Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax and impedance

CBTL

I think the reason is that the signal from the Variax is digital and not analog, so there is a fixed impedance that the digital signal looks for (probably 110 ohms) the digital signal would not be changed tonally with input impedance changes like it does with an analog amplifier input.

-Max

Been hoping for Z adjustment for the VDI and Variax for quite some time, and understand the issue that the Variax signal through the VDI is digital, but also, this is a modeling system, so could it be modeled? Seems to me it's possible...

Dave

The issue is not when using the digital side of the Variax. The big diffrence is when using the magnetic pickups, which are still my favorite sound from my JTV59.

The Mags sound miles better when connected with a guitar cable rather than the Ethernet one, which I attribute to:

1. the impedance circuit on the guitar in

2. Higher quality A/D converters for the mag signal in the Helix compared to the Variax (connecting through guitar cable sends an analog signal to the Helix, connecting via ethernet means the mags are A/D converted in the older tech Variax.