Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has Anyone Tried Powering Their Pod Hd Pro With A Peavey Valveking, Or Similar Cheap Tube Heads Through The Fx Return?

Magmarv

My guitarist and I have recently switched amps to the Pod HD Pro, and he uses his old 6505+ to power his Pod, while I invested in a cheap solid state power amp (Crown XLS1000) to power mine. Although I don't mind my tone, I do like how his sounds more powerful and is easier to power live. We recently played at a bar that had no home monitors and I had to max my power amp to barely get loud enough to be heard. We play out of Vader and Mesa cabs, and our genre is more on the Death Metal side than anything else. I've decided to invest in a cheap tube head to power my pod while I save up for a 6505+, and a used Peavey Valveking (100w) and Crate Blue Voodoo (120w) came to mind, since they are both tube amps that I can run through the effects return and buy for around 300 USD, maybe less. My question is, has anyone tried powering their pod with either amp? It seems like it may be a decent temporary fix to my problem. That way we can at least be close tone and power-wise.

Is your cab 8ohms? If you are running it bridged mono that should be giving you about 700watts which should be plenty of volume. Are you using the line out and have the output on the Pod turned all the way up?

I'm using a different tube amp, but I think either of those should be a good power section for the Pod. Honestly, you probably wouldn't need the 6505 unless you want to have the amp as a backup.

Hi Magmarv

Death Metal isn't my kind of thing, but I've used my HD500 into the effects return of a Peavey Valveking 50 1*12 combo in a covers band - in a small venue this was plenty loud enough for me.

I've also used it with 250 watt full range solid state monitors and got good results.

This may be HD500 101 - but just checking you've got the switch on the top panel set to line out rather than amp? Amp is for going into the guitar in and is still at guitar output kind of level, whilst line out is closer to what the guitar preamp should be putting out into the power amp section - could explain your volume issue.

+1 to dbagchee - max out the power amp and use the POD master to control the volume.  If your Crown is capable of 700 watts, you should have plenty.

Two guitarists going for the same sound is always a potential recipe for a volume competition - this may be heresy, but you might want to ask your bandmate to turn his 6505 down a bit, and/or look for a different tone that compliments his in the mix.

Good luck

Mark

Yeah, Death metal can get quite thin sounding with multiple guitars using similar levels of distortion washing one or the other out. He probably has a similar conundrum to yours and is posting right now on the Peavy forum for why he can't hear his amp LOLOL

Try the advices already given.

At next rehearsal have a band meeting and talk about pre production. Calve spaces for each other. I

When you both play the same rifs one of you play it in a different position on the fretboard. This will help the most to stop wash out.

Whoever does the most fill or lead work get a mid boost and a bass and treble cut. This will cut through.

The treble boost and mid cut makes space for the lead.

Leave space for the bass. Oh thats right Death metal bassist add distortion too and aren't heard or felt and might as well not be there as they are washed out by the guitars.

My advice for Bass is to use a guitar amp for any distortion while running regular amp clean using a good split. 

Remove any global distortion pedals

its gotta be a settigns issue, as that amplifier should be able to push that 6505 right out the door if needed. Like these guys said, check your line/amp switch, mixer levels in the POD...and like bjnette said, work on your tone as a group. If you both have awesomely massive sounding distortions when playing alone, you'll sound like poop playing together. A "good" heavy guitar sound actually needs to carry more mids and highs then anything and if your bassist is a root-note-along-with-guitar type player, a thinner guitar sound will actually be beneficial.