Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help! New Firmware Bricked My Helix

drewstunes77

Hopefully someone can help - I downloaded firmware 2.10 and everything seemed to ok until the end when it said Update failed.  So I turned the Helix off and back on and all it does is flash Helix Rack on the screen (no, I  don't have a Helix Rack, just the floorboard).  I tried rebooting it while holding down footswitches 9 and 10 and same thing.  I tried again to do the update and the updater says it is currently running 2.10 and when I try and update it again the Helix is unresponsive.  When I try and open the editor it says

"Helix Device cannot be instantiated.  Another App has claimed the Helix Device.  Please quit all Line 6 applications before quitting Helix."

I have run previous updates without incident.  Hoping someone has a solution - thanks in advance!

Andrew

.... I downloaded firmware 2.10....

The installation instructions do not call for downloading the firmware directly. You start by downloading the editor app installer file, which includes the latest driver and the latest version of the Line 6 Updater program, and then you run Line 6 Updater. It's the Updater program that downloads and installs the updated firmware.

Try starting with the Helix app (in the Downloads section of this website select Helix in the Software, not Product, field) and follow the instructions carefully. When you need your Helix device try starting it up as indicated above. If this does not work you should open a support ticket.

• Upvote 1

So I guess I'm confused.  I downloaded Helix 2.10 from the downloads page and then went through the Updater to update my Helix.  Is that not right?  I see now that the second software download listed is Flash Memory but I didn't do anything with that - only the first download that just says Helix and lists all the enhancements with 2.10.  I don't see anything that editor app installer file.

• 1 month later...

Hi - I'm having exactly the same problem - but I never tried to update the firmware directly - I did the Helix editor download first to upgrade from 2.01 to 2.11.

I backed up all my presets / set lists and IRs before downloading the 2.11 editor update.

Having done all of this - i then launched the Line6 updater (showing version 1.10) and proceeded with the online update for firmware 2.12. Everything was going fine till it said "Helix Update Failed" please switch off / on the Helix and try again.

When Helix comes back on it flashes between Helix  and Helix Rack and sort of sits there with the Line6 logo in the background. Line6 Updater see's it as a Helix 2.12 but every time I try to update it again it just fails. I've pretty competent at this and have done all the updates since version 1.0 and never had this issue.

I've tried holding down FS 6 + 12 but then the Line6 Updater software doesn't see the Helix at all.

I tried going back to FW 2.00 and the updater seems to complete the update but the Helix unit will not reboot and rebuild setlists. I reboot the Helix and goes back to flashing Helix / Helix Rack and the updater software see's the Helix as 2.12 still.

What a pain!

I'm using a MacBook Pro - have used different USB ports and no joy. I even tried doing an offline update and that failed too.

I'm running MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

What do I do?

I'm running Sierra as well, on an iMac 27" late 2009/ early 2010 model. Have a rack Helix and controller. Try shutting everything off and waiting 5 minutes. Let everything boot up and then turn Helix on last (make sure the controller is off if you have it and a rack unit). Try reinstalling again. I can't think of anything else to try at that point. Contact Line 6 and submit a ticket. 

To anyone else who reads this - I finally managed to get the Helix to do the update.

I tried pretty much everything. I swapped USB cables and that alone didn't solve the problem - but then I tried holding down FS 9+10 whilst powering on and finally the update then starting progressing as normal.

All I can say to anyone else who has this problem is to just persevere and keep trying different things / combinations and eventually it worked.

Go figure.

It's really nice that the Helix isn't permanently bricked when a firmware update gets interrupted. There are other devices (not in the music equipment world) that are permanently bricked when that happens, and you land up just throwing it in the trash. I guess that is why I am so careful updating my Helix...

It's really nice that the Helix isn't permanently bricked when a firmware update gets interrupted. There are other devices (not in the music equipment world) that are permanently bricked when that happens, and you land up just throwing it in the trash. I guess that is why I am so careful updating my Helix...

So true, I remember old routers were particularly prone to bricking when an update failed and often had to be returned for re-flashing by the manufacturer or just junked if they were not worth the expense.  Wherever possible every device should allow a restore to its original firmware through a hardware button reset combination. This protects both manufacturers and consumers by minimizing warranty service, customer dissatisfaction, and returns. It also ensures that a bad firmware update cannot be used to "encourage" repurchase of an item. Not trying to whip up a conspiracy theory here about some of those old routers or other devices. Perhaps they did not intentionally scheme to put out defective firmware updates, but the hit to their reputation or bottom line did not seem to prevent some companies from being pretty cavalier about the robustness of their updates and every once in a while there would be a release for a device that fairly consistently bricked it for its unsuspecting user during the update process. Hey look, new sales!!  Wow that sounded pretty cynical, just trying to say, if possible always have a way to reset to the original factory firmware unless the unit has hardware damage.

• 1 month later...

Maybe this will be a solution for others. A couple of days ago I received my new Helix. I was surprised, given the Helix was released about a year and a half ago, that it had v.1.x.x.x. So before even trying to use it I proceeded to flash it only to have it fail within the first minute and display the dreaded “Helix update failed†please switch off and try again..blah..blah. Of course after the restart, I then saw the annoying flashing between Helix/Helix Rack thing. I tried some of the 2-footswitch reset combos, but still no luck, the update would always fail. Decided to sleep on it and try again the next day.

