Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.10 update and WORKBENCH WORKBENCH WORKBENCH

isdirg1

It's coming but the timing is unpredictable. In terms of priorities we have to remember that the number of Variax owners is a relatively small percentage of the number of Helix owners. The early firmware updates target all users, not just a few. It was the same with the POD HD series - Workbench integration was a later development.

Also we need to acknowledge that all Variax JTV/Standard owners can use Workbench HD now with the interface device that came with the Variax. So there is actually no new functionality for Variax owners with Helix Workbench integration. It's more convenient, and I too am waiting for it, but I think it's better for Line 6 to focus its efforts now on providing new functionality to all users, not increased convenience for some.

But be assured .... it is coming.

• Upvote 4

Thanks Silver.

we have to remember that the number of Variax owners is a relatively small percentage of the number of Helix owners. 

I never thought about it much,  but was surprised when I read this considering the amount of time Variax has been out.

Thanks Silver.

I never thought about it much,  but was surprised when I read this considering the amount of time Variax has been out.

I think the real problem in that regard is being able to get your hands on one and try it out.  I have yet to go into a music store and find one.  There's not a chance I'd get one of these without first feeling the action and getting a feel for the tone.  I've been interested from time to time as I'm constantly switching guitars when I play, but without getting some hands on there's no way I'd make the jump.

And no...I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering one, playing it for 30 days then packing it up to get my money back.  I'm not THAT interested.

I never thought about it much, but was surprised when I read this considering the amount of time Variax has been out.

Well, I should say that this is just my opinion not based on any official Line 6 market information. I'm just thinking that very few guitar players in the world actually own a Variax. I expect that ratio is higher among Helix owners but still a definite minority.

It is good to know that Helix-Variax owners are a minority compared to other Helix owners, shedding some light on Line 6 prioritization.  Maybe Line 6 isn't as driven to enhance the Helix-Variax-DT experience to potentially sell more current-gen Variax and DT amps as I thought.  I suppose that makes sense.  I certainly do appreciate the new user type-agnostic content and features issued in the updates this year.

As a new JTV Variax owner, maybe it's just my inexperience with Helix and Variax, but I have difficulty getting the same levels and tone with Variax via 1/4" to Helix (VDI to the USB interface to computer while I am tweaking in Workbench HD) than when I go VDI-direct to Helix for live use. I am tweaking pickup types, position, levels, etc. in Workbench HD to the Helix amps/preset while connected 1/4" to Helix.  But when I go back to VDI to Helix, it's just slightly off.  Oh well, I guess that level of subtlety wont be noticed by the audience in a mix, but it is a bit frustrating.

Additionally, (user error of course) but I occasionally seem to miss the Variax controls and model settings on the Helix input block while I was in computer Helix-Variax preset tweak/edit mode and have had to fix live.  It's pretty inconvenient and doesn't logically flow well at the moment for me.  

DT integration/edit Helix settings are challenging as well, but that has been beat to death and OT for this thread.

But none of these issues are really gating, just annoyances to me.  I would hate to derail new Helix-centric content and feature development for these.  I enjoy getting new amps and effects quarterly :)

But none of these issues are really gating, just annoyances to me.  I would hate to derail new Helix-centric content and feature development for these.  I enjoy getting new amps and effects quarterly :)

I have to agree, I am also a Variax owner and although I definitely hope Workbench functionality makes its way into the Helix at some point it is a low priority for me as that functionality already exists through the Variax USB adaptor even though as roscoe5 points out that is not ideal for the Helix workflow.

There are only a few missing features left that make me think "It's STUPID that Helix can't do this," and Variax Workbench support is on that short list. Snapshots were a huge one—check. Auto engage was another big one—check. The action panel for Bypass Assign (where you can clear all Bypass Assignments) was more of a completist thing for me personally, as all the other menus had action panels.

If anything, I just want the list done so we can focus on cool, crazy things that people don't expect. Checking off lists is exhausting and boring.

• Upvote 1

Also we need to acknowledge that all Variax JTV/Standard owners can use Workbench HD now with the interface device that came with the Variax.

Not me unfortunately. I bought my JTV-89 second hand from a guitar centre in the US, and when it arrived here in Australia I found that it didn't include the interface device. I haven't been able to find a Interface for sale in Australia either.

...but I have difficulty getting the same levels and tone with Variax via 1/4" to Helix (VDI to the USB interface to computer while I am tweaking in Workbench HD) than when I go VDI-direct to Helix for live use. I am tweaking pickup types, position, levels, etc. in Workbench HD to the Helix amps/preset while connected 1/4" to Helix.  But when I go back to VDI to Helix, it's just slightly off.  ...

It could be that your 1/4" cable is adding some impedence to your signal that you are not hearing through the VDI connection. A 1/4" cable is "unbalanced" and, especially if you use a longer cable, the impedence on the signal running through it would darken your tone a little. I'm guessing that either the Variax output via the VDI connection is digital or the CAT-5 cable it uses is "balanced." In either case, there wouldn't be any impedence altering the Variax's tone (maybe an unbalanced cable just has a negligible amount of impedence, someone with more technical knowledge would have to answer that). 

Your post got me thinking about a complaint I've had with the Variax sounding too edgy or punchy through the Helix. I hadn't considered this, but it could be because I always use the VDI connection rather than 1/4". Perhaps the work-around for this is to use one of the effect loops as the first block in the signal chain and just use it to run your signal through the 1/4" cable you would normally use as your guitar output. I'll be interested to try that myself.

..... but I have difficulty getting the same levels and tone with Variax via 1/4" to Helix (VDI to the USB interface to computer while I am tweaking in Workbench HD) than when I go VDI-direct to Helix for live use. I am tweaking pickup types, position, levels, etc. in Workbench HD to the Helix amps/preset while connected 1/4" to Helix.  But when I go back to VDI to Helix, it's just slightly off.

..... :)

One explanation for that is the Guitar-In-Z parameter that exists on the 1/4" guitar input but not on the VDI input.