a couple of times until it is displaying the univibe block. The FS will now show the right state. Save the patch and all is well.

Which switch state lights it up has always been controlled that way, by touching the switch to make a different block "current".

Are you saying that patches imported into the new firmware sometimes lose which block that is?

Are you still doing the Sinise gig? Doing any dates in South Florida this season?

Yes, still playing with Gary and the Lt. Dan Band; been 12 years now. Nothing booked in Florida so far, but gigs tend to trickle in and we have played in Orlando a few times (and did that this past year), so I'll keep you posted, Brad.

Same issue here,

Ticket has been opened with L6 Support.

If you did a Setlist export before the update, I can give you a python script that I've made that will

extract all the infomation from the Setlist file and display the content in readable format so

you will able the recreate you preset. 

I exported the bundle. Now I'm reading that this isn't the ideal way to back up patches; live and learn! Anyway, I truly appreciate the offer, but as I said in my last post in this thread, I'm okay now and over my misfortune. I really only use about 8 patches (16 if you include those ones re-tweaked for live with my powered speaker). I kept refining those with different amps and cabs and mic sims and saving them to new destinations. I lost all but the original versions of them (including all of the live ones), but I remembered a lot of the changes I'd made and had written down my global EQ settings for the live ones before I updated. So after 5 or 6 hours of work, I've gotten those 16 patches all re-tweaked and sounding very pleasing; actually better than they ever were! So I'm good! But next time there's a new firmware version, I'm going to ask some questions before diving in and then proceed with extreme caution. Thanks again for offering to help!

Which switch state lights it up has always been controlled that way, by touching the switch to make a different block "current".

Are you saying that patches imported into the new firmware sometimes lose which block that is?

Yes, it seems to loose this on patch import after updates. At least I've seen that quite a few  times.

Hmmm, too bad, that's actually-relevant bug #3 I know of in this release.

I'm still going to update when I get time, can't help it, want to play with those new amps!

It is inconvenient though. If it won't import my current fave patches from the previous release I may have to roll back until the smoke clears.

..... If it won't import my current fave patches from the previous release I may have to roll back until the smoke clears.

Yes, I think it's worth a try knowing that you can always roll back. But I think the failures are relatively few. Of course you are hearing (rightly) from those who have had preset import problems. As usual the (majority, I think, of) users who had no problems with the presets updating properly are not reporting that here. I did not have any issues but perhaps my presets are just not constructed in whatever manner it is that causes the problems. Yours may be OK too.

Well, my presets with snapshots were fine after importing into v1.10. So I think it's more than just presets. There is a known bug with the Helix floor (not rack) model and the built-in EXP pedal handling EXP1 and EXP2 in snapshots. But there's already a reliable workaround for that one. I have the rack model so perhaps that's part of why mine seem to be OK.

Ditto on the above; having the Rack / Control version, and physical EXP 1 and 2, seems to bypass some of this.

And on another note, I've found the lit-status of combination stomp switches issue repeatedly on previous firmware updates as well.

And needless to say, especially prior to Snapshots' introduction, I had a fair bit of that going on.

Re-bumping the switch status light's state at least seems to be far simpler to correct for me this time around, for some reason (either I didn't arrive at the simple method I use now, or something was fighting me in the firmware; not sure which). I just go to/highlight a block within the group stacked onto the switch which has the status (lit/dim) that matches what I want the default state of that stomp's led ring to be in, go into bypass assign, and simply roll the encoder away from and then back to the stomp switch number. Press home button, then position the 'cursor' to the spot I want it parked on as a default (the amp/one of the amps) and resave. Done.

EDIT - amsdenj on here and/or TGP mentioned about just touching the switch and then re-saving... and I wish I'd simply followed that first =]

Absolutely correct; touching the switch to cycle through the involved blocks/processes affects the LED ring when doing this; stopping when on one which puts the LED into the desired state is MUCH simpler than what I outlined above - and of course, navigating back to a desired block (particularly one involved in the switch's function) using the joystick control leaves the LED assignment alone.

