Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d - Mix Output Options

Hi Guys,

Our band plays at a lot of venues with interesting sound control requirements. We run an M20d as our mixer into my Nexo sound system - we run that as per normal, but the venue is trying to cover a large area with many rooms, so they order us to plug a stereo feed into their in-house ceiling system, so that our main mix I pull from stage gets piped throughout various rooms in the venue..

So I run straight out of the M20d stereo main outs into my PA and mix that for audience directly where we're playing, but how do I patch that same mix into to the house system. They usually have two XLR inputs (left and right stereo ins) on the wall side of stage we need to plug into.. On my old desk I had a summed stereo out with separate gain knob I could use. How should I do it on the M20d - it doesn't have such a thing..

Thanks,

Stu

If you have two spare monitor feeds from the M20d you can use those set to the main mix.

Thanks Silverhead, that's a great suggestion. I'm heading down to the shed o' rehearsal now to experiment with it.. I actually have four spare monitor sends atm (I'm too lazy to drag monitors along to these little noise-restricted gigs we're currently doing).. I'll experiment now, but if I can't figure out how to set it I'll pop back in and ask you.. :-)

I wasn't very clear. You don't virtually assign the monitor sends to the Mains on the M20d. You have to set up a pair of stereo monitors as stage icons on the M20d. Then you feed the house system separately via a pair of XLR cables coming from the M20d Monitor outputs (A & B or whatever two you want).

In the M20d Monitors page you setup two monitor stage icons and make them a stereo pair. Then you set them to Linked mode so that they reflect any changes to the individual Channel levels. Between the Monitor Send levels on the M20d and the house system you set the overall house volume level, balancing it with your M20d Main outs/PA level.

You may need to independently assign any Global FX to the monitors, or they may inherit any Channel Global FX assignments - I don't know. I haven't personally experimented with this setup but I'm sure that the manual Section 5, along with page 3-12, and your own experimentation should get you there without too much trouble.

Let us know how it goes.

You may need to independently assign any Global FX to the monitors, or they may inherit any Channel Global FX assignments - I don't know.

Thanks for the clarification Silverhead. I thought I was going a little nutz there, pressing buttons galore for no apparent progress ;-).

I'll try experimenting with the settings to try and establish what has to happen in order for a stereo monitor send to mirror the main outs exactly. Bit beyond my expertise I'd say but I'll give it a go..!

Yeah it would be nice to be able to do a virtual mapping but using the monitor outputs will require some setup and experimentation. Don't forget the more direct solution offered by SiWatts69 in post #2 above re: using the THRU/OUT jacks on your PA speakers if they exist.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I do this myself - run a pair of Auxes to the house system, so I think it's a great answer to what you're needing to do.

However, in your case, ceiling speakers are a monaural system, NOT STEREO. So a single Aux send is really all you need.

It's nice to have separate EQ for that output, to compensate for any weirdness in the house PA.

• 1 month later...

I did a large multi room restaurant gig for couple years with M20d. I was using a stereo mic (sometimes sm58 mic) at front of stage - relatively close to drums and muting it from mains. I also did a DI from bass. Now use monitor out which was sent to the house PA for speakers in ceiling of other rooms. The fun part is using the iPad and go to other room to mix it. I had best results mixing ceiling speakers from men's room which had a speaker I could hear real clear.- but distance depends on wireless signal strength- I used 5G.