The next day I spent about an hour and a half reading different posts on the Line 6 Forum. I had already decided that the next time I attempted the update that I would do it in offline mode, which is something I found that others mentioned. This is how I was able to update my Helix:

Note: I did not use the Helix app to back up anything on my Helix since it was brand new. If you want to keep your presets, IRs and set lists make sure you do a backup before proceeding.

1. I borrowed a laptop from work so that I could rule out any issues with my home desktop. Not saying my desktop won’t work with the method described below, but I wanted to start with a clean slate. If I were to try my desktop at home, I’d uninstall all Line 6 software, maybe run a registry cleaner such as CCleaner, and then reinstall. Make sure you’ve disconnected your Helix from your computer.

2. Download the latest Helix Editor (currently v2.11). This contains the Line 6 Updater, The Helix Application, and drivers for the Helix in one package. I used Chrome as my browser although I would think Firefox would be fine too, but Edge could be questionable.

3. Download Firmware (currently v2.12). The reason you download this from the Line 6 site rather than through the Line 6 updater is so that you can do the firmware install “offlineâ€. It is not a big file and downloads quickly if you have a fast connection.

4. Connect your Helix to your computer and turn on. Once you see the flashing Helix/Helix Rack thing, open the Line 6 updater. Click the Offline Mode button. Hopefully you then see your Helix as the device to update. Click on your Helix. You will then need to browse to where you downloaded the firmware update. Double click and run it. At this point you may fail again as before which is what happened to me. If that happens, close the updater and turn off the Helix.

5. Press and hold Helix footswitches 6 & 12 (safe mode), then turn on the power. I held the buttons for around 30 seconds, which may be unnecessary, but when you enter safe mode nothing lights up so it’s hard to tell what exactly is happening.

6. Open the Line 6 updater, click on Offline Mode, click on your Helix and browse for the firmware file again and run it. If for some reason you don’t see your device in the updater, close the updater, and unplug the USB cable from your computer without turning off the Helix, wait a few seconds and reconnect the USB cable to your computer, and open the updater again and select your device and browse to the firmware file. Once initiated you should now see the red progress bar and your firmware should install. Eventually you’ll see your Helix display go back to normal and see the scribble strips with their patch names.

7. You are not done yet. After the firmware update, you need to turn off the Helix and restart with foot switches 9 & 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row) held down until you see the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, set lists, and IRs…†then let go. As Line 6 makes clear, do not skip this step.

I sincerely hope this will help others out!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this will be a solution for others. A couple of days ago I received my new Helix. I was surprised, given the Helix was released about a year and a half ago, that it had v.1.x.x.x. So before even trying to use it I proceeded to flash it only to have it fail within the first minute and display the dreaded “Helix update failed†please switch off and try again..blah..blah. Of course after the restart, I then saw the annoying flashing between Helix/Helix Rack thing. I tried some of the 2-footswitch reset combos, but still no luck, the update would always fail. Decided to sleep on it and try again the next day.

The next day I spent about an hour and a half reading different posts on the Line 6 Forum. I had already decided that the next time I attempted the update that I would do it in offline mode, which is something I found that others mentioned. This is how I was able to update my Helix:

Note: I did not use the Helix app to back up anything on my Helix since it was brand new. If you want to keep your presets, IRs and set lists make sure you do a backup before proceeding.

1. I borrowed a laptop from work so that I could rule out any issues with my home desktop. Not saying my desktop won’t work with the method described below, but I wanted to start with a clean slate. If I were to try my desktop at home, I’d uninstall all Line 6 software, maybe run a registry cleaner such as CCleaner, and then reinstall. Make sure you’ve disconnected your Helix from your computer.

2. Download the latest Helix Editor (currently v2.11). This contains the Line 6 Updater, The Helix Application, and drivers for the Helix in one package. I used Chrome as my browser although I would think Firefox would be fine too, but Edge could be questionable.

3. Download Firmware (currently v2.12). The reason you download this from the Line 6 site rather than through the Line 6 updater is so that you can do the firmware install “offlineâ€. It is not a big file and downloads quickly if you have a fast connection.

4. Connect your Helix to your computer and turn on. Once you see the flashing Helix/Helix Rack thing, open the Line 6 updater. Click the Offline Mode button. Hopefully you then see your Helix as the device to update. Click on your Helix. You will then need to browse to where you downloaded the firmware update. Double click and run it. At this point you may fail again as before which is what happened to me. If that happens, close the updater and turn off the Helix.

5. Press and hold Helix footswitches 6 & 12 (safe mode), then turn on the power. I held the buttons for around 30 seconds, which may be unnecessary, but when you enter safe mode nothing lights up so it’s hard to tell what exactly is happening.

6. Open the Line 6 updater, click on Offline Mode, click on your Helix and browse for the firmware file again and run it. If for some reason you don’t see your device in the updater, close the updater, and unplug the USB cable from your computer without turning off the Helix, wait a few seconds and reconnect the USB cable to your computer, and open the updater again and select your device and browse to the firmware file. Once initiated you should now see the red progress bar and your firmware should install. Eventually you’ll see your Helix display go back to normal and see the scribble strips with their patch names.

7. You are not done yet. After the firmware update, you need to turn off the Helix and restart with foot switches 9 & 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row) held down until you see the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, set lists, and IRs…†then let go. As Line 6 makes clear, do not skip this step.

I sincerely hope this will help others out!

Both computers, my desktop, and borrowed laptop are Windows 10.