Perfect - thanks for posting that.

this is happening to me. and its annoying. i dont want to make all my patches again

I really do wish Line 6 would address the whole pain in the keester upgrading process before the next Firmware revision. It has to get easier than this.

I posted a suggestion to potentially break out the preset upgrade process into a separate 'Convertor' app. Not sure if this would make things worse or better but it would at least mean you would only have to do one firmware update. If the conversion had issues you would just wait for a new version of the Convertor which would hopefully come quickly as it would not risk breaking the firmware. An alternate approach, not sure if it would be better but maybe...

I posted a suggestion to potentially break out the preset upgrade process into a separate 'Convertor' app. Not sure if this would make things worse or better but it would at least mean you would only have to do one firmware update. If the conversion had issues you would just wait for a new version of the Convertor which would hopefully come quickly as it would not risk breaking the firmware. An alternate approach, not sure if it would be better but maybe...

Well, whatever it takes.  I think that most of us would all agree that the Helix is essentially a computer. A dedicated, single purpose computer. but still a computer  Could you imagine if upgrading your desktop or laptop completely erased all the files in it every time you did an upgrade?  Not sure many of us would tolerate that. Yet, we tolerate it with the Helix. Not to dismiss what it has given us extremely fortunate guitarists and upgrading the firmware in any dedicated device puts it in a precarious position during the upgrade should there be an unplanned power outage. But I firmly believe that upgrading the firmware really shouldn't feel this dicey, complicated and nerve wracking.

I plan on doing my update tomorrow. As a precautionary measure, I am going to backup the bundle (everything in the Helix besides IRs), and also backup individual setlists. That will allow me the option to restore the bundle as a whole, or individual setlists as necessary. Don't forget to reinstall your IRs in the same order that they were in before your update!

I plan on doing my update tomorrow. As a precautionary measure, I am going to backup the bundle (everything in the Helix besides IRs), and also backup individual setlists. That will allow me the option to restore the bundle as a whole, or individual setlists as necessary. Don't forget to reinstall your IRs in the same order that they were in before your update!

If you do plan to restore the bundle rather than the individual setlists be aware that this will overwrite the updated factory setlists that are included in v2.10. So before restoring the bundle you might consider backing up the v2.10 factory setlists individually. That will give you the option to replace the previous factory setlists with the new ones if you want to do that at any time after restoring the bundle.

If you do plan to restore the bundle rather than the individual setlists be aware that this will overwrite the updated factory setlists that are included in v2.10. So before restoring the bundle you might consider backing up the v2.10 factory setlists individually. That will give you the option to replace the previous factory setlists with the new ones if you want to do that at any time after restoring the bundle.

Great tip, thanks!

Ya know, this is really sounding more like the problems a few folks are having where a few presets do not import correctly after the update, is that maybe the problem is created when the preset (or bundle or setlist) is exported. If you have a number of custom presets that you definitely don't want to lose, it might be worth re-importing them again in 2.01 BEFORE you do a Reset and BEFORE you do the Helix app and flash update, and see if they actually import OK on 2.01. At least that would tell if the problem is happening from the export. If so, maybe then you could try exporting again and see if it's a random error or if maybe some preset configurations just don't export correctly for some reason.

I have only seen this on one preset myself (it opened as totally empty, except for my saved title on 2.10), and it was not an important preset fortunately. But it was interesting that I went back to the 2.01 Helix app and flash version and that preset opened the same way with 2.01. So, that seems to point to the problem not being with the 2.10 update, but more likely the 2.01 export, and something to do with this particular preset configuration. The preset did have a split path, and I believe I had used both main paths. Unfortunately i cannot recall if I had Snapshots or other details about it though.

• Upvote 1

Thing is, if it's a problem with 201 exports, alone, nothing to do with 210, you'd think it would have been discovered long before 210 came out. Still could be true, but that'd be weird. Or maybe people exported from 201, but didn't try importing those files until they needed to, after upgrading to 201. But it seems like SoMeBoDy would have done that and run into this.

• 2 weeks later...