Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware Update Only; 1.06.05 > 2.10; Is Line 6 Updater enough?

MusicLaw

I have a brand new HELIX with fw 1.06.05 that needs to be updated to 2.10.

Can this be safely accomplished by following steps 1 and 5 through 7 of the Line 6 Official firmware installation instructions? (See except below) In otherwords using Line 6 Updater without having to install HELIX editor or other USB Audio drivers?

I will be borrowing a PC solely for the firmware update. Thus, I presume, there is no need for Audio Interface USB drivers nor HELIX Editor stuff to be installed on the borrowed computer.

Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of to streamline the process and avoid having the borrowed computer burdened with the installation of extraneous HELIX Editor or other software for USB Audio interface etc?

[EXCERPTED FROM LINE 6 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS]

1. Shut down <snip> any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, etc.

2. <Snip>

3. <Snip> download and install the NEW Helix editor application <snip>, available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater <snip>.

4. <Snip>

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater <snip>, update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware <snip>. At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. <Snip>.

YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX <snip> WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW:

7. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix/Helix Rack.

HELIX FLOOR ONLY: While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.​

You really should have a computer you use all the time with the Helix..............it's kind of assumed - but yes, you can do it with a borrowed computer.

You can update without the editor, but you won't be able to put back any of your patches etc without the latest editor.  As you say your machine is brand new, I think you just do the firmware update.  

But really, you need the editor - it's the way to backup you Helix (as well as a really good way to build sounds, patches, manage IR's etc).  And as you should be regularly backing up at least, you will need a good arrangement with the computer's owner to keep some stuff on their machine or at least get a nice big USB stick and keep everything including the latest editor on that.

Otherwise when the next really good update comes you will be unable to save anything you have done in between.

• Upvote 1

I second the above. Get a computer to use with your Helix. Otherwise all the effort you put into building your own presets is vulnerable and can be lost at a moment's notice. Everyone should back up their presets regularly and the Helix app/editor is the only way to do that.

How about this approach: In the above list, include Step 3. When you download the Helix editor app you are just downloading the installer file. When you run the installer you get to choose the components to install. I would install the driver as well as the Line 6 Updater program since you may need the driver for the Updater to work properly. You don't need to install the editor so uncheck that box.

... then get yourself a computer for backups and future firmware updates and repeat Step 3, this time installing all components.

Thanks guys!

Through decades of technology business and legal affairs, audio engineering, and computer IT experience, I've grown accustomed to the plain reality that with every new iteration of a product firmware upgrade there are quite likely to be issues. It is always a best approach to get input from those whom have already plowed the road!

A new PC is in the works, for early 2017, if not sooner. Until then this HELIX will strictly be a stand alone device.

It is truly unfortunate that for these sorts of firmware update houskeeping chores, Line 6 has not yet provided Android support for the HELIX. The several Android Tablets I currently use are quite adept at USB OTG chores for a panoply of other devices.